Writing topic 1: writing

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Deleted member 41274, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Deleted member 41274

Deleted member 41274 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you good at writing randomly on the spot, creating stories or something enjoyable to read? I suck so much at it. But maybe this can be fun.

If you want to write something no matter what it is about writing, how would it be? I just had this thought.

Maybe writing is the hobby of some authors. I heard normally, when authors write a story, they have a plot in their mind, and they craft a plan on how to write this plot, with the special trades of their characters already in mind. When I saw @Zheya collecting ideas for his stories from time to time, it was interesting. Many people here write their stories, ai chan, rdawv are just two I think of spontaneously. I think writing on paper has a charm. Maybe nowadays everybody writes on computers or tablets. What stupid things am I saying? How can it be convenient to write on a tablet? That must be really slow and awkward like when I type this on my phone now. And I wonder if people choose topics like this and randomly write something about them when they are bored...

Writing topic 2: reading.
    How fast do people read and do they enjoy it? Would they consider it their hobby? I can read on two languages, because I know them well, English and German. I know words of Spanish and Latin, but when it comes to Chinese I can only read hello, some numbers, the elements, maybe one or two standard poems for kids and my name. It's just not something I read everyday. What I read everyday is just two languages. Be it in the library or on NU or webnovels, or the subtitles of anime.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2019
    Kuro_0ni and AMissingLinguist like this.
  2. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I tend to differ a bit about this "and they craft a plan on how to write this plot" because you see, what is needed to start writing is the idea(what is the novel about) and then the resolution(a strong will or a cause/goal) to continue writing the story, as some might start great but as the story progresses the plot and development crumbles, as authors in such cases just thinks on how to fill the chapters and might give up on it at some point.
    Regadless of how great the novel is, some people just start writing without a plan nor clear plot in mind (some end up with a great novel and some don't) and some plan their story and events step by step(but they don't necessarily end up with a great novel), I say it is a luck thing more or less :hmm:

3. Fairlady1996

Fairlady1996 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    im not a good author but i have a really imaginative mind,, so when i write a story i like to use pov than third person pov. When i read transmigration, i wrote transmigration, then werewolf version also wrote one, then i read bully x abused kid and i wrote the same genre too. The only similarities are that all of them is unfinished :blobjoy::blobjoy:. Someone told me my writing style is so random. I only wrote when i got aspiration from the book i read. And i going to continue only if i had an idea. Writing is just my way to express my creativity when i felt like to. Sometimes, i only wrote the scene i imagine randomly.

4. Fairlady1996

Fairlady1996 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    wow ,very detail. I just wrote what i like and i just use simple setting with spontaneous idea. My style would be use all five sense to describe. When im thinking of interesting scene i will jotted it down in smartphone. And when i continue my novel, will randomly pick out any suitable scene.

5. OverlyFriendly

OverlyFriendly I should do something about

Reading List:
    Link
    I think writing down on paper is good, because it helps gather more solid ideas and I find it easier to revisit thing's I've written down on journals.
    Have a certain fondness and memories of it too :blobsmile:

6. Ignus

Ignus Philosopher of Flames

Reading List:
    Link
    I find waking dreams the best moment for creativity.
    That moment when you first wake up, and are half asleep, or the reverse as your drifting off to sleep.
    I can visualize whole scenes and conversations at this moment.
    Also come up with creative solutions that link plot points together.
    Then its a matter of writing it down.

Sadly, even though I excel at this, the creative portion, I am terrible with the execution. Never been good with writing the English Language.

An Idea I've had in the back of my mind for an aspiring writer, is to take an existing story, one that bothers them, and make corrections to it.
    Starting with the plot, fixing key areas that ruined immersion, then moving on to the world building, names, places, descriptions.
    Then perhaps even editing the characters: Now you have another generic Xianxia, but you've learned portions of how to write, not just story boarding.

7. Silver Snake

Silver Snake Magician of NUF|Show-off|Awkward|Genius

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd like to think I'm fairly good at writing spontaneously. I just need a word or a feeling and I can pump out 2 pages of something readable. I can't say whether it's easy or hard. It's not something you think about. It's something you feel, and you either can or cannot express it. Things like doubt or lack of knowledge can stop it. I find reading helps. What better way to make your words understandable than by understanding the words of others? And for the doubt part, it's often forgotten and lost in that feeling.

Though that's for shorter pieces. Doubt is far more looming when you write something longer form. The logical inconsistencies, the wondering if you're writing has degraded, the thought that no one will ever read this so I should write something more eye-catching. I think I'm good at writing, but I don't want to be good, I want to be great. And the frustration of knowing you're not something but still wanting to be it is immense.

Thoughts like what's the point if I can't be the best. I'm still an amateur myself. And though I think I could one day be considered great, I can't help but wonder if it would be worth it. If I find myself on the precipice and feel nothing. Would that not be the most crushing defeat? I suppose only time will tell.

8. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Try looking through writer notes on what's effect they wanted happen to it's readers. Tearjerkers in example have it comedic first half, romantic bonding second half, tragic separation for the finale to achieve tearjerking effect.

9. ziya

ziya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess for me I mostly write stuff that i think or daydream about during class. And with the very vague idea I start to write. Sometimes it turns out great and sometimes it gets boring and I stop. But like it was said before, its up to luck, most people have a general idea as you need to have a general idea to actually start a story. Sometimes when you have a plan set up, it helps people organise and know what they want to write about, but for them, if they always follow it they may lose interest and just write for the sake of writing. While people who start without a clear idea can improvise and change but it can also go pretty bad depending on the person I guess.
    But personally, I think that a good novel is made by someone who enjoys what they are doing and are having fun writing. It helps and motivates you to keep going.

Kuro_0ni likes this.
  10. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I suck.
    I only write what I have dreamed and try to adjust it to make more sense.
    The fact that none of them are complete yet shows how that is going.