Wtf is up with Martial World?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by AncientDaoist, Feb 15, 2016.

?

Do you think there should be a translator's code for novel pickups?

1. Yes

75 vote(s)
    65.8%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    7.9%
  3. Don't care as long as I get my reading fix

30 vote(s)
    26.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kryner

kryner BYSTANDER BY NATURE

Reading List:
    Link
    just put the translations in

let them have their ways
    and if the other one gives up and gets sick of the drama then congratulations
    you can now tl it by yourself

2. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    People can give dao more positive comments and then maybe he'll have hope.

3. Arua

Arua Umu...~

Reading List:
    Link
    The very fact that we, as readers, are reacting strongly against it is a positive point by itself. It shows translators that people won't easily condone that kind of behavior.
    We can't enforce any kind of code or whatever, but we can at least express our disagreement when something wrong is going on.
    If we don't say anything, future translators will take it for granted that whatever they do, even if they go and steal projects around, people won't care. Most of us do care.

Translation Nation seems to really want MW, but sadly someone else took the first step before them. That's a pity, but it doesn't entitle them to go and harass the guy until he drops the project because he wants to work alone.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    Poor_Hero, NeaxD, Shinra and 2 others like this.
  4. Warnock

Warnock Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You want him to fight against a core member with his meager cultivation level? What we need to do is to kill the evil core member, sure us without cultivation are but ants against a core member, but maybe if we go at him at thousands we can win..

5. NaM

NaM 『♔ Re dell'appostarsi』(The GentleMaN)

Reading List:
    Link
    The reason martial world exist. Is to tell the world true martial world exist... [end]

6. shade0180

shade0180 your shadow

Reading List:
    Link
  7. Warnock

Reading List:
    Link
    Nay, i heard the only thing they have in common is the purple card.. other than that is a different story on the same universe (or so i heard, havnt read it myself)

8. LordCorwin

LordCorwin Supreme Book Lord; Leader of the Fiction Faction

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure I get why we're all up in their business about this. I get that it can be frustrating if two or more groups fight over a project and it results in neither working on it. I get that if someone comes in after the fact, for whatever reason and tries to "claim" the project, it seems kind of like a douche move. But, as someone pointed out earlier, we don't know what happened earlier. Even if you talked to both parties you can't be sure unless you were there for the initial conversation. Because anything either one of them say now is filtered through their own righteous indignation. As the the 'quotes' that either side can post, how do you prove authenticity? Everything from text to time stamps can be edited and I doubt many, if any of us can claim the sort of technical expertise to determine otherwise. I'd be more likely to believe one or the other if there were audio recordings, and even then, it all boils down to one trite, cliche saying, although the gender determination might be wrong;

HE SAID; SHE SAID

That's all this has boiled down to. Yes, if TN was planning on doing this project, they should have floated it out into the community and tried to essentially 'reserve' it. But even if you did, there is no guarantee that daoseeker or any other involved party would have found out about it. There are new groups popping up every so often who might not know about existing 'unspoken' rules.

Another thing to consider is the whole concept that only one group can work on a project at a time. I think we all see why it is courteous, and if you can't figure out why it's desirable(so we have more to read) then you need to pull your head out of your ass. But none of these groups are corporations, or for that matter, the original content holder or the company that has the rights to the content. It's not like you can take them to court about working on the same project on their own personal time. Sometimes the TLs and the fans all seem to forget, that other people can essentially work on what they want to, and are not limited by their current project. I know this can be frustrating, even more so when a group slows down on one project to pick up another. But unless you have a contract from the content holder giving you sole guardianship over an English translation project, then you are just throwing a tantrum.

And while I personally would rather see as many projects being done as possible, and the slower groups working with others to speed up releases(yes I'm a greedy leecher). I still don't complain about blastron for example working on Kumo desu ga, Nani ka? despite the fact that Raising the Dead was already continuing the translation from where it stopped. We want one group or individual to be considerate towards the rest of the community, but at the same time, the rules are little better than playground rules; first come, first serve or I licked it first, so it's mine(I hope you get the point).

Two somewhat serious things to consider. What exactly are the rules of the legally dubious Translation Community? And secondly, where's your authority to enforce them?

If someone breaks these unwritten rules, is everyone supposed to shun them until they fall in line? Or are we going to DDoS them until they give in or give up? Do you really expect the readers to care in the long run as long as they are getting chapters translated at a decent pace with a decent grasp of the languages involved? Furthermore, if someone is new to the scene, for example, knows nothing about the TL Community and it's past, current, or future rules and simply wants to share something they thought they discovered in their free time. They start translating, and no one finds out about them due to lack of advertising, they do 30-100 chapters let's say, but another group has already been working on the project for the same amount of time or longer, or shorter for that matter, and may have done a greater number of chapters or fewer. When this fledgling TL finds out about the community finally and makes his/her debut there, or someone finds out about them and directs the communities attention, who is in the right, who is in the wrong, is anyone either? Should this new TL stop simply because one group is more established or been working longer on project even though s/he knew nothing about it?

They say "Ignorance is no defense in front of the law" and that's fine for civil laws. But until the community can decide how to make, enforce, and police the community and make it stick, we're just a bunch of children throwing tantrums while trying to sound educated. Yes, I include myself in this statement.

In summation, let both groups work on the project separately if they really can't work together. People will flock to the one with speed or quality or both, or just to the one they feel was more righteous in the argument. And eventually it will resolve itself. If daoseeker or Translation Nations wants to do the project, then they are going to do it regardless if someone else is, and I would hope will take the higher road and stop complaining about the other person.

Yes, I did rant, yes it was quite long, yes I do expect you to read it in its entirety if you intend to comment anything more profound than, "Damn, that was long winded," or some variation thereof. If you do not appear to have, do not blame me for not responding. If you can read an 1800 chapter book, you can read a forum post.

9. Greed_XVIII

Greed_XVIII Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is normally true. As such, I only drop ones like Goblin Kingdom that were subpar to begin with, and want $70 per chapter when they aren't even long.

Poor_Hero and LordCorwin like this.
  10. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    That's a pretty solid summary of my opinion on the matter. You did a better job of putting it into words than I would have too

11. Warnock

Reading List:
    Link
    You can "boycott" the one that you dont like, tho its true we dont know the full story, but we are kinda biased already against TN since we read Dao rant post first, so not only did dao posted his translation first, he also made a rant first xD

MadHatter likes this.
  12. Jaded

Jaded Majoring in Erology

Reading List:
    Link
    True.
    But the thing is....
    Dao already dropped it.
    TN gonna act like nothing they did was wrong.
    And readers still gonna read and donate in TN.
    Tell me, if TN starts translating MW, what will you do? Will you stop reading it over there? If so, then your self control is way better than mine.

Even though I don't like their attitude, I won't be able to stop myself from reading it. There may be a few who won't read it, but as for the overwhelming majority....

So what's the change if the translator knows that the readers don't like what they're doing but the readers still read and donate?

oblueknighto likes this.
  13. SilverTap

SilverTap Teenage Hand Model

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm... I will not read what all you guys said because it was said too much... but i would like to say something too (unfair right?).
    I think that translators should support each other, instead doing this kind of competitions, which is unfair. You want to compete? Fine, but not over the same novel, because in that way you are hurting someone (the weaker party, normaly).
    I really like ST (and Pumpkin translation), but if you have the option of doing the right thing, why should you be overbearing to a fellow translator? You guys share the same hardship to get some fun and budget while doing the same kind of job...
    It is just sad... and to be honest, i will not read MW in TN website... Because i will not comply with wrongdoings...
    i won't read it.

DarkArts and Arua like this.
  14. LordCorwin

LordCorwin Supreme Book Lord; Leader of the Fiction Faction

Reading List:
    Link
    I personally will probably start reading it there. Why? Because that is where it happens to be available. I go to where the product is, if there is more than one location, I aim for quality second, and speed third. If all things are equal, then I'm going to probably go with the one that makes more sense to me, since some terms can be kind of tricky, or in this case, since I already read ST and SS at TN, I'd stay there.

Doesn't this seem exactly like a discussion that spun out of a similar situation back when Gravity was only a little way into Zhan Long?

15. NeaxD

NeaxD Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    gdi. I love you satan. I was reading all this serious business up in here to enjoy the drama while seeing people's opinions then all of a sudden I see this gif. I broke out laughing irl incredibly loud and all my roommates staring at me funny.

SilverTap, Arua and Arcturus like this.
  16. pakato

pakato New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    FYI Pumpkin is James who tried to poach ATG because he wasn't getting a big enough "cut." He also dropped the crappy Lu Bu novel because he wasn't getting enough donations. Clearly this person has a history of this, and if Dao decides to drop it due to him I feel sorry. If I were Dao, I'd continue to translate normally and see what type of crappy tactics James will use.

uthgard, Poor_Hero and oblueknighto like this.
  17. Arua

Arua Umu...~

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, yeah, I won't read it over at TN, just like I'm not planning to ever resume reading ST over there. The only TN novel I was still following was Zebulin's work on SS.
    My self control isn't that bad I guess.
    Holy f... no wonder if it's this guy again. Thanks for the information.

Poor_Hero, SilverTap and NeaxD like this.
  18. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    +1
    I was going to respond with this answer but you beat me to it.
    I've probably said this already but in the end daoseeker has already dropped the series. We're just here whining about how TN is shit and we don't like what TN has done. That's it. Nothing more. Nothing less. We don't care if TN has already translated 5 chapters or not. We don't care if they lied to daoseeker.
    They made daoseeker drop the series. That is a fact and nobody can deny that. We don't like that; thus we have this ruckus. (btw, when I said we ignore it. I meant me.

19. Jaded

Jaded Majoring in Erology

Reading List:
    Link
    Saw your post length and went DAFUQ?!! Skimmed right down to the end and read the last paragraph. That sorta pushed me into reading the entire post lol. I agree with most of the stuff you said. Apart from the the guarantee thing. Not gonna argue though. There's no point arguing, seeing that it's not going to really change anything.
    In other words, you pretty much agree with me. And yeah, pretty much the same discussion which took place on Zhan long lol.
    GJ. You're more stubborn than me(not sarcasm, I mean that in a good way). I'm the kind of guy who lose's his head and ends up reading raws of a novel due to cliffhanger whose translation will appear the next day.
    It's that guy huh....ugh.

Poor_Hero, NeaxD and LordCorwin like this.
  20. NeaxD

NeaxD Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds like this James person is just looking for a good size novel to produce steady income for himself. If you think about it if a person translating was able to get lets say 60$ for each chapter and he does 6-7 chapters a week that is 420 bucks in a week, 1680 in a month. now lets assume the average time to translate a novel chapter is 4 hours of a day. That is part time while sitting at home. If he decides to add another novel to the mix and spend 8 hours that is a pretty decent min wage job in the USA. So if the person lives in a poorer country that is even more better for the translator. Imo I do not care which way the wind blows but a translator being a asshat I will never like. my answer to translation nation is I will never donate to someone like him if this James person has this type of rep. So I will wait for the full translation then read it all for free while leeching completely off him. I donate sometimes but never to people like this James.
    Edit: not saying he gets all the money but looks like $_$ eyes is his goal in the end from his actions if what everyone has said is true about him.
    edit2: also the amount of time spent is how fast he can translate decently so might be faster then 4 hours or slower depends on his skills in the art of translating.
    edit 3: Also want to mention that Martial World is a good novel to translate since TMW has done so well to attract people to donate and read the novel. MW will already have a good size audience.

Arcturus and Arua like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.