Wuxiaworld addwall/paywall

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by BluerBluest, Aug 8, 2019.

1. rwxwuxiaworld

rwxwuxiaworld Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To help out a bit, 50 chapters is for any chapters of any novel before registration is needed; it’s not the first fifty or last fifty, so all chapters will remain available; the question of which is available is based on user history/ip history, not the chapters themselves. In other words, specific chapters are not locked, the entire site is locked past fifty chapters without registration. (Yes, you can switch IPs and stuff like that I suppose, blah blah).

In a month or so, aside from that, the first 10% or 100 chapters of completed novels will remain free (but may require registration past the fifty), while the rest will require karma or subscriptions. There will also be rotations of entire free completed novels.

2. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, okay. So the 50 chapter limit is a site-wide restriction. ... That's a bit of a tight-rope for us. Strictly speaking, we do not link to releases that require a login to read. So on the one hand, that means literally all of WuxiaWorld's releases past that first 50. On the other, that means any given release from WuxiaWorld does not require a login. I suppose that's similar to Wattpad's system, and we do link to them. @Tony will have to think it over - the decision is his, of course -, but I feel like we can work with that.

3. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    so user can read any novel and any chapter from an ongoing novels, but once the total read chapter count reach 50, a registration is needed to continue, is that it?

in contrast, only completed novels are locked (require registration/login) past 50th chapter, is it correct?
    this '50', is it 50 'full chapter', or is 'first 50 releases' of that spesific completed novels?
    iirc, TJSS's novels have splitted chapters

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  4. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s 10% of all chapter of the completed novels that will be free.

5. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    i saw that, yes. i'm just trying to clarify of what is count as 50. 50 full chapter, or 50 release. as he @rwxwuxiaworld said, "may require registration after fifty" for completed novels

examples
    prologue to chapter 49
    chapter 1 to chapter 50
    chapter 1 part1 to chapter 25 part2

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  6. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    It should be 50 release because It’s a site-wide lock and not individual lock.

AMissingLinguist and Westeller like this.
  7. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    I read wn on Wuxiaworld for years, I'm a free reader, until now I still can't donate to them( I might try it in the future). The only thing I can do for WW is to make comments on the chapters and turn off ad block to support them.
    Thanks for every new chapters you post.

AMissingLinguist and Wujigege like this.
  8. rwxwuxiaworld

rwxwuxiaworld Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Releases. I said 'may require registration after chapter 50' because of the possibility that they might have glanced at later chapters. Sorry for the lack of clarity.

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  9. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    I really think NU should review their policy on linking to chapters. From my understanding, the whole purpose of not linking to paid chapters is to promote fan translations and not making money for "fan translations". But this shouldn't be the case if what is being released is an official translation.

Just put a lock on it and let anyone who doesn't want to see it turn it off. Or let people choose when they register.

The whole point here is to encourage translation, not leeching in specific no?

I know a lot of people due to their hate for QI shut down the whole locked chapter thing. But that is putting the cart ahead of the horse. We as a community should encourage licensing/official releases. Not punish it.

10. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s not about Qidian or anything. Novel Updates was just originally created as a directory of fan translations, and not linking to official, paid stuff was a day one rule. That’s just not what the site is for.

But, personally, I do feel like Novel Updates risks losing relevancy in the community by failing to track paywalled releases as more and more groups begin using similar structures. Novel Updates’ primary and most fundamental draw is a singular location for tracking disparate translations, and if we’re not tracking ALL translations, we’re undermining that foundation.

But I can also understand sticking to the original goal of the site even if the environment is changing, and I do believe there will always be plenty of free fan translations to track. And I also believe we haven’t been pushed to the point where we *need* to change.

Anyway, it is what it is for now.

11. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    just ban the whole site~

Wujigege likes this.
  12. yserieh

yserieh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree it's important to link paid sites to stay relevant, too. Some don't mind paying for translations, but if they just require registration- seems free to me. But if it's a pay-wall, then I think it should be flagged on NU that's on a pay-wall site. It would be nice tag for those who can't or won't do payment for the novels.

I wonder if WW will do what Taptoread and Webnovel do- give out free coins to bait people on some novels to gamble on new titles. I know Webnovel gives out the free coins because if you like more then 2 or 3 stories, you're gonna need to pay to afford to keep up with them.

caslie likes this.
  13. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that a web site that is literally a database of all the novels should track both free and paid novels, that are published on the web and not as books. However, there should be an indicator if the novel is locked or not. For example, an icon next to a chapter release indicating if specific chapter is paywalled or not (like a padlock that will be locked for paywalled chapters and unlocked for free ones)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    Teisen likes this.
  14. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm imo if it is paid content then the website should have ability to promote without NU help
    NU have link toward chapter so just give book data base is enuf
    if on future more translation web become paywall then just put book on database and link toward site that have it~
    VNDB data base for Visual Novel do that and they going fine~ people will get used to it~
    NUF on other hand will become another place where community gather because it is specific community~

business should have their own promotion department~

15. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't see NU as a promotion of novels. This web site is a catalog. A Catalog should just list all available items and provide information. It is much more convenient for users/readers if they can get information about all novels in one place. That's all there is to it. You can even view it as negative advertisement for web sites that paywall because everyone will see all the novels that are locked.

Arkantos, AMissingLinguist and Teisen like this.
  16. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    yup hence imo it is enuf just put book on database
    as for link for each locked chapter reader can look for themselves
    on compromise just put link toward group
    on NU case

English Publisher
    (insert here)
    just link it toward publisher

17. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea, I am not saying you have to list links to all chapters. Add novel to the list, provide comments, say if the novel is actually paywalled. But there at least should be a link to the translation page imo. Because you might want to read it, but if the chapters stop at, let's say 50, you don't know if the translation was stopped or it was paywalled. So either listing chapters or just saying/showing that the translation is active, but is locked in some way is what should happen.

18. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    ah I see update problem~
    imo NU current info only lack on put link toward publisher
    let use Grimgal as example
    English Publisher
    [Edit]
    J-Novel Club
    Seven Seas

when reader click any of those publisher it directed toward list of novel with same publisher but lack of link toward that publisher~ if there link then there no problem~ but that have something to do with policy so I think it worth to put on feature request~ although there was similar request on past but I forget how it deal with~

as for completion with current NU feature there no problem
    Completely Translated
    [Edit]

(insert here)
    this where community come to play~ cuz with current NU system(which is based on ads for income) I think it is hmm not ethical? to ask Moderator track all novel status~

19. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, atm someone keeps track of novels that are paywalled and restrict the links to the chapters. I saw that happening with some QI novels that used to have 500 available chapters for free, and then it was dropped to 50. However it happens now basically can happen for other types of updates. Whether it's the community or moderators. Maybe let translators themselves do it.
    But yea, the links to the translator/publisher web site is lacking...

20. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    With all the MTL crap and meta MTL crap (eg translator uses Google to translate to Indonesian and then translates from Indonesian to English.) There will be a lot of fan fiction... translations to link to.

[​IMG]