Wuxiaworld addwall/paywall

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by BluerBluest, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    Requiring to register is already a sort of a block. Access walled in general.
    50 any chapter in any order then register up. That's bullshit. That decision alone makes WW removable from the NU pages. Since you can't market any fresh chapter since 99% of people will have already spent their "free quota"

2. mm38910

mm38910 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe an option to hide adwall like QI could be considered.
    Maybe after they steal translations, do MTL and other QI things.

QI has pay lock on chapters, this is an adwall. It is 2-3 chaps per ad right now (not sure), it could go any way better or worse.

@rwxwuxiaworld what happens if the new model doesn't work better than the usual one? Will u still go forward with this?

3. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    and a wall of sorts. also blocking comments, being a cunt that lies and cant keep promises also counts.
    yes, im pointing at WW here and the leader

4. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, companies have to make money. If people were honest about that from the beginning, then there wont be any need to use shady practices.
    Sadly, this community is obsessed with the word "free".
    Unless websites like webnovel focus on original content, the costs will only rise. This is just not Japan with otakus who will buy overpriced merchandise that will support the industry.
    There is a limit to the number of credit cards that kids can steal and max out for privilege and the likes ..

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    Neils117, MadHatter and Lonelycity like this.
  5. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    First off, let me start by saying that the terms WW came up with are very friendly.
    1. You don't have to pay for anything.
    2. You only need to register to read any of their ongoing novels. <-- Honestly, people, get over yourselves and stop whining - what's the big deal about making an account? If you don't want to share your email, just use a throwaway one - there's plenty services providing temporary emails.
    3. For completed novels you'll get to read the first 100 chapters (or 10% if there's less than 1k chapters in the series) to see if you like the series or not. The remaining chapters will be available for reading by either:
    a) [FREE] waiting for the novel to show up in the free rotation (one novel every three months)
    b) [FREE] buying chapters with acquired "normal karma" (watching videos, viewing ads, etc. - exact details are still undecided, I think)
    c) buying chapters with paid "golden karma"
    d) choosing it as your single additional free novel if you have a $5 monthly subscription (you get access to 3 novels with a $10 sub, or to ALL of them with a $20 sub) - you get to change your choice(s) each month
    You might want to say paying $5 for only one completed novel is too much, but is it really? How many completed novels are you actually able to read in a month, on top of following the ongoing ones? As long as you're not NEETs, the answer should be "just one".​
    Anyway, I only mentioned the main points, for the cheapskates - you can read more (also about other sub perks) here: https://www.wuxiaworld.com/announcement/wuxiaworld-ad-changes-future-reading-model (and in subsequent announcements)

Second, my thoughts about NU and all sorts of walls:
    1. NU should link directly to all open/free chapters.
    2. Login lock - direct link as well, with a separate icon and a setting to hide such releases.
    3. Adwall - same as above.
    4. Pointwall (paying with points you can earn) - same as above.
    5. Paywall (chapter purchases or subscriptions) - same as above, but instead of direct release links, all new chapters should link to the series index.​

Third, @rwxwuxiaworld
    Although, I don't mind the registration clause... Is it really necessary for ongoing novels?
    I mean, I get that registered readers will be able to earn karma, but they'll only be able to use it on completed novels. There doesn't seem to be a reason to login lock ongoing series - unless you want the (every third chapter) adwall to be solely account based... But people could abuse it with multiple accs then...
    The main reason I don't mind the login lock myself is that I'm a long time reader. I know it's worth it.
    However, as a veteran (now ex-)scanlator, I can tell you will full certainty that newbies will rather look elsewhere, rather than having to register...

By the way, have you decided on the exact grace period for the newly finished novels yet?
    If so, will you add an option that sends emails warning readers that the novel will get locked soon?
    Rather than reading a chapter a day (or so) for each series, I usually read one series at a time - meaning, I wait for about 100 chapters to gather in each series before reading it again. And although I'm likely to get the Silver VIP for myself, so I don't have to bother with paywalls when binge reading, I'd rather prefer not having to wait 30 days to switch between completed series of which endings I've missed (since more and more series will be finishing up soon).​

6. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s like Webnovel adswall. They’re free, but people still hate them.

Wujigege likes this.
  7. Ral

Reading List:
    Link
    Do they still use adwall? I stopped reading there when they started paywalling every single series past the initial volume (or 100 chapters)...

8. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah. Just the paywall now.

9. Auranyte

Auranyte Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The adwall was a precursor for the paywall when it came to QI. Now, in my opinion, WW is going the exact same route. They added adwalls to MGA and I'm sure those will get added to the other series on the website, just like how it started with QI. The sad part is that most people will ignore things until it ends up the same way, all because "but its Wuxiaworld and they'd never do that." Yet here they are following the QI plan.

Oh and why haven't MGA releases gotten the adlock symbol on them? I mean that was created entirely for adwalled chapter was it not?

10. mm38910

Reading List:
    Link
    They aren't ignoring, there was a big announcement on the homepage and on Reddit where the readers' input was asked. Wuxiaworld explained its situation well as compared to QI who did it after the licenses scandal. I read the comments and many were willing for a big ad for multiple chapters.
    The problem with QI was that it had a very huge library of ongoing works and they had to pay translators a fixed amount. WW currently doesn't have this problem, they may have in the future. Currently, their VIP/sponsor is working fine for them. As time will go on, licenses will become expensive and they have to make money, then they will have a problem.

AMissingLinguist and Sabruness like this.
  11. Auranyte

Auranyte Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is the "handwaving" I am expecting. You can rationalize it all you want, but when looking at WW as the business it is, WW is heading down the exact same road that QI has already paved with reader disappointment.

12. mm38910

Reading List:
    Link
    I am not disagreeing with that, all I'm saying is that if it happens, it will take time, possibly years, to get to that point. For WW there is already a good and working VIP/sponsor system currently.
    About Qidian, the feelings accumulated after the WW license problem, them stopping other translators, copying chapters. That was disappointment.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  13. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Well.. what works for ww is best i guess.
    Its not like theyre doing hundreds of hours of group translation for charity tho..
    You want to read their stuff you should abide by their rules..
    NU used to still allowed the add walled chapters of qidian in the past during its starting point of monetizing..
    I dont see why ww cant.
    And yes.. ww do look like QI during their early days ..

14. Ral

Reading List:
    Link
    See, the problem here is that once WW went legit and acquired licenses for their novels, they agreed to pay a portion of their profits to the license holders. Currently, the only profit they are making is by the way of advance chapters payments, which is basically a couple hundred people paying WW for chapters that the ENTIRE community ends up reading.
    And while this system worked fine for ongoing novels, more and more of them are coming to a finish. Even if we disregard to future profit WW would lose on these series, the license holders still need to get paid. If they don't, they might no longer rent their licenses to WW or come up with terms so harsh that WW wouldn't be able to fulfill them. Thus, they had a choice to make - make a change... or remain as they are, until they run themselves to the ground- which was really no choice at all.
    No, they are not heading the same direction. WW came up with comprehensive terms that they openly shared with us. These terms will be able to carry them for years. I like the subscription models especially, if QI had them (at such cheap prices), I'd keep reading there.

AMissingLinguist and kenar like this.
  15. null

null Procrastinate Lv MAX

Reading List:
    Link
    Some series still under adwall. (I know, I work on underground :blobwhistle:)

AMissingLinguist and Westeller like this.
  16. A Wandering Panda

A Wandering Panda Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Small question, were they able to acquire licenses to the Korean novels?
    I ask because I can't find any update.

17. Ral

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't seen any official info either, but I'd assume so - they took down all Korean novels a while back, so since they're back now, I'm guessing they got the licenses. Since WW is a company now, I doubt they'd continue translating without them.

18. BluerBluest

BluerBluest Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Some people say that they understand because WW is company now and they need money. They miss one point that this site also need money... Usually when companies wants advertisements they have to pay... So maybe its time for NU to put something like "patron" status for companies that they want to earn on their community. I think then no one would be complaining about putting paywalled (ofc. marked with lock stuff) thinks on NU.

Also this topic was purely informational because i saw what happened before...

19. A Wandering Panda

A Wandering Panda Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've checked but WuxiaWorld doesn't have licenses any of their ongoing Korean novels.
    This is why they haven't made any announcement about licensing new Korean novels for a while.

20. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    NU earns more than enough from ad revenue to the point it's Tony's full time job to maintain NU and program new sites that he wants to.

No need for a patron.

AMissingLinguist, otaku31 and kenar like this.