Wuxiaworld Official Response to Qidian's Libelous Claims

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by rwxwuxiaworld, May 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rakesh2206

rakesh2206 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I knew paywall was coming eventually and was wondering how qidian will deal with ww which is a free site and serious thorn to their business once they go pay to read... Well here we go

jackateonetoo and Tebix like this.
  2. Archaic pickle

Archaic pickle Daoist Heavenly Kimichi

Reading List:
    Link
    Who's ben? Lol other then Spiderman's uncle of Course.

Yggdrasil108 likes this.
  3. InvincibleDespair

InvincibleDespair Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    NU should stick this thread to show their support.

jackateonetoo and Yggdrasil108 like this.
  4. Gatsu

Gatsu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ben Boxing is the best translator in wuxiaworld!

Ichigocheesecake and agilan like this.
  5. pepeoo

pepeoo high lord of the seven seas

Reading List:
    Link
    where does it start? where does it end?

strayCat0 likes this.
  6. zzz

zzz .

Reading List:
    Link
    i feel that this needs to be Stickied.....

7. elairz

elairz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    so QI gonna go down paywall route after all.
    at first i was confused. QI hosting translation work and paying the translator themself.
    and i dont see any ad on the site. how they gonna profit from this. i saw their post about not doing the paywall.
    so that left me confounded.

and today once again I learn China cant be trusted. they really do operate on 'might make right' motto.
    kinda sad about this. so my prediction :

Situation A :Qidian succeed in making the court order.
    WW takes down those novel. Ren lose interest. barely few novel remain>the communities got smaller.
    QI site might get traffic for a while, but after paywall less people will visit it and chose to read the pirate site. Less sub mean less profit and eventually lead to unsustainable site and eventually perish. At this point probably some translator will take the scraps and began rebuilding the community again.

Situation B : No court order
    While i can't see how this gonna happen with US championing DMCA and all. But if it do happen, all that left will be bad blood between Qidian and WW. I'm pretty sure at this point Qidian will 'order' the author of the respective title to 'ask' Ren take down their work, and then I'm sure that Ren will ignore. All that left then will be the invasion of the 50 cent army and lots of DDOS and hacking attacks.

8. Opjohnaexe

Opjohnaexe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is a really terrible move on qidian side of things, this is not potentially a case of shooting yourself in the foot, as much as it's a case of blowing your entire leg off.
    Now for the reasoning. This scene has been born, and monopolies are not accepted in the west (they're illegal, among other reasons), and now that it has been born, the interrest has been born, this means that there are fans who want these stories here. And if qidian tries to hold stories of that type hostage, then the result WILL be that fans won't read them. At least not enough to keep it being viable. On the other hand, since the interrest has been sparked, these people will search for something new to enjoy instead. Such as for example RRL or something similar.

Or just throwing it out there, if some chinese author to be, wanted to create a novel for a more international audience they could circumvent Qidian, and go down the patreon route.

The problem with monopolies, is that monopolies are generally bad for everyone involved, except maybe the ones who own the monopoly (though it may also be bad for them), and if given an option to go with someone else, there are plenty full of people who will search for a better option than the monopoly.

In essence this move, is terrible, and if true (I do believe ren, but I abstain from judging as I don't know the information behind the scenes), then qidian will either kill this scene completely (somewhat likely), achieve their goal (not likely), birth a scene in which they're completely ignored (not unlikely actually), or comply with the wishes of the fans, and get in line (fairly likely, as I imagine they don't want to lose this revenue potential).

So here's to hoping that they will be reasonable people, and if not, then I guess I'll either have to try RRL, or get a new hobby. It's been fun while it lasted though, and I sincerely would like for it to continue, so please qidian, get your act together, and follow reason, if not, well then I guess it's been a short relationship we've had with one another.

Also just for your information qidian, if you don't comply do expect some people to gain access to your novels without paying you a cent, because that will happend. Try to force people to use your system, and do so aggressively, will end up with you losing, simply because there's too many people that want this online, and way too many people who don't want to help you run a monopoly.

So have a nice day, may you win ren, and may they hopefully behave in a reasonable fashion.

ps. Also as people said, if your oral agreements cannot be proven, then they hold ZERO value in court. Which is why you should always veer toward written agreements, and avoid oral ones, unless recorded.

Edit: Also monopoly is not going to work in the rest of the world, let alone it being illegal as I stated above, it's also quite impossible to enforce, and therefore you won't have a monopoly since other people could just make a site if they wanted, and begin their own webnovels on it. They could potentially make stories in a xianxia'esque genre, something which cannot be made illegal, as what can be copyrighted are works, not genres.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  9. Snaick

Snaick New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Novel community should flame them into releasing the NDA so that we can all see who is trying to invert right and wrong and turn black in to white!

Astaroth likes this.
  10. dniv

dniv Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I'm disappointed in all the people who are conveniently assuming that Ren is out of his mind and that Qidian knows what it is doing just because it's a billion dollar company. It's lazy thinking like that, that ends up fucking up the world. Right now this is like what we see in those Xianxia that we like reading, this is a situation where the MC is facing trouble and at this point in time the MC can tell who his real friends are and who his piece of sh*t scummy fake supporters are. My message is clear. I'm continuing to support Wuxiaworld because I've seen Ren work hard this entire time and I fully believe him.

I wonder if GGP could help clear up this mess and if the other WW translators could talk about this mess. Hopefully the oral agreement was recorded... though the recording probably exists on file somewhere in some chat record. Good luck Ren you have my support. I hope luck is with you. I care about the environment around me and especially about the people that have worked hard all this while and who continue to struggle day to day for their dreams...

11. CloudDaoist

CloudDaoist Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Guys.. I think you miss the mark here.. It's not about money.. but it's about our WW ! Migrating all novel to qidian ? What a joke ! and I doubt all WW translator would keep TLing if the novel hosted on qidian ? You want thing that happen to TTNH once again happen to all those novel ? Low quality chapter, Not that fast , suck website! very suck

I already follow WW when coiling dragon still on Vol.8.. when Ren always release 3ch a day !! That's how he work so hard growing WW and all of us still use the legendary aho update back then!!

12. Zeckzen

Zeckzen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

13. Archaic pickle

Archaic pickle Daoist Heavenly Kimichi

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think it is wise to reduce it into a flame war though...

14. iamgboy08

iamgboy08 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    who the fck is ben? uncle ben? ben10?

Archaic pickle likes this.
  15. Tramsloof

Tramsloof Quarter Erudite

Reading List:
    Link
    Supporting Ren and WuxiaWorld all the way.

You can imagine the difference in WW and Qidian fanbase easily by seeing the likes Ren's post received here vs Qidian's foolish statement.

#ScrewQidian!
    A screw from here and a screw from there.

16. Yggdrasil108

Yggdrasil108 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep, sticky would be great!

And f**k @Qidian an their site !

jackateonetoo, Tramsloof and zzz like this.
  17. Guess Who

Guess Who Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    #BoycottQidian
    I spent almost 3 years with WW and am not gonna leave now

jackateonetoo likes this.
  18. InvincibleDespair

InvincibleDespair Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    someone should translate this to Chinese and post it in Chinese forum.
    I would love to see their reaction

19. Gatsu

Gatsu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    again,
    Ben Boxing
    Read to the end.

Archaic pickle likes this.
  20. Raphael

Raphael Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Here is my comment. See if I predicted the future or not.
    So lets talk about the resent announcement of another 2 Translators and their projects moving to WuxiaWorld right after Martial World moved over with what many believe (I'm unsure if this is verified) was no warning to either the GT site or more importantly (in my opinion) the readers. I have in the past mentioned that I didn't particularly liked how big Wuxia World was getting, this was way back when Tales of Demon's and Gods went over. Now I've always made it clear that I appreciate WuxiaWorld many efforts to foster progress in the chinese web novel translation scene, but I have always been afraid or maybe cautious because I don't really fear it, but cautious of them growing too big. My worry is that big things are for the most part different from their starting forms, and they hold too much potential to fuck things up, an example of what I worry about would be that WuxiaWorld goes behind a paywall and then a ton of novels which had previously been offered to fans for no charge are now blocked and, this is actually one of my lesser fears but is a reasonable one. There is also the likelihood of WW generating too much attention and attracting the gaze of the original translators who may not all be as chill with what we do with their work as some have proven to be, and with enough attention they may want to band together to stop the free translation and distribution of their works. Now I have many more worries but I've never blamed WW I think they do their thing because they genuinely want to help the translation community to grow, but as the old saying goes "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" so I fret having no means to affect any of this. Still I wished for there to be several sites instead of a big one, and that they didn't grow so big as to become a legal entity because then we get something similar to what happen to Baka-Tsuki many ages ago wher they had to take down a bunch of their works because of copyrights. Sorry for long rant, will not TL'DR because if you don't don't have the attention span to read the whole thing, I figured you haven't put as much thought into this as I have and therefore I regard your input as unnecessary, still all are welcome to comment, what they think of the growth and expansion of WW and the decline of GT and what this means for the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.