Xianxia/LN Rant

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by SnackRobber, Dec 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SnackRobber

SnackRobber Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, first with a little background information. I'm still fairly new to the novel scene as I have only started looking for and reading them in the past year as my interest in manga has been in decline for a while. Mangas based off of LNs are what got me here in the first place and with finding the Xianxia category in the last four months or so, I have quite enjoyed reading them as it gave me a look into Chinese based LNs over Korean and Japanese only. With that out of the way I just have to get something off my chest as this mainly correlates to the Xianxia novels.

WHY OH WHY do I feel like Robert Jordan is ghostwriting the majority of these novels sometimes, I mean there are sometimes entire chapters or like 80-90% with just reactions of the crowd with each person literally saying the same thing over and over again just with different Chinese idioms or even the same ones sometimes. This also seems to happen a lot when it comes to the description of one of the many harem character's beauty that pops up in the story, this seems to happen with most if not all authors. It just bugs me really with so much wasted space.
    DFSLKSJD:FLKJSD:LKFJSIOEUOROWIERFKLSEJF
    Anyway, I just had to get that off my chest, rant over. Happy reading everybody.

2. Evilnemesis7

Evilnemesis7 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I chuckled.

Linley likes this.
  3. Odyssey

Odyssey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    just writing styles man just like with in 3 paragraphs atleast 2x will the author repeat about why the character can do [blah] because he has [blah] or is [blah]

4. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They have a quota...this is what makes ISSTH so awesome. Er Gen doesn't add any fluff

5. slaughter god

slaughter god overlord of all evil

Reading List:
    Link
    definitely in against the gods the descriptions of girls is a whole chapter

6. coveted

coveted Sexiest Banana Alive

Reading List:
    Link
    Well... we have to understand that these writers have different culture than us and it affects their writing. I don't know if you would agree with me but in China, the opinions of other people matter, which is why authors tend to incorporate the point of views of other people. more like they add a touch of realism.

7. ddadain

ddadain Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I doubt many here will know who Robert Jordan was... or his son for that matter.

Having said that... BLOOD AND BLOODY ASHES~! You men who whine like women are going to be the death of me! LIGHT!!!

Minarett likes this.
  8. DavidKim

DavidKim Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    These authors have to pump out chapters daily and also they need to stretch out their story. Think about it if these authors wrote as concise as possible they'd be out of writing material very quickly, their stories would also end in around 500 - 600 chapters after which they would have to think of new material/story.

9. Saitama

Saitama Hmph

Reading List:
    Link
    They have a quota they must meet so what better way to meet it then why writing useless reactions at times?

10. SnackRobber

SnackRobber Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is just me getting a rant out of there, as I am the only person among my friends who reads LN so I had to at least gripe to someone haha. I would think at least a good amount would know who Robert Jordan is as we all seem to share the love of reading here, but who knows.

11. Odyssey

Odyssey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wheel of time, I know him just never read his works, More of a Tolkien, Piers Anthony, or Brian Jacques fan myself

drealicious likes this.
  12. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of them are paid by a combination of words and views. The reaction scenes aren't quite as repetitive as spots where the author repeats the same phrase with a different order like in Martial God Space(I do like it btw).
    "XYZ was incredible at learning."
    (a sentence or two).
    "No one learned faster than XYZ."
    (a sentence or two)
    "In all the land no one could match XYZ's speed of learning."

You get used to skimming those sections. I find it a bit boring but since it only takes a second to skim past it's not really annoying for me.

Shio likes this.
  13. SnackRobber

SnackRobber Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah I've already gotten used to skimming over them, it's just that's what bothers me a bit is I feel like when that happens my mind says "Oh it is one of those chapters where the story doesn't really progress at all" and then I get a bit disappointed a bit.

Shio likes this.
  14. Jaded

Jaded Majoring in Erology

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know his son, but I liked the wheel of time series. Saidar, saidin, true force...all that stuff is actually pretty similar to xianxia, now that I think about it.

Ldyrdy likes this.
  15. Hahhaa

Hahhaa hereby irrevocably & perpetually waives all moral

Reading List:
    Link
    *snorted*
    I just skim read those part. Same goes for morality talk. Too much of skim read is early sign that I gonna drop that series.

Ldyrdy likes this.
  16. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Adding another character point of view is fine, the problem here is that the view is pretty much the same. Reaction in xianxia could be devided into several categories:
    • Looking down on someone: trash/ like giving pearl to pig/ something about not recognising mt. Tai
    • Lookong up on someone: xxx is genious! / who told yyy to offend xxx. Shameless!
    • That part that describe beautiful appearance
    • Can't believe mc is stronger than opossing character.

SnackRobber likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.