Yen Press

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by marine1corps, May 20, 2016.

?

Will you buy books from Yen Press?

1. I suuport Yen Press and buy their books (Digital books count too)

11.7%
  2. I support Yenpress but don't have money

7.4%
  3. Maybe

14.2%
  4. Don't like Yen Press

42.0%
  5. Wants to be a lecher

24.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marine1corps

marine1corps Invisible to all Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    I was planning to wait a little bit longer for more books to come out by Yen Press but it has come to my attention that in the past week there has been an increase in bashing on Yen Press and Novels disappearing because of DMCA. There are few exceptions (curse you Kadokawa) but otherwise they are NOT gone. They are being translated by a legitimate company who wants to bring light novels to the English Audience. Yeah it's a bummer that we have to take down translations and have to wait for Yen Press to catch up. But they are not SLOW translators. If we refer to this website there is around 52 light novels coming this year alone. Famous series such as A Certain Magical Index, Irregular in the Magical Highschool, and SAO are getting 3-4 novels translated this year. And then we got series such as Black Bullet, Danmachi, and Strike the Blood whose translations SURPASS the fan translations. New series that I was really surprised about that are coming this year was The Asterisk War, and Re:zero considering the anime was only fairly recent (and Psycome Yippee!!!).

Moving onto the translations itself. Yes I agree that the translations for the first book of every series to be strange and weird but they are humans too. We are just used to the fact that the translators have been doing that series for a while now and know how the author writes and the fact that translators like to keep the suffixes in the names. But in all likely hood it's their first time touching their series and touching the medium that is called a light novel that is different from a Manga (Unless I am wrong about this and so anyone call me out on it). So yes its going to be weird for the first novel without all the suffixes and the translator's first attempt at translating. But I have noticed that the second novel in the series there is a significant improvement in the flow and I don't get that weird feeling like I did in the first novel.

More and more books are finally being localize so we can finally stop being lechers (unless you still want to be one) and buy the books to support the author so he can right more stories we enjoy. I know it might be hard for some people to get the physical copies because of varying shipping costs. But they also have digital copies that you can purchase (unless you can't get them for some reason?) for substantially less money. Otherwise you can both support the other and have a collectible book on your shelf to admire. Lets be honest, I want to collect anime stuff but I don't want to collect those figurines because in the end it's just going to be mess. With books I don't get that problem and feel like I did something by buying these novels. No more shall I be called a lecher (in a sense) and finally take part in the Anime Economy.

Solistia likes this.
  2. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm working this summer...so I'll splurge on some (those that I don't have epubs for already :D)

3. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    Since you said lecher and not leacher, I couldn't help myself

kainee, A5G_Reaper, EpicJay and 2 others like this.
  4. marine1corps

Reading List:
    Link
    whoops my bad I was just pounding away at the key board for the past 40 mins so I just did the basic spell check and forgot that leacher is the right spelling.

Arcturus likes this.
  5. char

char Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You should add another option "I support the author and by his/her book".

marine1corps likes this.
  6. marine1corps

Reading List:
    Link
    That is what in all technicality supporting yen press is about supporting the author

TUSF, fireclaws and thymee like this.
  7. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    My official opinion is that I dont think LNSs/WNs are good enough for me to spend money on, if I had money. Nor would I care to read them very illicitly. So the answer to your question is I don't have money so the question is kinda moot, but if I did, I wouldn't spend it anyway on Yen Press, nor would I care to try and finish the novel.

RizYun and CDLevit like this.
  8. Occulus

Occulus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My problem with YP isn't their translations per se. It's the fact that :
    1. They sit on their DMCAs sometimes up to years and release nothing while blocking the efforts of the other translators
    and most importantly
    2. It takes them years if not decades for them to even catch up to where the translators left off (ex: the Index series are actually released faster in Japan than they are being translated by YP so it would take them several decades to release everything)

If they caught up quickly instead of spacing their releases or if they just translated stuff that nobody was working on, I would be more than happy to buy their work. Is there a legal reason why they can't just reference the work of the previous translator and just pay said translator a small fee? I'm guessing the economic reason is so that they can take the chance to get more money from the fans (people are more likely to spend lots of money over long run than spending all the money in a short time) but it's still very irritating.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
    Ldyrdy, RizYun, CDLevit and 1 other person like this.
  9. The Great Me

The Great Me Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I stop reading books as soon as Yen Press gets the license for them and fan translation stops.

Yen Press and Viz are two companies that I would rather not read the book (or watch the anime in Viz's case) than see either of them get a penny of my money.

Ldyrdy and CDLevit like this.
  10. thymee

thymee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i hope yenpress license some shoujo novel like duke daughter.

11. rodusk123

rodusk123 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You mean leecher? :p

12. marine1corps

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes I know you place Western Novels more highly but this thread was for the fact that to many people just outright hate Yen Press and not for what it stands for.

13. Btoken

Btoken Nice Enough

Reading List:
    Link
    I hope one day kingdom get release in english

thymee likes this.
  14. thymee

thymee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    lol the hate, then if fans translator you will pay huh. what about the author then .-.

15. P0n3swag

P0n3swag Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I recently bought Danmachi 5 and was shocked at how bad some of it was. There are entire chapters that are written in present tense. Even in first person perspectives the only time present tense should be used in english novels is when someone is speaking. Also the whole "surpassed" the translation is kind of BS because they DCMA'd the translation and forced them to stop volume 5 like 18+ months ago. as for Irregular in the Magical Highschool at the rate they're going they're still like 5 years behind the translation and who knows if they'll ever catch up and finish the series.

16. The Great Me

The Great Me Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Leecher is not a real word, unless you try spelling in Ebonics maybe. Considering the illiteracy rates among Ebonics speakers, spelling is probably a huge challenge.

17. marine1corps

Reading List:
    Link
    I would like to say that the Translations are faster then the releases. Take look at the release date of 15 and 14 there is a 6 month difference. While with the translations there is a release every 2-3 months. And considering the fact that the Author has 2 or more series he writes I doubt he will be writing index faster than the translations.

18. FranckOA

FranckOA Killer Klown From Outer Space

Reading List:
    Link
    Could you add an option like : I don't live in America or I will wait to see if a local editor will publish them (ofelbe is doing a great (and quick) work in my country's case, they are already publishing : SAO, Spice & wolf, Log Horizon, Danmachi, Oni-sam.. Irregular at magic high school and Durarara)...

19. Larkan

Larkan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The dislike for YP is deep rooted so its kind of a waste of time doing this , weebs don't like when onii-sama is translated ...

RizYun likes this.
  20. marine1corps

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly This thread was about Yen press so I'll have to no to that sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.