Discussion You a Transhumanist?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by AryaX, Nov 16, 2019.

?

How much of your self would you change?

1. > 0% of the body... but only the body...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. > 25% of the body... but only the body...

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  3. > 50% of the body... but only the body...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. > 75% of the body... but only the body...

11 vote(s)
    23.9%
  5. > 0% of the body... with changes in the brain as well...

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  6. > 25% of the body... with changes in the brain as well...

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  7. > 50% of the body... with changes in the brain as well...

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  8. > 75% of the body... with changes in the brain as well...

15 vote(s)
    32.6%
  9. Nothing...

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  1. Sordahon

Sordahon 『One Person Virtue Is Another One Sin』

Reading List:
    Link
    Seek up story on teleportation philisophy problem, it's problematic because we don't know what truly makes us us. Across 8 years we change every cell in our body IIRC so if we started changing across time, but there is also matter of if atoms in our body makes us us or if it's pattern of atoms that makes us us, or even a soul(interestingly described by godlike aliens at end of Gantz manga, how a soul is a few gram piece of information that travels to other dimension upon death then returns when someone reincarnates.).

For myself, I would go into bionic implants but hold on with brain replacement, perhaps minor augmentation until I resolved my issue with it all.

2. Bakaturq

Bakaturq Tell me, what do you see?

Reading List:
    Link
    Isn't that what we called reincarnation trope with cheats (with optional past memories of current body)

3. lordbeirut

lordbeirut Emperor of Perdition

Reading List:
    Link
    Technically, if we could halt telomere degradation or perform real-time telomere repairs with nanotech we could allow our cells to replicate indefinitely, thus "halting" ageing.

4. Kurotsubaki

Kurotsubaki Reincarnation of the Seven Deadly Sins

Reading List:
    Link
    Human is the most efficient creature in creation as far as humanity knows. So i won't easily trade my limbs for cybernetic one.
    Besides, even if the instalation and the device is affordable, the maintenance cost will cost me my (financial) life

otaku31 likes this.
  5. SinnyVic

SinnyVic Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd wager cybernetic male enhancement will be or be near the forefront of such changes. Why not preserve your original if you're worried? It can even be minimally altered at its base for attachability! We also offer advanced prosthetics that are designed to be easily replaceable. Choose from a wide range of sophisticated prosthetics; collect 'em all! Also, once they're replaceable, we'll even start trading the real ones in addition to the synthetics and novelties. Nice. One things leads to another and suddenly we're cybermen.

6. lordbeirut

Reading List:
    Link
    "In nothing do men more nearly approach the gods than to give health to their fellow men" - Cicero
    I fully intend to replace my heart as soon as the tech has been perfected. Hearts are such relatively simple organs with simple functions and yet are so unacceptably fragile.

7. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    My straight thoughts are penis enlargement, height and muscle mass increase.

As for me, other than the above three, I will want to have a skin color change like a chameleon, so that I can say the N word without percussions... jokes aside, spine, limbs, internal organs, I will probably change my entire body because there is nothing I can't find fault of. My eyes have astigmatism and cataract, I have aching everything from limbs to knees to back to neck, my nose is always blocked, my reflexes are shot, asthma has been quite a shitty problem when I try to do squash, I keep on tasting something even though there is nothing, I think I have tinnitus.

Can OP put a 100% in on both body and mind? I wanna scrap this account and recreate a new character from scratch thanks.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  8. Nargol

Nargol Evangelist. Candy-san. Pope of the Cult of Pyoo

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd replace anything if neccessary or practical.

Although with the brain, I would restrict myself to hardware improvements. Processing speed, memory etc etc. Don't want anything fucking with my emotions.

Although, of course, improved memory and intelligence will inevitably change me as a person anyway. But that philosophical hole leading into the very basics of what constitutes a person, what it means to die, and what it means to live I've already passed through 30 times or so, so I'm okay with it.

9. lordbeirut

Reading List:
    Link
    The devil are you talking about? Hell, humans are not even the most efficient mammal, I'm looking at you pandas, you adorable raccoons. Humans energy efficiency is abysmal. The amount of time we need to sleep on a daily basis to remain functioning at optimal levels is absurd, the arguably simplest organ in our anatomy, the heart (if you dismiss the skin of course), is woefully fragile and prone to problems, there is virtually no redundancy in our design, with the exception of the kidneys, lungs and our livers ability to regenerate, despite millennia of evolution we still carry a vestigial organ that serves no earthly purpose (the appendix), we grow teeth we have no need for (wisdom teeth, a relic from when we used to chew on roots), coccyx, and a shocking number more, just google human vestigiality.

10. Kuroguma

Kuroguma [Cyber Lich] [Aspie] [SOX][Forgotten Perv]

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah that reminds me, I'd go for a nice horse dong between my legs. Anyway.
    Those are all medical reasons to change parts.
    What I was thinking along would be more military and assassination type enhancement and limb changing etc.
    Which would be a problem with black market and criminals getting their hands on.
    Or esthetic reasons like how some likes to get a lot of plastic surgery now a days.

11. RNGesus

RNGesus <<+10 Luck upon seeing this Nuffian>>

Reading List:
    Link
    Humans take millenia to evolve. If I has the chance to improve myself into my instinctive optimal self, I would do it. Provided that I have control over what I choose to become and that I maintain a copy of my original genetic code, complete transhumanism is fine.

I believe the whole soul is in the body is not accurate. Over a lifetime, people are expected to change. If I choose to become what I want to be, I have no qualms with that.

12. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    I want to live forever. Of course I will. Besides they are cool. Of course as years will go by and digital existence becomes reality, I will go that route too, afterall I want to live past the stellar era. Black hole civilizations would be so cool

Who knows, maybe it is possible that our generation might be the oldest one who gets to witness heat death or something that proves thermodynamics basic laws false?

RNGesus likes this.
  13. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea, 25% changes to the body and brain. I don't really know what I'd do with superhuman cyborg abilities so I don't think there's any point in changing too much...but it would be cool to have some powerful abilities that help me complete stuff faster and something like super memory or something.

14. xluferx

xluferx [The writer who writes for fun][Meme lord]

Reading List:
    Link
    Only if doesn't hurt

15. RNGesus

RNGesus <<+10 Luck upon seeing this Nuffian>>

Reading List:
    Link
    I imagine if we don't go extinct amd actually make it that far, I will bet you there would be bored immortals who would eventually choose to sleep through the aeons just to see if heat death is a thing.

If heat death really is a thing, the final moments of our race might actually be the most prosperous ones, what with all the immortals waking up all at once. It would be quite the defining chapter of our race to see the Universe finish growing up.

P.S. Aww RNG does love you! :bloblove:

Ddraig likes this.
  16. TiggerBane

TiggerBane Always asleep yep yep yep| Canidae lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Master dog is a transhumanist. YES-YES humans should be made into robot machine puppets to be controlled by dogs yes-yes~

17. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Of course! Who wouldn't want to completely replace all the muscles in their body with tentacles?

ongoingwhy likes this.
  18. Kurotsubaki

Reading List:
    Link
    Human can have 4 hours of quality sleep and still in good condition to live their live. There are living proof of this despite experts said sleep should be around 7 - 9 hours. Compared to animals who mostly sleep a whole night/day, better.
    Hearth is not the simplest organ, how many clusters of nerves and capillaries, not including the unique heart muscle there to let it beat around 100 times a minute to maintain your live? One little clog in your heart capillary and the whole heart will rot away.
    Despite all human vestigiality that deemed "useless", human still alive and become the apex species in earth. Check if there's a research about removing all of these vestigiality, i bet that poor subject are troubled in his daily life if not died already.

Human body is perfectly flawed, and we life happily because of it.

Panda might have an efficient stomach that can take nutrients from bamboo, but they didn't change diet though it's not nutritious and have to spent their entire life chewing bamboos craving for nutrient, even in zoos where the keepers can give them a more nutritious diet.

19. lordbeirut

Reading List:
    Link
    They are not deemed useless, they are factually useless. It's not an opinion. Hell, we still have the muscles in our eyes that are meant to move nictating membranes for crying out loud, and we haven't had those in hundreds of thousands, if not millions of years.

20. Kurotsubaki

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, you're the scientist i guess. As from research this far it said to be "not know" rather than useless.
    I like this ambiguity rather than saying a fact like it's set in stone, as human keep discover new things that betrayed current known facts