Discussion You should read Grasping Evil!

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by hasukoi, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Good for you.
    To each his own

2. hasukoi

hasukoi Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Counterproductive how? Very weird post. You seem to have negative feelings regarding my original comment, and yet because you do not elaborate I can only dismiss your post as weird. The rape in the story is a rather major focus, seeing as Ning Fan himself is a victim of rape at the very beginning of the story. He was kidnapped by a small sect that used him as a dual cauldron, and he almost died because of it. He himself was thrust onto his path of dual cultivation forcibly, and he takes it in strides and in a slightly self deprecating manner at first. He starts immature, very much selfish and doing almost anything for power, but he grows, as you would expect a seventeen year old to do.

barashkafromro and Soren59 like this.
  3. ReadOrDie

ReadOrDie already dead

Reading List:
    Link
    But still, I won't risk damaging my brain with mtl just for that. I've done just that with atg and it short-circuited my brain for awhile.

4. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Negative feelings? You are over thinking.
    I don't even care.
    Rape just like nudity can be gratuitous.. Used for shock value.
    That's the opposite of mature..I am just pointing out that you did not do a good job in promoting the story in your original post.
    Your second post was better but rape in stories is a pet peeve of mine..I avoid such stories well except for Jin Yong of course. Return of the Condor Heroes was a masterpiece

5. Pedram

Pedram Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well well well, If it isn't my most Favorite novel showing up here and getting some "light".

I be honest, I'm not into advertising my most favorite novel, first one all everyone different opinions. 2ndly, they wont really understand and enjoy it unless they read it themselves. Also GE got a few certain point early on, along with it's small amount of Translated chapter, that turns a lot of ppl off before they can uncover it's worth.

I read novels since I was a kid! Read Jap novels since last year of middle school! Started Chinese novels first year of university 4.5 years ago with Coiling Dragon in Wuxiaworld, till now, I've readen thousands of chapter of Chinese novels till now, from popular ones in wuxiaworld to unknown ones which I read using Google/Microsoft Translate!

But since 2.5 years ago when I start reading Grasping Evil, It went from an "okay" novel to "one of my favorite" to "my most favorite" novel ever.
    Grasping Evil is not only a novel that the more you read it the better it get, it also get better the more "other" novel you read. simply because it does not have their silliness/annoyingness/milking and other problems.

the author of Grasping Evil started it 5 years ago, early on he is kinda amaturish, but it already have many foreshadowing and plotpoint, u wont understand it at first, u might think it's a problem of the story, or you might not even notice it, but it's all there.
    after a years of writing he become much better, and his latter chapters are as big as 10k character ( MGA is 2k, ATG/ED is ~3k ) and so much content happen in them normally. 1 chap feels like 10-20 MGA chap :|

Grasping Evil is something that if you understand it, it make you go WoW on each revelation and really excited for each current or upcoming arc.
    It's like the "Hodor" Character from Game of Throne ! ppl all lose their mind when after so many season, we get to see why he keep saying Hodor ! Grasping Evil is like that too, and it got MANY scene like Hodor in GoT. where u will be shocked over a revelation of some small hint 2-3 years ago written by the author in some chapter !

Oh shit ! a new GE Chap just got released ! Qidian app notification, so i wont talk much more.

Just as a side note, I Enjoyed GE so much ! that i used google translate and support Author daily on qidian ! donating and all, Ranked 24 on his fan list Here. I never advertise for it, but I rather donate to author for his great work.

TLDR :
    Should you read GE ? It's not up to me, It's up to u and your own taste,
    But Would I recommend GE ? Absolutely ! It's a hidden gem.
    It's Nothing like other novels, the reason is simple, The Author Love his Work, he wont release milking chapter like MGA, no filler chap or filler side character or arrogant young master that waste 20 chap just to die afterward !

6. Pedram

Pedram Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not gonna argue about you and rape, everyone got their own opinion, and I even kinda agree with you. on many novels.

But the rape in Grasping Evil, specially after the initial 100-200 chapter, feels so natural and okay, it's just part of MC's cultivation method, the rape scene is like 1 paragraph, sometimes even 1 single line, not even showing us, and just say MC harvest cultivated that X woman.

Also all the girls who get raped, are all personally enemy of MC and were trying to kill him, ALL Personally, it's not like MC is mad at random sect, so go rape the girl in that sect !
    Also MC only do it on girls who are same power or stronger than him, so he can benefit from it, many time a bunch of weak females fell on his hand, even if they were enemy, if they were evil or could make trouble for him later, he killed them, if they were too weak or just from the same group as the bad guy but didn't hold grudge, he let them go.

So yeh, unlike other novels, this novel's rape is not any bad point for me. most other novels, i don't really like it either.

7. hasukoi

hasukoi Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Never read Return of the Condors. Considering it was my first time promoting a story, it went pretty well I would say. I do not know if you have tried Grasping Evil, but the rape isn't so much for shock value as it is considered a normal part of the world. Ning Fan is far from the only dual cultivator, and definitely not the only demon path cultivator. Some refine people into living puppets, others act as a false god to gather faith. One technique uses people's souls as bombs. The sexual content is not gratuitous, with almost all of it happening off screen.

The maturity I'm talking about is character growth. Ning fan starts off seventeen years old, sold as a dual cauldron by his family. He is very angry, and has a large enemy he must confront in a short amount of time, or else everything he loves will be destroyed. As such, Ning Fan goes farther on the path of dual cultivation, thus raping to steal cultivation from female attackers and the like. However, once he gets a breather he goes into introspection, wondering if what he did was right.

Grasping Evil is ultimately a web novel, and as I've never read a web novel with any real elements of true philosophical discussion and pondering on what is good and evil, I would say every web novel lacks a maturity, as ultimately the authors are paid by word count and often pander to the reader with exciting developments and face slapping. Grasping Evil has the usual fun, exciting elements and combines it with character growth plus a little introspection. It's definitely one of the best web novels I have read so far.

barashkafromro likes this.
  8. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Enjoy yourselves.
    Cheers!

9. Lil K.O

Lil K.O [Loki]

Reading List:
    Link
    Ughhh
    Another harem
    Even if i read this I would still drop it
    Mc sounds the same as about pretty much every other CN novel protagonist
    And the rape is honestly another reason to drop because of the rape victim becomes lover tag ,which is another annoying CN novel trope which earns an instant drop for me .:blobwoah:

10. Deleted member 110464

Deleted member 110464 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    ...:blobsleepless:

11. Pedram

Pedram Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Damn this new latest chapter was simply great, lots of food for thought.

There isn't a single one of his wife/lovers that he raped, there is not Rape victim becomes lover here, it's Rape victim become dual cauldrons. in GE's World its a real cruel cultivation word, MC is also also is a demon cultivator, in this world ppl would kill or rape and then kill all the time. the only difference is MC here is not a murderer unless the enemy is really too evil and do something unforgiving to MC, if she is female and strong, MC rape her to get her power, and then put her in his world, he them live their life in his world, wont do anything bad to them or force them to do anything against their will afterward, unlike many other ppl we will see in this novel. some ppl literary groom girls to rape and kill to grow stronger. but these girls even tho MC help them a bit, are not really his lovers, his lovers are far less and not a single was raped. all of his lovers also had their own backstory and keep being mentioned in story.

even his first lover, who some ppl might call rape, was not rape, MC was charmed/aphrodisiac but still had his mind, he shot the girl away and told her to leave him, but she decide to come back and help.
    this Aphrodisiac and such thing also never was used again

as I explained for Lil. KO, coz of those reasons mentioned, I'm all okay with rape in this novel coz of those reasons.

I mean seriously, the girls all get the better way out. for example he capture a bunch of woman early on maybe around chap 70-80, those womans were all girls groomed to grow stronger, only to be raped by a old guy and harvest cultivated, then either be killed or sold to prostitute coz they already lost their value after being harvested !

yet when MC got them instead, he never treat them bad, even after harvesting them he keep them alive and let them live peacefully and even sometime give his own treasure that he don't need anymore and is useless for him, to them ! 2 of those girls also which helped him was never raped or harvested, until they asked for him to have sex with them themselves.

so yeh, this rape and capturing of them was 100% good for them.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  12. Lil K.O

Lil K.O [Loki]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep
    Generic protagonist

13. Pedram

Pedram Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yeh yeh whatever :D as I said, I never like to Advertise, coz you can't really make others understand what you understood out of a novel. not only it's hard to tell them everything, and they might not even read ur message, it's also completely possible their opinion is different than you :D

Anyway, the reason I love this MC is not about him and his girls, but his overall personality.
    I freaking wish he was generic MC, so I could find a lot like him and read them all :D

14. Lil K.O

Lil K.O [Loki]

Reading List:
    Link
    Dude what are u seeing
    Cause from your explanation
    He seems very generic
    At least became generic
    Started of selfish but became very caring
    Crule to evil doers And kind to those who treated him with kindness
    Doesn't kill woman but rapes them instead but goes around killing every evil guy
    That's a generic mc

15. Soren59

Soren59 MTL Shill

Reading List:
    Link
    I could give at least 10 reasons why Ning Fan is better than the generic CN protagonist, but considering your "harem hater" title you're probably not the target audience for this novel in the first place and I'd be wasting my time.

runsing and Pedram like this.
  16. Pedram

Pedram Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As i said "it's hard to tell them everything,"
    surely some journalist or expert reviewer can give you a better way to understand, but if i want to tell you i have to write a wall which no one might even read it and waste a lot of time writing it. So i would not.

Just to answer what u said tho,
    He never become very caring, he was and is the same amount of caring he was.
    He is evil, he snatch treasures, steal stuff and kill non-bad guys if they got what he need ! He would sometime respect them ! bow to them and admire them for their will and purpose ! but as long as its against his will and purpose, he still kill them and take their shit.
    Yet he is not Evil, if its not necessary to kill, he wont kill.
    if this bad guy's he killed got a family or sect, he wont slaughter them if not necessary.
    if that random arrogant guy insult him and despise him, he don't care, coz he don't have time waste on bickering with random characters, which are most probably weaker than him.

and many more. but I don't want to spend time thinking to list them here as i don't fell you gonna read this novel in the end anyway.

17. Raizhee

Raizhee who

Reading List:
    Link
    Tl;dr would be nice.

now why I dropped it

coz censorship nowadays
    coz it kept going on hiatus a few chs hiatus again back when i was reading it

18. Pedram

Pedram Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    idk how the human translator is censoring it or not, I read it on https://lnmtl.com/novel/grasping-evil and it's pretty much with no censor on translation's part.
    but the thing is, Grasping Evil only look like a sexual erotic novel, the author himself admit, the early chapters he write more about sex coz he wanted some popularity, but his novel is a master piece of plot and world building and foreshadowing. the sex after the first 200 chapter is always talked about but not showed detailed, it make you read it and have fun and laugh, but wont make you get a boner. so there is nothing to censor, that's only the early parts. laters it's like it show MC and his girl doing it and fooling around, it normally got some funny or interesting scene, but it wont describe the spear going into meat or such things at all.

lastly, Even the author's release speed is slow, but I would never ask for a faster release, coz he is going a great job, A novel that give small daily chapters can never have too much of a deep and important plot and it keep repeating things to end up full of filler or empty.
    GE's Author sometimes release a chapter in 2 day, sometimes 3, sometimes 7, sometimes 10 ! All of them are 7,000~10,000 Character, 5 time bigger than most daily novels like MGA. and pretty much every time he release a chapter after 10 day or so, it got a huge plot development and/or foreshadowing which make you super excited.

I explained a bit about the foreshadowing in my first post in this topic.

19. Raizhee

Raizhee who

Reading List:
    Link
    I was talking about the speed of the translator, not the author. As for you reading on lnmtl, go ahead as you want, but I'm keeping myself away from that thing from how much brain cancer I got reading a few k chapters there

The novel itself is good but no thanks.

Pedram likes this.
  20. ZeroBlink

ZeroBlink Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like my mc's evil to the core, the thought of a good evil mc becoming a goody goody disgusts me