Discussion You should read Grasping Evil!

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by hasukoi, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Pedram

Pedram Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know how you feel and understand, the reason I don't advertise normally for GE is same, 90% readers wont read on LNMTL and the 100 HTL chapter out is NOTHING. so why bother :D
    I myself already read over 10,000 Novel chapter from LNMTL, and even 3-4 big ass novel using Microsoft/Google Translator, so my brain wont even understand it's wrongness anymore lol it's easy to understand.

This MC never was Evil to the Core and never became goody goody lol. he is in morally gray area leaning a bit more toward evil.
    He was always a tit for tat guy, it's like you want to kill the devil ? or you want to steal the devil's treasure ? you will see THE DEVIL. he will slaughter you and give back to u 1000 time over !
    but you're chill with him, he is chill with you ! if he want your treasure, he ask from you, only try to kill u if you don't give it up no matter what.

About him becoming more mature, it's just he is no longer so impulsing like when he was really young at start of novel.
    Like he Slaughtered the WHOLE sect of the guys who force his brother to cultivate in a harmful way. even tho the responsible ppl were a few. he killed thousands even innocent new disciples!
    Now he will still Slaughter but he would only do it on the responsible person and not all random ppl there !

barashkafromro and Raizhee like this.
  2. Deleted member 110464

Deleted member 110464 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm surprised you understood the ero part, I read heavenly Star, I couldn't understand quite a lot of parts like 70%

3. Pedram

Pedram Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I read Heavenly Star ~80%, It was all easy to understand, I don't really remember the ero parts being hard or easy, but well i already read soo much MTL, that all of it is easy.
    Anyway, Grasping Evil doesn't even have 1/10 of Heavenly Star's ero parts, I read HS ~480ish, it's mostly about getting new girls and loli left and right :facepalm:I will finish it one day, kinda got lots to read atm.

Grasping Evil specially after first 200-300 chapter, it's sex scene is mostly like MC or his girl jumping on the other and we hear there is sounds out of their room from night to morning ! even if MC get a fellatio we only get funny comments about it knowing it happened but not descriptive to read and get a boner lol, it's mostly used for fun and its good fun tbh, I love these small scenes of MC interacting with his Girls, its not all about sex either, it show the girls still have their own personality and are not forgotten like many other harem novels that girls just become decorative.

Most of GE's plot is about HUGE World and lots of depth in Dao cultivation and most importantly, Going Against Fate. coz in this novel, unlike a lot of novels, Fate is against MC !

4. Soren59

Soren59 MTL Shill

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it mostly depends on how much MTL you've read because a lot of the same type of language will repeat often and it becomes easier to understand the more you see it, and eventually your brain can interpret it automatically without having to think about it. Like now, unless something's completely mistranslated I can usually understand ~90%+ of what's in MTL without much effort.

As for stuff that gets mistranslated, LNMTL has a term proposition system that lets readers make terms for mistranslated things so that it gets translated correctly for that novel in the future.

Unpopular novels don't usually have that many terms unless you make them yourself so they're harder to read, but novels with a lot of terms made for them like CCG, GE and DE aren't bad as long as you get used to the grammar.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Pedram likes this.
  5. Deleted member 110464

Deleted member 110464 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Is TTNH popular??
    I mean in terms of lnmtl, I really wanna read it

6. Soren59

Soren59 MTL Shill

Reading List:
    Link
    Well it was the first novel I fully read on LNMTL, after about 350 chapters of TL. It's pretty good. It was also what got me into reading more MTL.

I can't remember how readable it was but since it's the first one I read it couldn't have been that bad considering I wasn't used to MTL at that point.

Deleted member 110464 likes this.
  7. barashkafromro

barashkafromro Not well-known member.

Reading List:
    Link
    rape and maturity are irrelevant to each other. It is just a way of self gratification of "I'm more /mature/superior/ because I have /different point of view/tastes/ideology/"

Soren59 likes this.
  8. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry if you are mature that you don't need to be involved in rape.
    Mental impairment is associated with psychopathy which is a good explanation for why someone would be involved in rape
    impairment is the opposite of maturity

A mature character won't be involved in rape. The character must be lacking in some way.

I am not judging anyone's taste and do not even give a damn
    but the incongruity of the statement irks me

9. barashkafromro

barashkafromro Not well-known member.

Reading List:
    Link
    I think I'm starting to degenerate into sjw, I almost suffered cultivation deviation, this is getting dangerous.
    I think I gained understanding how sjw appear.
    In any case a person is sum of all parts internal and external. This is branding everyone who doesn't fit into cookie cutter as different. You should just remember, that it always goes both ways. If you say that somebody is different, you are already different yourself.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  10. Soren59

Soren59 MTL Shill

Reading List:
    Link
    That's not accounting for the fact it's set in a completely culture unlike modern society, where "survival of the fittest" or "strong devours the weak" mentality is prevalent, and being to merciful to your enemies will usually come back to bite you in the ass. The MC doesn't grow up in a cultured school and get taught moral and ethical lessons about how certain things are "right" or "wrong". He's thrown out into the world and has to survive and grow stronger relying what he can. He matures over time in that kind of world, and whether or not you like the direction he matures in is obviously subject to opinion but that doesn't stop it from happening.
    You can find rape detestable but that does not mean it objectively entails mental impairment and/or psychopathy, not a solid point.
    I don't see any factual argument to back this up, it just looks like an opinion-based statement to me. How exactly do you define 'mature'?
    Seems like a redundant statement since everyone can be considered "lacking in some way" depending on your point of view.

11. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Let me put it very simple.
    A mature story does not mean mature characters
    And you just made my point, essentially calling the protagonist a feral child

12. Pedram

Pedram Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dear God, I'm no rape lover and I respect your opinion about not wanting rape,
    But you must have mistaken maturity and magnanimity ( being magnanimous mean noble and generous in spirit ).

Maturity means making the correct decision and always being cool headed and does not get consumed by greed/lust ( or any other 7 Mortal Sins like pride/envy etc ), it mean that a mature person's act and decision making is not effected by his lust or greed, but its made after careful thinking and choosing.

This can be intercepted as you said, saying a Mature person will simply not rape, but that's a wrong interception,
    a Mature person can still rape, if that's the decision he made after careful thinking and decision making, he is still a mature person as long as he is not getting his decisions affected by his lust.

now being a magnanimous and mature person, it mean that even after carefully thinking and deciding that raping this person will bring you no harm and only benefit ! you still decide not to do it, because you are a noble person and this act is not a morally acceptable act.

Now back to the topic of this novel at hand,
    The MC in this novel is a Mature person, but he is not a magnanimous person.
    The only time you see the MC in this novel to make immature and reckless decisions are when his family or loved ones are in danger or their survival/revival is at the stake.
    All the other times, he make the correct mature decision, All the times that he rape someone was beneficial to him, and his decision was the correct and mature one, but not the morally correct one.
    over 1000 time we see him reject a beauty's offer ( if its not from love and just for sex ) or don't capture the female enemy if he don't need to do it.

13. Soren59

Soren59 MTL Shill

Reading List:
    Link
    It also doesn't mean immature characters... It doesn't mean anything about the characters.
    If you read my post carefully I didn't actually directly describe any traits about the protagonist at all, I just said what kind of world he's in. Feral is definitely one trait I wouldn't attribute to him though.

Without reading the novel yourself it would be hard to get a full picture for his personality which is why I didn't bother describing it here. Although based on your taste I doubt you'll ever read the novel so we're basically arguing based on a probably misconstrued impression you have of the protagonist based on posts from different people on this thread and not necessarily what he's actually like, which makes it nearly impossible to prove any points since you don't have the full accurate picture of the object of the discussion and this is all hypothetical talk.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  14. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I never called you a rape lover. Also, I was not responding to you since he was just using whataboutisms and fallacies to talk in circles

Magnamity is sparing someone from death when they deserve it.
    I will reiterate my point, rape is a mature theme to explore in a story
    Mature characters do not engage in rape for two reasons
    1. The first one is lust as you explained
    2. The second is that a mature person has more intricate way to punish enemies
    Rape is a tool yes but an incompetent one. A mature person would brainwash their enemy instead and turn them into loyal slaves or something amongst those lines.
    But honestly like us not kid ourselves, the rape in these novels is usually just put in there for gratification. Taboo is tantalizing

15. Pedram

Pedram Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ik u didn't call me rape lover, i was just stating that my comment is from a sideless perspective.

and about the mature point u said, the thing is, in this novel, There is no raping someone for punishment like in MGA and other novels,
    anytime the MC rape someone in his novel, he wanted to harvest their cultivation to improve his own,also not a single one of his "Lovers" got raped by him,
    and many time MC gave up on harvesting someone, for whatever reason ( suspicious,danger,forgiveness etc )
    and he don't do rape for punishment, so yeh, calling this MC mature is not wrong in my idea. specially after he grow up a bit and not the early 200 chapter when he is still a kid who lost his only family and is forced into this demon path.

Wujigege likes this.
  16. Soren59

Soren59 MTL Shill

Reading List:
    Link
    Except he does have a reason which is that the cultivation method he inherits is based on Yin-Yang and dual cultivation so it's by far the fastest way of cultivating for him, and he also has Yin-Yang veins which coincide with that cultivation method so other cultivation techniques are trash in comparison for him. And there's also a reason why he needs to cultivate fast.

Yeah you could argue the author used that as an excuse, but that doesn't change the fact it's a legitimate reason for MC. It also doesn't happen that much to be honest, especially in later chapters. And since it's enemies who tried to kill him he doesn't have a reason to show mercy when he can increase his cultivation base by doing it.

Pedram likes this.
  17. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    So it is used as a plot device by the author to bypass both of the two reasons I gave. It is genius, a gratification trope presented as something else.

Reminds me of Seikirei, this novel is going to be very popular. It is like prescribed rape or something.
    If not for Google's policies, I might have translated this... something like this

18. Soren59

Soren59 MTL Shill

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want to call it that sure, although despite how much focus we've spent arguing about rape and sex it's not actually that big a part of the novel. In terms of the amount of characters it takes up content-wise overall, probably less than 2%, maybe even less than 1%.

The novel would still hold on its own as a great novel even if there was no sexual content whatsoever and it was 100% cultivation and plot, at least to me personally. It just happens to have mature content as well, some people like that and some people don't that's just how it is.

19. Pedram

Pedram Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sure if you just want to insist on it being a gratification from the author for his novel, I can't disagree with that.

But what's wrong with an author wanting to make his novel more enjoyable to some ppl tbh, as we talked, the way he made it, even non-rape lovers and some rape haters will not really hate it, and even if they don't enjoy it, as long as they read the novel up to that point and know how the novel is, they wont mind it.
    Plus, as Soren said, those matters are sooo small compare to the content of the novel...
    this novel is being written by author for 5 years, i think last time he rape someone was the quasi-saints from Ant Clan, which was like 3-4 months ago, and the time before that goes like 1.5 years ago ! I'm talking "Real Time" time and not in-novel time btw, in novel it pass like hundreds of years xD
    And when it actually happened, for example the last one, the chapter is 10,000 Chinese Character, and the rape scene is like 500 Character in the chapter .... so it's like 5% of a single chapter once a year ! there is no real detailed sex scene writing for gratification here, just a simple few line.

the whole novel is about Samsara, lots of plot forshadowing, going against fate, cultivation, fighting and action, and reunion !
    and in my opinion, the Main Character is my most favorite Main Character and really mature. and i love his personality.

20. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I called it genius. I am complimenting the author. What else do you want? :notlikeblob:
    Hahaha. I am not criticising the novel as being bad. I am saying it is good but not my taste.
    I was also pointing out that rape is for gratification and does not equate to maturity
    Doesn't make the story bad.
    Epoch of Twilight author is also a genius. There is a sex scene every 20 chapters or so like clockwork
    I am not reading that either, I dropped it because I don't want to read sexualized underage kids.
    The same with rape but I would translate both novels if I could
    It is a formula that works

Pedram likes this.