Discussion Your biggest pet peeve while reading a novel?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by NinjapowerMS, Dec 2, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. novaes

novaes Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't really bother to read comments or reviews anymore because of this. I also hate this when the author is the one doing it, either in their own novel blurb or those weird moments when they authors decides to break continuity and go "and 3yrs from now MC will regret things because blah blah blah unnecessary spoiler wtfm8"

2. MMWO

MMWO *pout*

Reading List:
    Link
    I super super agree

3. GrumpyNPC

GrumpyNPC Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Character names changing or being misspelled often

In far too many novels I come across characters who's name is spelled different even within the same sentence and with so many similar sounding names it becomes super frustrating to try and keep track of who is who. For example, i could swear 'g' is an optional letter considering how often it is added and removed from character names on the fly.

4. wantek

wantek Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    lol, i remember one site with green border, white background with grey color for the fonts i happen to see a week ago.
    i feel like i need to check my eyes after just 30 mins or so reading there

5. Rumby

Rumby Rumbly Tumbly

Reading List:
    Link
    Translated novels in image format or repetitive do not steal texts with curses.
    Like I use a voice text reader so images don't work & hearing f*** u so many times turns me off, can't pay attention to the story if all I hear is it after every few sentences.

6. Szara

Szara Your average American Psycho

Reading List:
    Link
    - Amnesia plotlines in the middle of the story. GOD I HATE AMNESIA especially when it doesn’t add anything to the story, except for dragging out the plot as filler. (This mostly happens in Korean dramas).

- No ‘next chapter’ link especially when the story is posted on Wordpress/Livejournal, which is a nightmare to navigate on mobile... “oh here’s the next entry about random-stuff-thats-totally-unrelated-to-the-story-im-currently-reading” OR “click here to see to all entries made on February 18th, Year 508 B.C. !

...NOT f*cking helpful ok! .....and these people never add a directory/table of contents for all the chapters, either :blobpensive: and GOD help you if you post stories on Tumblr... just don’t...

- I often use the text-to-speech tool to read stories for me while I multi-task. Some sites would put in “fake text” to deter bots from stealing their translations, and I’ll suddenly hear messages saying “This translation belongs to BUNGHOLE-GARDEN.COM. If you are reading this translation elsewhere, then it was stolen from BUNGHOLE-GARDEN.COM. Please visit BUNGHOLE-GARDEN.COM to read the official translation, thank you!”

...I mean, I understand why they do that, but then I get a bunch of gibberish text afterwards that goes on for minutes until I skip to the right paragraph.

- Certain sites re-directing me to scam websites, and won’t let me go backwards to the previous page. (I have to go disable JavaScript on my browser).

These are minor gripes. But I’m just a freeloader who doesn’t pay for translations, so I try not to complain too much ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  7. Deleted member 213850

Deleted member 213850 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    When the "Next Chapter" isnt the next chapter but an introduction of the chapter + a longass blog about something not related to the novel at all. I've read a lot of translated works this year and I like reading personal blogs since forever, but it really hurts the immersion when I get to see a page I didn't asked for.

Some pages tend to overdo with the ads as well. I always read in my phone, hence I usually let go of a novel, regardless how good it is, if the publisher/translator decides to put in a huge pop up ad or a large banner that has to be manually tapped to hide away (If I'm lucky).

8. Luneder

Luneder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Bad translation and editing.
    2. Cussing every other line which brings nothing to the novel and sounds immature.
    3. Novels that do nothing but repeat the same thing over an over again like MC has an enemy, MC defeats enemy after getting real strong then in the next chapter MC finds out said enemy is a weakling under a stronger enemy and has to get stronger again. By the end of the novel this process is repeated 30 or more times.
    4. Author drags out arc with pointless dialog that adds nothing to the plot or story. Example would be Hachinan tte, Sore wa Nai Deshou! which is 90% political talk, 5% action/content, and 5% random stuff that does nothing for the story.
    5. Novels that just take the plot of another novel and just change the names of the characters but the same exact stuff happens then claim their novel is original and has nothing to do with the novel that was published years before.
    6. Qidian/Webnovel the paywalls have paywalls that hide more paywalls.

9. ZeroBlink

ZeroBlink Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When MC pulls something out of his ass in the nick of time , completely disregarding any form of foreshadowing or proper story telling.
    Also naïve Mc's

10. moto

moto Spam Bot

Reading List:
    Link
    Characters over explaining anything like a anime flashback that last 5 mins long every chapter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.