Question Your dropping policies or rules.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by setomono, Apr 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I've not really run into one of those cases myself yet so can't really say, I do dislike discord in general though.

setomono and Wujigege like this.
  2. navybluecake

navybluecake Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Confusing/boring writing style. For example, scene jump to another scene randomly. Scenes that are too dragging. Pointless scenes.

Unlikable MC. Too multitalented or too perfect. Or just being so pretty without any personality.

setomono likes this.
  3. Shunraiki

Shunraiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I usually read BL,

the reason I drop if there is too much dog food/romance, if the novel revolves around romance, I'm gonna drop it. Its fine to have some romance, but you can't throw away the plot or character development, like the first chapter, mc meet ml, second chapter, they love each other and this novel has more than 100 chapters...there is no villain or some villain were solve within a chapter.

Another is rape, I remember reading QT BL novel where ML rape MC pretty much for 3 worlds (yes, I read that far), At first, I was like, hmmmmmmmm, the plot was fine, what with this rape, maybe in the second world ml change, Then in second world.....hmmmmmmmmmmmm, I should drop this but the next world is Orc, and tribe and I like this kind of storyy, I drop after reading halfway through the 3rd world.

setomono likes this.
  4. Rumby

Rumby Rumbly Tumbly

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm based on some I’ve dropped so far
    • unnecessary BS broken logic
    • Story changes from serious into derp dumb
    • Unnecessary perverted comments/moment or just cringe
    • Cannot relate to character
    • Draggy style that I fell asleep reading few times
    • Can’t overlook the flaws of story, world building and/or character
    • Due to spoiling myself, find out it’s a bad / not good ending... or ship I want doesn’t sail (or I just don’t like the ship result )
    • Sometimes tag I am avoiding suddenly appear (usually happen when I read non tagged stuff or published books )
    Oh I am definitely not the type who enjoys forcing myself to finish reading books I don’t enjoy so yeah I just move on to new story

setomono likes this.
  5. albeldayuia

albeldayuia Can't-Re Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of the time I can't rationalize why I stop reading, just the sense of I don't like it and I got bored. Probably MC not interesting enough.
    • I'm sure though I can't stand too strong golden finger/protagonist halo
    • When the synopsis/blurbs only covers the first conflict, so after the promised content is done I lost interest
    • Not being in the right mood. There are abandoned ones that I can finish when I try to read again in another time
    • There are some novels with super interesting premise and I read some chapters just to have a taste, I don't have negative opinions on them, but I just want to jump to other 'interesting' novels.
    • A lot of times, I just find new things to read I forgot that I was in the middle of reading something
    Damn when put like that turns out I know a lot of the reasons :facepalm:

setomono likes this.
  6. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    The main reason for me to drop a story, is if I'm getting bored while reading it. I have better things to do with my time than reading a story that bores me, so... I just drop it.

Other main factor is when the premise changes too drastically... Like when a child protagonist slice of life story gets timeskipped into a teen protag story that hardly feels the same because tons of things changed during the timeskip.
    Or when a fluffy cute slice of life becomes all about a big serious and heavy war... Those things make me drop because the story is no longer what I wanted to read when I started, it just changed into something else entirely.

And uhn... That's it for me, I think.

Oh, and bad art in mangas/webtoons. It's really really really hard for me to keep on reading if I dislike the art in those.

setomono and Nimroth like this.
  7. Saorihirai

Saorihirai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    jk~
    Honestly, when I get bored of it or super annoyed. If I were to list every thing that annoys me, I feel like I'd go on forever, so let me say a few things that do attract me. Good writing, (should be a given when reading novels but somehow webnovels have an incredibly low bar for this), fleshed out characters that aren't just supporting characters but each with their own personality, a unique world, and unpredictable I guess?

setomono likes this.
  8. AmethystCherry

AmethystCherry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    *Lolies (which are prominent in cooking novels for some odd reason)
    *Pedophiles (disguised as comedic material most times) sometimes they use the excuse of the girl/boy, usually girl having a 6000 years soul so it's okay.
    *Nationalism/Racism/Homophobia/transphobia (that's a 100% drop)
    *Rape.. I can't with these. Asian authors are honestly obsessed with rape. I don't know what's wrong! Lol. It's sometimes even used as a catalyst for starting romance. Any mention for me is almost always a drop because I know where it's going. By this point it's cliché. I also don't like it even if it's just a novel : (
    *Sexism or mostly misogyny but only if it's too excessive that it disrupts the story and immersion from being ridiculous because at this point all Asian novels mostly have sexism, from what I've mostly read.
    *Mentions of brothels almost always means the novel isn't for me.
    *Fox pets forcibly turned into females is a sure drop.
    *Forced comedy at the expense of the plot.
    *Excessive face-slapping. (Since a lot of Chinese novels thrive on face-slapping)
    *Excessive filler. It actually depends on how worth the story is to push on with the fillers.
    *Too OP or too unrealistic.
    *Ecchi
    *Harem (don't like reverse harem too but maybe will read it sometimes)
    *Really genuinely malicious or authentic evil MC. Anti-hero/heroine is okay.
    *when there's too much descriptions describing a woman's body, face, nose, legs everything. Especially when it's done every 5 paragraphs. Yes Chinese authors leave no stone unturned.

I probably have much more but that's it for now.
    What do I do... I feel like I described most Chinese novels.
    Yeah.. now I don't read much these days or weeks. I now mostly read romance, cute or light stories, slice of life and sometimes horror(lol it could surprisingly be fun).

Shunraiki and setomono like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.