Discussion Your favorite type of magic xianxia?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by AardwarkThe2nd, Oct 14, 2018.

?

Your favorite type of magic xianxia?

1. Western Fantasy (Coiling Dragon)

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  2. Magus World (Warlock of the Maugs World)

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  3. DND inspired (Night Ranger)

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. Oriental Shamans (The Magus Era)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Anything else (comment)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AardwarkThe2nd

AardwarkThe2nd (R-18 writer) Aardwark, the king of aardvarks!

Reading List:
    Link
    Magic Xianxia aren't rare now, which type do you like more?

Western Fantasy - Like Coiling Dragon, western magic with western worldbuilding. Setting is similar to most Western magic stories. I guess? Step by step learning magic and rising through cultivation levels, with upper cultivation levels being of godhood.

Magus World - WMW was the first story of this sort for the English fandom. Every magus is ruthless to the bone, seeking power by experimentation. Nearly everyone is hiding schemes in their heart and alliances perpetually fall apart. The real Magus World might seem dysfunctional yet it still is a superdimensional power that invades lesser worlds. The MC is usually a antihero at the least and needs IQ for basic functioning.

DND Inspired - Like Night Ranger, the world is more or less ripped off from one of Dungeons and Dragons games. It has MC usually seek power with a game system. Western settings and western names dominate as usual.

Oriental Shamans - I'll call Magus Era one of this, Beseech the Devil counts as well. Basically Chinese barbaric cult magic like curses, incantations, etc. There is some horror. Most of the cultivation is still physical strength boosting and the entire 'Oriental Shamn' magic arc is quite a short part of the story.

ISSTH and other xianxia aren't a part of this, there is more use of magic treasures and less use of spells in most of them. And the magic is... Well, I just don't count them as a part of this K?

2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't care about types but Coiling Dragon is my favourite. Esp. the world building/comprehension of the principles/laws; it was thoughtfully structured and superbly executed.

jinxs2011 likes this.
  3. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    this. . .
    and welp readers can understand the power structure of the world being portrayed by the author. . . .
    not like others who just throw a lot of info of this and that and boom i doesn't matter for our MC because he's suddenly above those. . .

and welp. . . why no ISSTH!!???
    HUUUUHHH!!!!!

4. scribbledoutname

scribbledoutname Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    These options don't cover those genres well (xianxia / xuanhuan / litRPG) lol...

But if I had to pick from the options, I'd choose Western. I enjoy xuanhuan the most out of those choices. Also CD and Warlock are basically in the same category, just different MCs and different worlds

5. Viator

Viator [Cult of Pyoo: Pyoo's Oak Tree]

Reading List:
    Link
    Favorite Magic... Dao of Snort.

6. Houye

Houye Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I pick Magus World, it was interesting to read and I like smart anti protags that hold power.

7. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    arcana of magical throne is pretty good but it doesn't delve deep into magic....it's pretty werid cus the mc writes papers and stuff on it but....we just know he's writing it but theres no explanation and you feel like u know but when you think about it you don't

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.