YouTube's Copyright System Isn't Broken. The World's Is.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Vanidor, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So I mentioned in the thread about Bugs Bunny's redemption a lot about copyright, and then today happen to see a long ass video by Tom Scott on the subject.

If you are a creator of any kind, as in author, artist, photographer, video creator, or even just like to edit images and create memes, it is worth watching.

A final note, copyright is governed at base by international agreements, and then built upon by individual countries. What that means is a lot of countries agreed to some basic parts, then say the USA added new rules on top of that. Depending where you live it could be very different.

imK likes this.
  2. TypeFantasyHeart

TypeFantasyHeart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Whats this about?

3. KageTokage

KageTokage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No clue, but Tom Scott makes some interesting videos.

4. HiroBlaze

HiroBlaze Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, its broken.

Look at what what happened to TheFatRat's video. Some nobody copyright strikes his own song.

5. Vanidor

Reading List:
    Link
    Summed down? People create things, other people use it without permission like young masters.

That's not YouTube's fault, they aren't a court. That's the fact that laws in the US and around the world are about 2 decades out of date. Any video site will have the same problems in the end, and if they ignore it then the video site will disappear.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2020
    mangoberry, AliceShiki and imK like this.
  6. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    I got fed up trying to explain copyright law to some nuffians who would rather get in their feels about it. I even blocked a particularly dense one over it.
    A fake copyright claim doesn't alter the copyright law of your country or other countries.

HiroBlaze likes this.
  7. Vanidor

Reading List:
    Link
    Young masters in books mirror real life.

imK likes this.
  8. HiroBlaze

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a fake copyright claim. Not an issue with international copyright laws or domestic laws. YT's system allows it to happen.

No, YT is not blameless. They are the ones that decide how they enforce the laws in their own twisted ways. If YT continues on this current trend, then another rival will nab all the dissatisfied customers. Scandals after scandals will run the company dry of goodwill and "You"tubers.

Wujigege likes this.
  9. Vanidor

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, no. A fake copyright claim by law has to be settled in court.

YouTube can't decide it, they aren't a court. Even the most outrageous fake claim, like me claiming I own all videos of Katy Perry's YouTube music video's can't be decided by YouTube, it has to be decided by a court.

And the idea that YouTube will lose subscribers to another video company because of copyright is flawed, because any other company will have to do almost exactly the same thing or it will be shut down within months by billions of dollars of lawsuits. YouTube could be a lot clearer and more responsive to their creators but they can't enforce the laws, only abide by them.

Finally, the idea that YouTube or any other company can judge on the laws is absolutely horrific. Do you want Amazon, or Disney, deciding laws?

AliceShiki and imK like this.
  10. DeirdreH

DeirdreH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really. TPTB have already decided that user-generated online content is to be deprecated. Nobody will be allowed to successfully compete with YouTube.

That's the point. "You"tubers are too effective at competing with corporate content producers and notoriously difficult to keep on-narrative so they are going to be marginalized until they give up.

YouTube only catered to individual content producers as long as it took to get a monolopy. Now their plan is to become cable TV 2.0.

Wujigege likes this.
  11. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    TLDR, in China you have no copyright, nor rights of any kind. :blobpeek:

imK likes this.
  12. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    so basically what you are saying is what a lot of youtubers have already covered: the copyright is bullshit. Yeah. Thanks dude but we already know. Its not youtube's fault people are shitty. I just dont get why the fuck in recent years its gotten so damn bad.

Wujigege and imK like this.
  13. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    not true. You have the right to remain silent, and get beaten if you dont use said right

imK likes this.
  14. HiroBlaze

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess so if that's their business strategy in the end. The next issue, is that its very liberal to the extent that conservative leaning voices will be drowned too. The golden age of YT for me was when all the Asian Youtubers got a great deal of exposure.

Traditional cable was cheaper than all these streaming services and subscription plans.

@elengee

lol

elengee likes this.
  15. Vanidor

Reading List:
    Link
    Somewhat, but the video goes into suggestions on how copyright should be changed in the future to catch up to modern day. It would require changing laws around the world but starting sooner means fixing it sooner.

imK and AliceShiki like this.
  16. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link

17. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's still a lot of YouTube's fault. They completely side with the person making complaints. There is very little in the way of disputes you can do. And even if you do get it solved eventually you don't just get all that lost revenue back. I've seen people get copyrighted over still images or 10 second clips used to show the viewer what they were talking about.

Many organizations use it as a tool to remove any negative opinion videos from circulation. There is no punishment or downside to spamming legit content with copyright claims.

18. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah you don't have the right to remain silent. If you don't tell them what they want to hear they'll throw you in prison. You read the cue cards and apologize for going against the perfect and undamaged communist(oligarchy) party. Just like that doctor who blew the whistle on covid-19. He was made to apologise publicly for spreading misinformation, and then after he died(pretty strange considering most deaths were elderly or homeless, not middle aged doctors) they still flat or called him a liar in a press release.

Cupcake Ninja and imK like this.
  19. Vanidor

Reading List:
    Link
    They can't pick sides, that's what the strikes are, someone saying "Oh, this is mine", and you saying "Okay it is yours" or "Okay, I'll see you in court". YouTube can't judge disputes, they can only mediate a bit.

And under the current laws you don't have the right for still images or 10 second clips, those belong to someone. Someone made those, the fact that they are short doesn't mean everyone gets ownership. If you created a video I don't get to just say "Oh, I like that, I'll use it and make money off it instead of you".

Finally, there is a punishment or downside, you take them to court and countersue.

20. RR Vocaloid

RR Vocaloid RoyalRoad.com Slepragt

Reading List:
    Link
    [insert long argument about Fair Use]

Vanidor likes this.