Discussion yuri or yaoi?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by efo, May 21, 2021.

?

which one?

1. yuri

2. yaoi

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. efo

efo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I never read or watched yuri, don't know why but I've always stock with yaoi so I don't have much thoughts about it but I want to see what you guys think about yuri and yaoi genre and maybe some of you could make recommendations of some easy to read, not so heavy yuri novels for me to read and see, maybe someday I can give it a try. thank you :)

2. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Yuri is for the most part, a branch of shoujo. Just substitute the male lead with a female lead and you have yuri.

Main difference to shoujo though, is that the main character position tends to flip flop between both female leads, while in shoujo the female lead is the obvious main character.

As for recommendations...

https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=27014 is a cute fluffy one. It was the series that got me into yuri, so I love it very much.
    https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=123143 is one that involves a love triangle, some gender issues and a BL subplot... Lots of drama in this one, but it's amazing~
    https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=112652 Fluffy Slice of Life without much of a plot. Pretty cute and funny.

Naraina and efo like this.
  3. kurokitsune8

kurokitsune8 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I generally do not read yuri so my vote would go to yaoi (always haha).
    The only time I ever read came near to read yuri was when I read "Mage and Demon Queen" webtoon.
    I also feel that the yuri content is not as polished as yaoi.

Grey_Angel and efo like this.
  4. Sutad Aatma

Sutad Aatma Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    hmmmm i like both tbh
    but i prefer yuri more because i love the dynamics of yuri more
    but yaoi has better xoxo scenes...
    both of them have their own merits

efo likes this.
  5. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just watched Orange is the new Black, I guess it falls under Yuri. However, their relationship is really problematic, perhaps the setting has something to do with that? Yaoi on the other hand are usually fluffy and cute in terms of their relationship, but there are tons of hot scenes that make it look like a hentai with a bit of story.

Grey_Angel and efo like this.
  6. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    ... How can you say something isn't as polished if you don't read it...?

Naraina likes this.
  7. emiliers

emiliers Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The only yuri novel I would 100% recommend right now is Murasakiiro no Qualia, and that's... heavy as heck.

But, while I've only read the manga (which I really enjoyed), I heard the Adachi and Shimamura LNs are pretty good? So worth checking out if you want slice-of-life yuri.

If you want something more plotty, then Otherside Picnic maybe? I've read only a few pages so far, but its premise is intriguing enough to recommend all on its own.

As for manga though! I 100% recommend Asagao to Kase-san. which is a super adorable slice-of-life romance series about two different girls falling in love with each other!! It's super sweet, sugary, and nothing bad ever happens!

My personal favorite yuri is actually Nishi Uko's Collectors, but I think that's more for 4koma aficionados than anything, haha. Not sure if I'd recommend it to everyone. It's a slice-of-life series about two adult working women who've been in a relationship since college.

There's also of course famous ones like Bloom Into You or quintessential yuri mangaka like Morishima Akiko (whose Conditions of Paradise is still one of my favorites) that are worth checking out too~

Finally, as for your initial question... I think I read more BL in general, but I like GL more. I tend to read heavily in all genres, and BL just seems to be more popular.

efo, Ddraig and AliceShiki like this.
  8. Grey_Angel

Grey_Angel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Reading yuri makes me feel so weird. I'm not homophobic and I like to read yaoi. However, I cannot read yuri except for a few soft series. I couldn't get over

efo likes this.
  9. idlereader

idlereader 『Agentt's Aunt』『Don't touch the Flowersss!!!!』

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't read yuri yet.

efo likes this.
  10. Shadowdrop

Shadowdrop Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I read both as long as the plot is good, but I am a straight female, so reading particularly detailed intimate scenes in yuri makes me feel a bit uncomfortable. Maybe because I unconsciously imagine it happening to me, which is against my sexuality.

Hweianime, AliceShiki and efo like this.
  11. Bobasis

Bobasis Weeeeee

Reading List:
    Link
    I like both honestly . If the plot is good I’ll read it . I don’t prefer one over the other . I have stories I like from both genres . But if I had to choose I guess yaoi because I read it more often than yuri . I still like them both tho .

AliceShiki and efo like this.
  12. Alina Moktan

Alina Moktan LaLisa Stole My Heart

Reading List:
    Link
    As a girl, Yuri. I prefer yuri. Honestly i love yuri more than bg. I don't like BL. As for bg, i only like world hopping and matriarchy BG.

Sabruness, AliceShiki and efo like this.
  13. kurokitsune8

kurokitsune8 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I apologize, my wordings came out wrongly, I didn't mean to look down at yuri. I shouldn't have said that in accordance to my inexperience on the topic concerned.

AliceShiki likes this.
  14. Nana24

Nana24 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Prefer yaoi
    For yuri, I feel awkward to read. (as long as there are no intimate scenes, kisses is still fine.)
    Only read one yuri manga before, tamen de gushi.
    Reason: MC is a power girl, have good friendship with the boys.
    [​IMG]

Shadowdrop and efo like this.
  15. Hweianime

Hweianime Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can read yuri but I still prefer yaoi. I guess cuz I just like hot guys hehe- usually in romance there's a lot of talk in appearances and what not and I simply appreciate descriptions over the male form more than female. But also, and this is probably the main thing, there's a lot more plot variety and such in yaoi than yuri. I just find the writing is higher quality and yuri (or at least yuri translations) is definitely behind on the trends so it's mainly cliche meh stuff in my opinion with few gems.

16. Naraina

Naraina Step Red Sibling ⭐ | † Trickster

Reading List:
    Link
    I honestly don't have any kind of particular feelings for any of those genres but if I gotta choose I'll always choose Yuri over Yaoi.
    I think yuri is much more better focused on relationships and feelings but in yaoi.... they're always in bed or doing something intimate like that T-T)...this lead me to stop looking for BLs and sticking with other genres.

I'm not saying all BL stories are like that..I'm just talking about those I find usually.

Last edited: May 29, 2021
    AliceShiki likes this.
  17. Chuchuchama

Chuchuchama Oh hey there

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I prefer yaoi than yuri. As a girl I like watching two guys in relationship.
    I have never read any novels only mangas. It's better to watch than reading:blobnosebleed:
    But most of the time yaoi couples are like stereotype bg couples. Top being masculine and bottom is shy, cute.
    There aren't many mangas where the masculine guy is bottom and shy one is the top.

18. Shy Muffin

Shy Muffin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, I would read both of them. I've read a few yuri novels and manga but what I've read most are usually yaoi, tho if someone did recommend me or if I came across any yuri manga or novels that catch my eye, I would read it. Both of them are alright and I would read anything that is interesting to me, I don't really prefer any of the two. Well, maybe if it comes to some stuff maybe I might prefer one of them than the other.