Discussion ZhanXian worth continuing & where was I?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Okuri Ookami, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Okuri Ookami

Okuri Ookami 'Chi Chi Chi' calls the Sparrow

Reading List:
    Link
    I last read ZX a LONG time ago probably just after I joined the NUF community (so around November to January). I remember stopping somewhere around him venturing into an estate of an person he beheaded in that different plane where time was all mixed up. The manor had a array covering it and it hadn't been touched in a very long time. If I remember correctly there was a huge pile of corpses lining the center of the place with all kinds of monsters / beast / etc.. There was also a herb garden with all sorts of elixirs that haven't been touch in like forever.

I don't know if all this happened when it was being retranslated or nah, all I remember was being not taken with the story, a little pissed every time I read it, generally disregarding it after reading a few chapters to switch to a more interesting one. Some stories I'll have low expectations of or have a competeing story that I'm more interested in that will draw more of my focus and prevent me from enjoying the less attractive one so I do skip over some top stories that I have to go back and reevaluate. I was wondering if this maybe one?

So is this story IYO worth reading? And if I wanted to continue can you point me in the direction (chapter) I left off on? It was on my reading list... under dropped not 'trash I should never pick up again' before Tony made the changes that affected our reading lists. Dropped means I read it and maybe didn't like it but I can reevaluate it later while the latter means, well its self explanatory.

2. Odyssey

Odyssey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    its good and if he's just getting the herb garden that like chpt 13

3. Detrolord

Detrolord Regular Pervert Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well its was retranslated by another translator so the translation is better now.
    currently the new arc is kinda slow but I suggest read the old arcs till this arc since its kinda interesting.
    Also our mc is building his power behind the scenes

4. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not the type to reread old chapters unless I don't know even the gist of them but I pretty much remember all the important parts. Unless the old TL had major flaws in them I don't see me rereading them.

By building up behind the scene are you talking bout like TTNH? Or something similar?

5. camroc

camroc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, its good and bad. There's a lot of plot armor in the story, (SEMI SPOILER ALERT of first 10 chapters) especially for the premise of the MC where he's a reincarnated renegade, he happens to know a lot of shit happening in the mortal world. The author also creates a very convoluted cultivation system with spirit power, dantian, life energy, spiritual awareness, killing intent, yin and yang element qi, and others I might have forgotten. However, the author is pretty good with having semi meaningful arcs with morals at the end. I do enjoy his beheading motto/mantra too.

Okuri Ookami likes this.
  6. I your Father

I your Father Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's good and though the beginning is quite "cliche" it becomes better after.The MC is smart and likeable.

ElTorroLoco likes this.
  7. morli

morli Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's quite cliche story with little interesting plot/twist. The author just prefer to use monologue over dialogue, creating a dull story. And the characters just bored you to death with how predictable they act. Even his female teacher can't live up to her hype with how dull she is.

8. Detrolord

Reading List:
    Link
    about the building up its not that complex as TTNH. Just say he
    He is helping his master to be one of the strongest talent in the world gathering few talented disciples, helped his great master to break through yuanying current has 2 pets at yuanying stage.
    Yuanying is only nxt to Dacheng in terms of cultivation and theres only a few of them in the mortal world
    And the 2 pets are stronger than human yuanying

9. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    PETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT TYPE OF PETS???????!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. craBebe

craBebe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's around chapter 13/14. Honestly, that's exactly where I stopped too!

I just kinda lost interest at that point, it was right after like.. 3 chapters of long cultivation explanations where the author decided he wanted to explain all the cultivation methods he gained from executing the celestial court. After that huge info dump, him going into the herb garden really felt boring so I just dropped it.

That said, after catching up on other reading I came back to it and pushed through that point to when he rejoins the sect, and at that point the story really took off for me. The story got way better and it's one of my favorite reads now. Every once in a while you'll have to watch out for some info dumps again, where the author decides to explain all of pill making, or all of a new cultivation technique and it gets kinda boring again, but once it gets back to the story it's a really interesting read.

Definitely get back into it, you'll love it.

11. Beel

Beel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well it gets pretty good where i am(450 chapters) as no one dares to touch him because of his status as pill refiner and as for the Greatest Heaven Sect he robs them, blasts them, takes away future genius, makes a few important people crazy, leaks information and all sorts of crazy stuff.

12. Detrolord

Reading List:
    Link
    one sadist serpent and one angry scorpion

13. Blank9

Blank9 Interdimensional Traveller

Reading List:
    Link
    Its absolutely worth it.....*Listening to 5th harmony' worth it'*

14. craBebe

Reading List:
    Link
    Demon critters, this just recently happened in the story and it'll be interesting to see how much the author decides to expand on it.

15. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link

Snake and scorpion? The only snake I like is from DE while the only scorpion I like is from DD... this story doesn't have a D in it... how entertaining or likable are the pets.

This is a determining factor

16. craBebe

Reading List:
    Link
    It literally happened within the last 2 chapters, but they seem to have interesting personalities. So far their relationship is based on fighting each other, so it's pretty entertaining.

Astaroth and Okuri Ookami like this.
  17. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess I should let the story sit for another 50 or so chapters. Well its not like I'm hurting for things to read atm, just wanted to have a plan for further down the road.

Thanks to everyone that replied!

18. Knightlight

Knightlight Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i personally very much enjoy it, but putting it off till it has around 150-175 chapters before binge reading again

19. Kung Pao

Kung Pao chickens don't get headaches, they eat my grains

Reading List:
    Link
    IMO Zhanxian it's above above average (yeah x2 above) . Plot is pretty generic but the reason it's slightly better than most 'ok' novels is because I like the gimics and they power my imagination quite a bit more compared to other novels. (although his catchphrase gets boring reaaaally fast)

20. ZhaWarudo

ZhaWarudo TOKI WO TOMARE!!!

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think it's worth continuing, I dropped it at c79 which is past herb garden. If you do continue pls count the number of "Great Five Phase Yin Yan Secrets, Five phase yin yan" times used. I expect it to be over 9000

Okuri Ookami likes this.