Comments on Profile Post by archfear

1. Heyu
    Heyu
    Polls are now behind paywalls!
    May 24, 2017
  2. Archaic pickle
    Archaic pickle
    Trump said the Mexicans will pay for it.
    May 24, 2017
  3. archfear
    archfear
    Who in the staff sucks Yuewen's dick? NU is supposed to be neutral dammit.
    May 24, 2017
  4. Archaic pickle
    Archaic pickle
    They are neutral, the poll probably got lost when they merged the 10 other qidian threads... Slow yo roll son
    May 24, 2017
  5. ongoingwhy
    ongoingwhy
    While you were sleeping, Qidian made an announcement that they will implement advertisements and Patreon. Therefore, the raison d'etre of your poll disappeared. Maybe, that's why it's gone?
    May 24, 2017
  6. archfear
    archfear
    It was a poll to determine which percentage would pay
    May 24, 2017
  7. ongoingwhy
    ongoingwhy
    Yes, and there's no wall. How do you pay for a non-existent wall?
    May 24, 2017
    AMissingLinguist likes this.
  8. Westeller
    Westeller
    Dunno. Didn't merge it, personally. It was probably lost when it was merged into the big thread, though. Just something ya gotta accept when so many people are making threads on the same topic and many of them are being merged together.
    May 24, 2017
    AMissingLinguist, archfear and NovaCi like this.
  9. archfear
    archfear
    It wasn't lost whem it was merged.
    May 24, 2017
  10. archfear
    archfear
    They only said there would be ads but nothng explicit if it will be free.
    May 24, 2017
  11. Westeller
    Westeller
    "Lost" meaning removed. Usually when many threads are merged, polls end up removed in the end. Maybe because they no longer match the opening post of the thread, maybe because there are multiple polls and it's easier to remove them all than try and justify keeping one or another, etc, etc.
    May 24, 2017
  12. Westeller
    Westeller
    @ongoingwhy There is most likely going to be a paywall. I'm not just saying that because Ren said there would be, but also because it just makes sense for Qidian to use one. It's a business model they're familiar with and one that works. Expecting them to run off ad revenue and donations is actually pretty silly.
    May 24, 2017
  13. archfear
    archfear
    I see. Thanks. It was a shame it was removed though. Well, it served its purpose as a third-party feasibility study.
    May 24, 2017
  14. Westeller
    Westeller
    That said, the actual structure of said paywall and the price range is anyone's guess, though. It might be a mirror of their overseas paywall or it might be a little different. Either way, though, it'll be affordable as all hell. They won't be trying to cripple their readership - they'll be trying to have as many people reading, and paying, as possible.
    May 24, 2017
  15. archfear
    archfear
    If it were me ,I would ask for a cut of donations for sponsored chapters and encourage them to adjust the price per chapter as site as readers increase.
    May 24, 2017
    Westeller likes this.
  16. Heyu
    Heyu
    Didn't we read Yenpress stuff anyway? is just more inconvenient
    May 24, 2017
  17. ongoingwhy
    ongoingwhy
    @Westeller And how exactly would they implement that when the "fanbase" is perfectly alright to resort to piracy at any given time? Like @archfear has mentioned, it's likely that a percentage of the donations would be given to Qidian.
    May 24, 2017
  18. archfear
    archfear
    The problem with yenpress is that it wanted to go mainstream that and the deep-rooted belief of Japanese executives regarding print distribution is the wah to go.
    May 24, 2017
  19. Westeller
    Westeller
    @ongoingwhy Someone said earlier that a fairly massive portion of Qidian's readership in china pirates. Doesn't change the fact that they make a killing from people that don't pirate, or pirate some and pay some. ... To be honest, there really haven't been many (any?) cases where piracy has actually been proven to drive down revenue. In some cases, it's been proven to have the opposite affect.
    May 24, 2017
  20. Westeller
    Westeller
    Donations are much less reliable in terms of revenue than a fixed payment required per reader. At least, I think so. I might be proven wrong by numbers, but I'd be surprised. I'd also be surprised if Qidian truly decided to just gamble on it like that when they have a business model they already know works, and works tremendously well.

But hey, I'm all for being surprised.
    May 24, 2017
    Aiiee likes this.
  21. Heyu
    Heyu
    I guess the thing would be like, some people pay, some people who pay would pdf it on reddit, and we would be good to go, the cheaper the paywall, the more pirates would be who just copy the novels, so be at easy, you would soon be able to choose from a myriad of nonquidian related websites to read or get your favorite novel in diferent formats
    May 24, 2017
  22. ongoingwhy
    ongoingwhy
    @Westeller Isn't that because of the greater population over there though? With that many people, even a small percentage that pays would be enough.
    May 24, 2017
  23. Westeller
    Westeller
    @ongoingwhy For piracy, I was actually referring to studies on our side of the world. I have no idea about any studies on piracy conducted in china. It doesn't harm business HERE.
    May 24, 2017
  24. archfear
    archfear
    That and before ther of webnovels there was no widespread genre fiction available, paper was dominated by literary fiction
    May 24, 2017
  25. Westeller
    Westeller
    At least, not for the large scale companies, of which Qidian is one. For them, piracy can actually be beneficial. I wouldn't go so far as to say piracy wouldn't hurt an independant fan translator trying to live off donations. A single aggregator could totally cripple them.

... So it's a matter of scale.
    May 24, 2017
    kenar likes this.
  26. Nimroth
    Nimroth
    To be honest it is less a question if a paywall is a good business model and more about if the western/international webnovel community is ready for it.
    May 24, 2017