LCD A Will Eternal

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by strixflash, Apr 27, 2016.

1. thissisnate

thissisnate Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the feedback! You can actually change the font at the top to whichever font that makes your eyes happy right under the banner. (I didn't even know about this for like a month...)

To my knowledge, all of our names are as accurate they could be but if you remember which name was hard to read, please let us know so we can review and correct as necessary.

Haha, we have a joke that the more commas you use, the more profound everything becomes in xianxia. But realistically, the RAWs actually have that many commas/run on sentences and originally, we tried to make it as superfluous as possible in English by removing those commas and rearranging/adding things to make it flow better in English, but it ended up becoming one of the reasons why we were being accused of being liberal. Since receiving that feedback, we have been trying to keep the story as literal as possible, which results in things like passive vs. active voice and run on sentences. So right now, we actually are kind of teetering between the side of keeping the story as close to the way Er-Gen wrote it by using the same phrases, words, commas, etc, and the side of making it very easy for the readers to read. There are a lot of ISSTH fans out there that loves the way that Er-Gen writes and finding a balance is turning out to be quite difficult.

Please let us know which style would you prefer and any other things you see that we can improve on! Thanks again for the feedback, just posted it our in-house chat for everyone to reflect and improve on as we move forward.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
    Feinzell and archn3m29 like this.
  2. ddadain

ddadain Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know how Er Gen likes his commas (I'm semi-fluent in Chinese)... But by the simple merit of "translation", you guys shouldn't bind yourself to follow Chinese punctuations since it might work in Chinese, but not in English.

Besides, Chinese doesn't have the concept of "voice" so just decide on active voice since it is infinitely better as a narrative tool. Reserve the passive voice for those "oh so mysterious profound texts" or poems Er Gen likes to insert every now and then.

As for the naming... Seriously... Zhang Fatso One as opposed to Biggest Fatso Zhang (the number connotes hierarchy so I take the 'one' as superlative)... Which sounds awkward in English? The raw even agrees with latter's order. Also some translations just baffle me: Chapter 14 title clearly says 3rd bro? 3rd sis?... How did you get "Ninth bro it might be a trap"?! Scented vs Fragrant Cloud Mountain also irks me because 'scented' connotes "artifically fragrant" (i.e. scented candles) which is in direct opposition to the mountain's naturalness... Besides the character used here is the same one on rice packs of "fragrant jasmine rice" so I'm thoroughly against the use of Scented... Even if it's equivalent in Chinese...

Well, I can nitpick a lot... I even nitpick ISSTH so don't be bothered too much. Too much of a perfectionist.

3. H0RR1BL3CPU

H0RR1BL3CPU [Hotline to Shiroyukineko] [白酒鬼]

Reading List:
    Link
    did you look at the bottom of the page? the title we put up was joke

4. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So what im getting for all of this is to wait for XXT to start up again....

5. Parth37955

Parth37955 [Unavailable, go away] Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    they are working on it,

6. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    as in XXT? or XXW on their "issues"?

7. Parth37955

Parth37955 [Unavailable, go away] Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    XXT

8. strixflash

strixflash Dao Seeker!

Reading List:
    Link
    The humor in this novel is even better than ISSTH. The adventures of chicken thief were so exciting.

9. jackateonetoo

jackateonetoo Wet Dog

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been wondering about this for a while, s I finally decided to ask. what does this mean? :

"A Thought Through Eternity is a Xianxia novels, some original, some translated from Chinese. Themes of heroism, of valor, of ascending to Immortality, of combat, of magic, of Eastern mythology and legends. Updated with awesome new content daily. Come join us for a relaxing read that will take you to brave new worlds! A paradise for readers!"

It's at the bottom of every chapter of all their translations, but it says "Some Original", though they don't have any original novels. I don't get it. Anybody know why this is added? Are the putting up original novels too?

10. H0RR1BL3CPU

Reading List:
    Link
    Us editors and translators have no right to the site itself. Ask [email protected]

archn3m29 likes this.
  11. craBebe

craBebe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know right. Feels like Er Gen's focusing more on comedy this time around. Hope the humor level continues! ISSTH has its funny moments but it's not ever present. Really hoping Bai continues with his hilarious antics.

12. Notaborax

Notaborax 『Woeful One』『Poet』『Epi's & Azuka's Cat』

Reading List:
    Link
    this guy is such a massive troll...this novel is super funny, started it before but didnt really grab my attention but after i got past the first few chapters its pretty funny.

13. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, you can't accuse him of being reckless with his safety ;)
    I'm betting the jade by itself would have been more than enough though.

I wonder if Elder Li will punish him for being such a coward? ;)

14. H0RR1BL3CPU

Reading List:
    Link
    nah Li Qinghou won't do jackshit. In fact he'll just get amazed by Bai Xiaochun. In fact Bai Xiaochun will make all his opponents faint out of anger.He also draws a blank and skips 2 fights ending up in the finals with barely any fighting

15. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder how they'd judge a contest in which both contestants did nothing but defend? Would they disqualify them both? I know that's not what's happening here, I'm just curious.

I have a feeling that he'll somehow trick that guy into giving him his shield ;)

16. H0RR1BL3CPU

Reading List:
    Link
    so did we hit the cliff hanger spot right? the chapter is 8 pages so we had to cut it otherwise the release would be delayed even more

17. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    It looked fine to me. Standard cliff and all that.

18. strixflash

strixflash Dao Seeker!

Reading List:
    Link
    He still has that wooden sword which he refined multiple times. That sword could easily break the protection of that new guy.

19. Notaborax

Notaborax 『Woeful One』『Poet』『Epi's & Azuka's Cat』

Reading List:
    Link
    the new guy is proficient with his defense as well, but at the end of the chapter part 1 says he is going to start attacking with his fists. i mean if they both go on defense it is like that one episode in the first season of pokemon when the two metapods just used harden the entire time.
    nah i think he is going to go turtle mode the entire time...he does not like fighting because hes too scared of getting hurt

20. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I know, I'm just saying that if neither one of them attacked, then how would the Elder's rule? Would they call it a double loss and move on?