Resolved Add quick link to latest read/first unread chapter release

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by SinsI, Jan 9, 2017.

1. SinsI

SinsI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Then I open, say, http://www.novelupdates.com/series/world-of-cultivation/, in releases navigation I see options to go to "page 1, 2 , 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 33, next page" which point to, respectfully, pages 1-6, NOWHERE, page 33, page 2.

Currently, I've read that novel up to chapter 298, and I've marked it accordingly.
    But none of those movement options point to the page with that chapter - If I want to resume reading from that chapter, or from the next chapter, I have to manually look and click several times to get to the right page (13), or to re-visit that page from the reading list page.
    This is something that I do frequently, and for many novels, so it would be nice if navigating to that page was made faster and easier.

Thus, I'd like to request a feature - add additional navigation link,pointing directly to the page containing latest release I've marked as read or first unread release.

Some possible suitable locations for such a link - 1) after the normal navigation list, in the same line 2) next line after the navigation list 3) "..." option in the navigation list that currently doesn't point anywhere.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    Astaroth likes this.
  2. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
  3. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This button already exists on your reading list. For me, its a book shaped icon to the right of the series' name. I think that's the default, but I honestly don't remember.

4. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    But it doesn't actually take you to the novel page. Unless you read all the way to the latest chapter so you can click that "i've read all chapters" button then you would have to go to the novel page and check the latest chapter you read either way, no?

Unless I'm wrong here it's pretty useless if you stack up a lot of chapters and binge read volumes or arcs at a time.

5. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    Well... There are two icons on the right side of your list: [Book] and [Refresh].
    Clicking on the [Book] icon opens up a popup that shows you up to 4 oldest unread chapters. So in OP's case - World of Cultivation chapters 289, 290, 291, 292. Clicking on a chapter number in this popup takes you to the release.
    [Refresh] changes your reading status to the latest release. So don't click that unless you're actually up to date.

6. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    The thing is that it take me directly to the translation site instead of the Novel Update page, so I'll still have to go to the novel update page and checkbox which chapter I last read afterwards, unless I read all the way to the last translated chapter.

Basically you can only use this feature once, and if you don't reach the latest chapter then it's completely meaningless.

7. Ral

Reading List:
    Link
    What are you talking about? Your reading list has the same status as you see on the novel page.
    Clicking on the number under "My status" takes you to the latest chapter you've read/selected as read. And the Book icon to the right of it (well, after the "latest chapter" column) does exactly what I just said. It shows you links to read up to 4 next chapters.

Also, opening a link from the popup automatically updates your reading status to that chapter. So you don't have to manually update it on the novel's page.

8. SinsI

SinsI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What I want is the link "http://www.novelupdates.com/series/world-of-cultivation/?pg=13", and not http://www.novelupdates.com/extnu/178916/

9. Ral

Reading List:
    Link
  10. SinsI

SinsI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In addition to tracking chapters that Astaroth mentioned, it allows me to use NU's release list to navigate to next chapter - frequently, those links on translator's site are broken, so clicking "back" and selecting next release is the fastest and easiest way to reach them.

11. Ral

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]
    And what's wrong with these?

12. SinsI

SinsI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Those are useless if you need to navigate to 1135 (after finishing 1130-1134) and to mark 1130-1134 as "read" without marking 1135+.
    And they are accessed from a completely different part of the site - I like to re-read my review of the story to quickly remind myself what happened before.
    Plus, If I'm already on the novel description - I don't want to look for it again in the reading list, wasting my attention and clicks - it is more time spent on navigation and less time spent on reading.

13. Ral

Reading List:
    Link
    Clicking any of the links automatically updates your status to that chapter. Though, getting new chapters listed requires a page refresh. That is what they should improve.

But okay. Now you've explained why you go to the series' pages instead of reading list.
    Then again, isn't it easier to reach the novels you're following by going exactly to the reading list?
    How do you reach them? Do you randomly choose from the latest releases on homepage? Or do you actually use search every time? Either seems rather unorganized...
    Or do you use bookmarks? That would be weird if you follow many series.

Speaking of bookmark-ish type of stuff - why don't you try using https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/save-web-pages-later-pocket-firefox to keep track of "where you're at"? Or something similar (depending on what browser you're using).

14. SinsI

SinsI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's far more ways to reach the novel page than the reading list page - i.e. by following links people post in Recommendations.

15. noisypixy

noisypixy Sacatunn que pen, que summum que tun.

Reading List:
    Link
    User script
    [​IMG]

Link may die depending on my mood.

EDIT: @Nazgand is the maintainer now. See this post.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    Nazgand likes this.
  16. Nazgand

Nazgand New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you @noisypixy ! I have wanted this feature for a long time. All hail @noisypixy ! This will make reading novels easier.
    You are a better programmer than I. I knew about document.getElementById and similar functions, but did not know document.querySelector. My horizons have been broadened.

I just noticed a bug. After some testing, I have determined that the userscript only works for series in the main reading list. I am trying to fix it. I'm currently reading about Promises.
    I have determined that finding the page should be done with document.querySelector('input[checked="checked"]') , this will work without needing to scan the reading lists.

I fixed the bug and sent a pull request. Also, it occurred to me that the search method could be a binary search because there is a difference of colors in the chapters before the read chapter and the chapters after the read chapter. This should speed up the search in the longer series, such as ISSTH. Presently, there is a 24 second lag before the link appears on the ISSTH page for me.
    I just implemented binary search, reducing time on ISSTH to 3 seconds. I submitted a pull request.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  17. noisypixy

noisypixy Sacatunn que pen, que summum que tun.

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for your help, mate.

I didn't implement a binary search because I was only looking at the chapter "numbers", so it didn't occur to me to use row colors and the checkbox. It is indeed more effective.

Just merged your pull request and adapted the code to my style.

Btw, I'm making this just for fun, and I'll only be supporting it as long as it's interesting to me. If you or anyone wants to publish this code somewhere else, it's fine. In fact, I'd recommend to do so (as I said in my previous post, I may delete the file and/or repository sooner or later).

Nazgand likes this.
  18. Nazgand

Nazgand New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The possibility that you may delete it is more than enough reason to have my own copy of the repository on GitHub.
    Also, it occurs to me that another downside of the chapter "numbers" method is that if, for example, you started reading A Thought Through Eternity(at XianXiaWorld), and had marked c17, then the script would think that you want page 1 when you in fact want page 10.

Also, I must admit that if you didn't make the script in the first place, I would be far to lazy to make my own.

noisypixy likes this.