Considering Doing Subtitles

Discussion in 'TV/Movies Discussion' started by Wujigege, Aug 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I am considering doing subs and know it is a thankless job but it is more difficult to deal with piracy in subs compared to translations
    With a community making comments like the one below. I don't have much confidence
    Anyone with express with subs or who can point me to the right resource.
    I dreamt of doing a wiki styled fan sub site before viki came into existence
    so it has been a dream of mine for a pretty long time
    Well at least I didnt know of viki when I had the idea.. I am not that old haha

2. Not Red Yet

Not Red Yet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't tell if you are trying to start an argument or are actually trying to do subs.

Mangochic and reanox like this.
  3. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it is pretty obvious, it is in the title
    also it is not news
    I have talked about it before
    I started my translation site because I was pissed off by some elements of the community
    So starting a subtitle site out of spite is not a long shot haha

4. Spiritsong

Spiritsong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends on what's your end game. Your goal.

If your goal is ultimately money, this ain't going to work smelling like morning dew after a rain in sunshine. (as in easy peasy)

If your end goal is something else altogether, then there's a chance. But money? I won't hedge my bets on it.

5. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, my goal is not money. Been considering contacting the companies directly and adding subtitles to their official youtube channel videos like others have done. It will be nice to talk to someone with experience doing it.

My biggest worry is that I won't be able to grow the team if my work is credited to a pirate site.
    I won't have a portfolio to use to recruit more members

6. coveted

coveted Sexiest Banana Alive

Reading List:
    Link
    As someone experienced in making soft subs for films and marketing videos and adverts. Good luck and have a lot of patience. You will need them. Creating subs is really a pain in the neck. Literally.

7. reanox

reanox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I will just write this single comment, since you used gorlax's quote in your opener. Just to clarify, his comment was linked to QI translations (GT), which he, many others and I, won't support for the company is a huge pile of something I won't mention. If the company you want to sub for or whatever, follows a similar mindset and policy, you shouldnt be surprised or complain about piracy when people choose not to support that. If, however, that is not the case, then pirating anything you work for is of course not a particularly nice thing to do and it most likely won't happen to such a degree as compared to QI's.

8. Spiritsong

Spiritsong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My translating experiences don't enter into the "new media", unfortunately. However, I will offer some advices based on some observations.

Joining a group, or establishing one, requires a few things.
    1) how you pay your fellow translators (as in pay in cash, or no pay, or pay in terms of satisfaction, etc etc).

2) how can you offer a resume to people you work with (as in you manage their translations, and they also benefit from your translations, as a group. As in internally, not externally. Remember, those joining you also want to build up their portfolio. So benefit goes BOTH ways. In business, there are no permanent loyalties. There are only mutual benefits at-that-time-of-speaking. Alliances can be broken, squabbles can be washed away.

3) Never do something in payment (as in asking to be paid in pro). Because the moment it does, you're looking at money, and you'll want to go legit, etc. Lots of pain, lots of hassles. However, if your group's got the cred, you can work (albeit like a slave) akin to those translaves (translator slaves) happily chug down the money from Qi and patreon (you won't have patreon, unless you can milk the shit out of your fanbases) and still lie to the world that "its for everyone". But then again, that's if you're making it into a business. It depends on how aggressive you are.

4) Learn the laws. DMCA? Ligitation? Threats? copyrights? Fair use of materials? ETC. Never assume your task is just subbing. You want to do something, learn the ins and outs of the trade. Everything, from outside to the inside. Not just the means of accomplishing it. I sort of quit the industry because I knew I wouldn't cut it with only ability to speak 4 languages but only be able to read and write 2.

5) If you're in for the portfolio, do something fun. Portfolios are meant to convince your potential employers and partners. Having something diverse is fine. Having something strictly in one discipline is fine. But showing that you enjoy doing it? It means something entirely different to the potential employers (I just hope that they don't screw you). Passion for the job is something people appreciate, even if the capitalism world enslaves you while milks you of your content while they laugh to the bank. Still, at least, you can show that you enjoyed what you did.

6) Piracy and what not.... Its a difficult game. Unless you're licensed, people will do it anyway. That's why certain things happen like water marks, delayed releases, joining alliances like batoto (i'm not even sure if its the place to be now), etc. It IS beyond "i just want to sub, and do nothing else". A lot of work. But a good learning experience, especially if you're building a portfolio. It shows that you can manage a project, other than just "participate" in one.

zentetsuken, kaisersose and Wujigege like this.
  9. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Poor excuse. Every company is guilty of a crime or two
    Some even manslaughter.
    It is hypocrisy, just an excuse to pirate.

10. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks a Iot, this was what I was looking for.
    The goal is to build a portfolio and possibly get a contract with Crunchyroll and Dramafever in the future.
    Thanks again

11. reanox

reanox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm already going against what I just said above, but I really dont want your questionable statements to stay unanswered.. Of course it's not a poor excuse to pirate, since i openly and hiddenly support other peoples translations (through donations and disabled adblock should I think their work ethic and behaviour is appropriate and likeable (to me). And sadly, some are just the opposite, which is why I won't support. Either way, they won't make money off of me, but they won't lose any either since I wouldn't read on their site even if there weren't alternate sources. Maybe nearly every company is guilty of some crimes, but the majorness of these is whats important. I can forgive and forget some, some are just too stupid and enter a zone where I can't bring myself to support that.Theres no hypocrisy in that, and I'm sorry but if you still think there is I can't help the fact that you are plain wrong (of course only in my opinion ;) )

Just a short edit: You said your goal was not money, but you wish to enter the ranks of crunchyroll and co later on, which I assume is to earn money. of course you won't earn big time, but still just humbling yourself down like that and then still going for the majors financially is also a bit hypocritical imo.

12. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    While you at it, try to become game fantranslator too.......
    Help translating Tales of Radiant Mythology 3.

Wujigege likes this.
  13. gorlax

gorlax Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Piracy happpen.
    Now days fansub its hard to find its all about money if u do funsub without getting monetery there always a website to ripoff u work.
    And about go to pirate web to read the novel that move to qishit and gt that no biggie for translator they get pay already what u need more .
    scare get abandon when trafic low that a risk move to duch company i dont hate or dislike the translator but i dont like the host that all.

Ps: pure funs work nowdays i can say it will last mont top 1 year i u will have enough of shit ppl ripoff u work

14. kaisersose

kaisersose Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    lol reading this topic i remembered when my pc literally exploded while trying to encode an anime episode

sorry for the off topic

15. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Earning money from my work is not hypocritical.
    Also working for a company is not humbling myself, I don't know what sort of reality you guys live.

@gorlax Pure fan translating does not work, because the company will DMCA the series sooner or later. It is too short sighted
    That is why I like how companies are allowing fan translators to sub legally via things like viki.com and their official youtube channels
    Even charities need funds or they die

16. gorlax

gorlax Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Its not fans anymore if u join them.

17. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Suit yourself. I am grateful for the fans who joined them like dramabeans, without them dramafever might not have existed

18. reanox

reanox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nono, you misunderstood me. Everyone wants to earn money after all, theres nothing bad in that. What I don't like seeing is people going all 'oh man you know I don't even want to earn money I'm just doing it for fun' and humbling themselves down that way, even though their goal is to make a living off of it or something. Just say that you are in for it for the money like everyone else.

19. gorlax

gorlax Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    just mske a sub and upload to subscene.com
    If a fans for fans why botner ppl rip u off they fsns too
    Or u just dont like the feeling ppl make money from u work if that the case dont talk about fan work since begining

20. gorlax

gorlax Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes that true just join a company and make a living out of it.
    But please dont say fans translation
    Its ajob not a hobby anymore cause u need make money like u say nothing free .
    That why fans translation is no more or so rare nowdays.
    Ppl just say fans trsnlation but still hoping extra money come on get real.
    Ppl can donate to u but that just it to cover internet and not much u still need another job to mske money.
    I think u dont know the meaning of fans tranlation