Discussion Difficulty choosing plot direction in my xianxia novel, plz halp!

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by AardwarkThe2nd, Jan 10, 2017.

?

Best plot direction

1. 1) No rewrite

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. 2) Church

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. 3) Destruction of the Dao

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AardwarkThe2nd

AardwarkThe2nd (R-18 writer) Aardwark, the king of aardvarks!

Reading List:
    Link
    If anyone cares, I am writing a post-apocalypse xianxia
    [World Transcending Dragon Paragon]
    here:

http://royalroadl.com/fiction/chapter/110867

It is a fanfic based on Swallowed Star.

I want to rewrite because I might be turning away readers who don't read Swallowed Star.

But now, I have difficulty in choosing the correct plot direction. Please help!

The 'canon' Swallowed Star Earth is explored in greater detail.
    Ancient alien cultivation with sci-fi terms. A yandere heroine. And the antagonists are... alien invaders!

The world has distinct Christian themes. The cultivation levels are about sanctifying the body, cultivators fly on crosses and vampires are antagonists.
    The major plot is about 'Karma'. Elements of the Book of Relevation like the Antichrist, the return of Jesus Christ and the Whore of Babylon will be here.

The apocalypse ends with the old Dao falling apart and a new Dao rising. There is focus on creating new techniques, the cultivation levels are vague. Otherworldly cultivators from a world with a True Dao are the antagonists.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  2. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    2 terrible, please don't
    3 the idea of dao falling is good, but no new dao, make it like, Dao is falling so no more life is created (this include food, and qi for absorption etc) so the MC (and everyone) to survive has to reach an high enough level and go to an higher plane before all all resources are used, I advice you to make it like the MC absorves qi from killing

3. keklel

keklel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you should make it independent from Swallowed Star so that readers don't have to have read Swallowed Star to understand your plot settings backgrounds etc.

For example in the first chapter you mentioned "HR alliance" but never expanded the acronym. In any novel I think you should start off with what the audience is familiar with (e.g an everyman's life) and then steadily add in the elements that are new otherwise there will be too much of a shock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.