Discussion Do you still like game novels

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by MH2, Jul 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MH2

MH2 [Former Child]

Reading List:
    Link
    For a while I started to avoid novels with game elements because I read so much of this genre
    Don't get me wrong, the first novel I read that had game elements( I think death march), I got addicted reading it, but I dropped at volume 15 cuz the novel isn't so good
    I still liked the genre, but after reading like 20 novels that are similar(more like copies), it just became boring and repetitive
    Now I am asking ppl who have been here a while, do you still like this genre? Or have grown tired of it?

2. scribbledoutname

scribbledoutname Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I absolutely love them but I'm sick of the crappy web novels people keep releasing. Fortunately there's still good stuff like Main Character Hides His Strength.

3. Danis

Danis {(Harem Sect Leader)}{Trickster}&{Lurker}

Reading List:
    Link
    as long there harem i will like it :)

4. asomeCokkies

asomeCokkies [Eternal Quest for Epubs]

Reading List:
    Link
    I could quote this all day
    MY-EXACT-WORDS

scribbledoutname likes this.
  5. campfire

campfire Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If someone alter 'Invincible Dragon' to have harem as an additional genre. Will you still like it?

6. zenla

zenla { Totally human being} {Kingdom building fanatic}

Reading List:
    Link
    Why just game elements go LITRPG! But I guess we are all humans and as humans we all seek something new and fresh. It is normal to be bored of some genre after a while but of course coming back to it when it feels fresh again is normal too.

7. douchi

douchi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just as it is with the reincarnation genre, the sub-genres differs a lot from each other, and not to forget, the differences in quality. So for me, of the game elements stories there aren't even 20 novels I consider reading further translated.
    Same thing with originals. There are only three novels on RR that I liked. I think, only one of them uses game elements. At the same time, for others it's a treasure trove of the litrpg genre.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  8. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    I like reading them despite how many I've read. Yes they follow the same genre but it's nice to see the different ways the writers implement the game system style~

9. Jr77

Jr77 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends if it's well executed. I personally don't really have a problem with it as long as the plot stays intersting to me. I also tend to skim through the whole "status" screen trope when it starts getting ridiculously long(you know what I'm talking about).

10. scribbledoutname

scribbledoutname Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not actually the genre itself, it's just that there are too many bad writers... if you take out the game elements and compare most of these stories to normal stories, you'll realise that they're just plain worse. IMO it's because so many authors think that adding wish fulfilment in the form of game elements automatically makes it a good web novel but it doesn't. You still need an actual enjoyable story to carry it all.

Imagine if Kishimoto threw out Naruto's storyline / cast and replaced them with Naruto training random jutsus, occasionally killing random no-name ninjas, buying food to eat at the market and patting Hinata's head. Some bits might keep your attention for the first few chapters but after that you'd get sick of it. That's EXACTLY what's going on with most LitRPGs / Game Element stories :cry:

zenla likes this.
  11. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll still read them because anything that has some popularity is likely to be built with some interesting ideas. Unfortunately, interesting ideas are often the only draw with these books so it's all too easy to lose interest in them. This tends to happen even with books that start off promisingly, so I've mostly switched to history novels.

Hear, hear! Too many books seem to be written by people who seem to have no idea how to write creative fiction. The dead giveaways for this are super short paragraphs, dialogue without connective text, and a lack of description of settings and characters. The lack of detail in these books drain away a lot of the flavor that's expected in creative writing, and it makes the books entirely dependent on interesting ideas to maintain interest (as opposed to characterization, writing style, etc.)

12. syc

syc [ 空白 ]

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought you meant novels about people playing games lol.

I like novels with game elements because it allows me to clearly see the characters strengths, abilities, and growth. I would argue that many cultivation novels have game like elements because they have levels (realms) and skills.

As for novels of people playing video games, try Peerless White Emperor. I find it's pretty fresh for the genre. (Shameless self advertising)

13. zenla

zenla { Totally human being} {Kingdom building fanatic}

Reading List:
    Link
    It is not often they are bad authors they are just copy cat type. The type that checks whatever made a hit with original and copies it to his novel. But yeah seeing the same stuff over and over makes you think it is a bad author... more like you read too many copies of original story.

scribbledoutname likes this.
  14. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Never really been a fan of game elements although that doesn't mean I can't enjoy a story with them, just in those cases I tend to like the story despite the game elements rather than because of them.

15. BlazeKing

BlazeKing Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just read them because of the skills the mc gets.
    I like this too because it shows how op the mc is compared to everyone else.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    syc likes this.
  16. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In my opinion, if you can only use other people's ideas, you're not a very good writer. If you're going to steal, you should at least do so in an interesting way. The other side of this is that these writers often are pretty bad.

zenla likes this.
  17. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    is that element important?
    I put lil to none attention for that~

18. Danis

Danis {(Harem Sect Leader)}{Trickster}&{Lurker}

Reading List:
    Link
    you know what i read that novel once..................
    hp.gif

19. Risus

Risus ✵ Enigmatic Poet ✵ Tiger ✵ Reese's ✵

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup, though more critical. Before I could probably let things slide and just enjoy the novelty of it, but now I find myself sort of subconsciously picking at those things instead

20. Night Ghost

Night Ghost Well-Known Ghost Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't care if it's isekai, game elements or xianxia/xuanhuan as long as it has a good story, I will read it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.