Discussion Does a Protagonist need to poop?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Rreelentless, Feb 23, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raizhee

Raizhee who

Reading List:
    Link
    I read this thread name and i was like what the heck is going on , seriously wow...
    There are some that do those kind of human needs and there are some that don't , either way idc

2. Fairy-chan

Fairy-chan 『Appreciates Cuteness』

Reading List:
    Link
    I do not believe it is necessary to see the protagonist do mundane things so as to sympathize with them or to believe them to be "real".

Immersion is something that depends solely on the reader, if one wishes to immerse themselves on the story, even constant 4th wall breaks to not remove you from it.

Trying to show that the character is also human and flawed, and that they need to do things every human does can be interesting in itself if well explored, but there is no need for it, it's just another aspect that can be used to develop the character of a novel.

3. TSLives

TSLives Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't understand why some people read fantasy novels if they want realism

4. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Fantasy as a genre only means that there is some differences from reality, doesn't mean that everything is different and the vast majority of fantasy still keep some realism no matter if the reader realizes it or not.
    In fact a story with no realism at all would be like staring Cthulhu in the eye, it would be far from an enjoyable experience.

Raobihr and Fairy-chan like this.
  5. Pretender

Pretender <{Vanquisher}> {(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻}

Reading List:
    Link
    Speaking of which, nowadays some hentais with pooping as the main act are becoming really common. Are you the one responsible for this, OP? Lol.

6. Fairy-chan

Fairy-chan 『Appreciates Cuteness』

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with Nimroth's point, fantasy stories are the ones I appreciate the most, and I do enjoy them a lot more if there is some realism in it.

Just because magic exists in the universe, it does not mean things have to be completely illogical, realism is one of the many points that differ a good novel from an excellent novel.

Nimroth and Raobihr like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.