Dr. Strange

Discussion in 'TV/Movies Discussion' started by Ninth Mountain, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Ninth Mountain

Ninth Mountain Bezgranichnyy

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm wondering something about time magic.

Let's say you're hungry, you go to your fridge and find an apple, you eat it til the core is left. Then you use time magic to restore it back. I'm wondering if you use time magic on an eaten apple. Will the eaten apple that is inside your stomach disappear too and go back to the state of being uneaten?

2. LordCorwin

LordCorwin Supreme Book Lord; Leader of the Fiction Faction

Reading List:
    Link
    Not if you're only affecting a small localized area. You're returning the apple to a state of being uneaten. Presumably energy is used to reconstitute the missing portion. Now were you to affect a larger area including for example the region of your stomach, then I would assume that it would take those portions of apple from within your body and return them to the portion of the apple you are trying to restore.

Of course there is also the idea that without specific effort, magic cannot penetrate the body without first breaking the barrier of energy that naturally surrounds it. And for a practitioner, that field would be magnitudes stronger, preventing them from being personally being affected, only their location would be changed, unless the barrier was already broken, for example by a state of death.

3. Chamber

Chamber Mecha Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    My hypothesis is that it differs according to how the mechanisms behind time magic works.
    If it reverses time of 'a certain region of space', you end up with two apples, 'reversing time' means that the apple is now on a different time continuum (parallel world), and will have a different flow of events for that specific apple.

If it reverses the time of 'a certain object', well, define 'object', if it's molecules, time reversal simply won't happen. How does the magic recognize the apple as 'one object'?

4. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    It was kinda explained in agents of shield. (darkhold. the book from other dimension). creating anything in one place depletes those materials from somewhere else. meaning some other apple somewhere died

Lonelycity and Ninth Mountain like this.
  5. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    According to the movie?

Turning back the time wont effect the mass that has been dissolved. Why? When he took a glimpse of the torn book, his enemy didnt lose the page.

If its for real?

It probably would return. Coz there is no way for an item to be on 2 places at one time, which would include the cells on the apples.

Ninth Mountain likes this.
  6. -Timewaster-

-Timewaster- Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Y'all went to classes on the Dao of space-time

7. nicostrato

nicostrato Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel like if it did not disappear from you stomach, it would be reconstruction not rewinding of time. If the change to the apple is undone then the produce of the change, ie. The eaten apple must also be undone thus making it like you never ate the apple. In the Dr. Strange movie he moves the apple's time forward and it starts to appear like it is eaten, however logically speaking, that is under the assumption that the apple is eaten in the future. It does not just decompose. If it was left alone and time passed, it would decompose, not be eaten, thus there is nothing in the stomach at all so nothing can disappear.

8. nicostrato

Reading List:
    Link
    And yes we did

9. Rizase

Rizase Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Time can be simple and complicated at the same time. From what I know, changing the past will change the present. If you want to reverse the time of something you better reverse everything else in existence with it. So yes, the apple will become uneaten.

Well if you only reverse or change the time of a space area though, then that space will cease to exist in this time line. You won't even be able to observe it, much less touching it. Like looking at a black hole, with gravitational force so strong capable of bending time itself.

10. nicostrato

Reading List:
    Link
    Best not too think too deeply or risk going insane.... Oh wait, I already am.

11. Ninth Mountain

Reading List:
    Link
    Then how about when you cut out a small bit of a corner of a 5 dollar bill. Then you use time magic on the little piece of cut corner, would i generate a whole new piece of bill or will it just connect to the original?

12. Miri-Bell

Miri-Bell Semi-crazy Magic Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    O_O This reminds me of a discussion I had once on the flow of time and whether it was branching or looping.

Lonelycity likes this.
  13. Ninth Mountain

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess it would be reconstruction. But isn't reconstruction technically something like time magic?

14. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If there's a "re-", I think it does have something to do with time magic.

15. Glaurung

Glaurung Long Member

Reading List:
    Link
    applying logic to something that defies logic?

good luck with that.

Ninth Mountain and Lonelycity like this.
  16. Lonelycity

Lonelycity Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A really thought provoking debate.. what happens to the apple which we ate after we apply time magic?

17. DJdragone

DJdragone Commander of Food/Gav's Right hand Bun/leg lord

Reading List:
    Link
    These explanations are way to detailed o.0

18. nicostrato

Reading List:
    Link
    I can reconstructed a broke bridge but in the end it is a mended bridge not the original bridge. Probably not the best analogy but it is what i can think of.

19. SenjiQ

SenjiQ [Wise, for a Bird]

Reading List:
    Link
    Any method that removes the apple from your body would likely also rewind your memory of eating the apple, make the event as if it never happened. Therefore if you remain unaffected rewinding would either have to generate new apple, distort time so that the apple was always eaten, or things that you have interacted with are also not effected by the reversal

20. corvax

corvax Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's turning time back so the Apple would be removed from your stomach and you would be in the same state as you started