Question How do you guys copy & paste from qidian when translating?

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by nacochip, Mar 27, 2017.

1. nacochip

nacochip Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When translating there are times where I need to copy and paste certain words/terms from the raws for me to look them up online.

Qidian has some anti copy & paste scripts in place that I've been able to get around by just converting the entire chapter to pdf format. But this obviously only works on the free releases as paid ones require you to log in. I don't think there's any converters that allow you to provide login details for the site you're converting so this won't fly.

So how do you guys look up words you aren't sure about/get around this restriction when translating on Qidian? I'd really like to know :D

2. Drakaos

Drakaos Member (Patriarch?) of the Anti-Qidian Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    Look at the source code and copy it from there. On windows, just press Control+U

nacochip likes this.
  3. MadHatter

MadHatter [WindyWeather]

Reading List:
    Link
    If you use google chrome as your browser, you can install an app that allow you to copy the content from a page which have anti-copy measured protecting it. There exist different apps available, so far I have tried two of them, but "Seo Enable Copy" is the best of the two.

DeathStroke96 and nacochip like this.
  4. Danis

Danis {(Harem Sect Leader)}{Trickster}&{Lurker}

Reading List:
    Link
    dont be lazy and just do it manual your reason is so .................................. !!!

5. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not a translator, but if qidian is troublesome, why wouldn't they use one of many pirate sites? It's not like munpia for KR novels which is the only one and is protected, nor like syosetsu for JP novels which is free to copy.

6. valdesaga

valdesaga [IDN] [7thMay] [V]aldes

Reading List:
    Link
    By phone just use uc browser lol

7. nacochip

Reading List:
    Link
    Just tried out SEO enable copy and its fantastic, thank you! I tried using another extension called allow copy previously and it was pretty half baked. It only let me right click.

While I'm at it can anyone help me out for the translation for this line? Its part of a character profile page for a character named Ye Lian. I'd post the entire picture but new member limitations lol...

"个人宣言: 我...我是叶恋,我位呆萌带...带盐"

In english it looks like it'd be: "Character declaration: I'm...I'm Ye Lian, (some nonsense)"

I think 呆萌带 looks like a character's name because on its own it does't make any sense at all. But I've looked at some of the future pages of the raws I'm reading and I cant find any mention of such a name.

带盐 looks like a typo and the author probably meant that she's acting as someone's representative.

Any thoughts?

8. MadHatter

MadHatter [WindyWeather]

Reading List:
    Link
    You're welcome. I was also using "Allow Copy" previously, but it only work half of the time, not really effective. So far "Seo" has been working wonders for me. A note about "Seo", it's possible there's a time limit in using the add-on, a time limit for it to be effective. If you activate the app, and go off from your computer doing something else for x period of time, the page anti-piracy will re-trigger again. Simply click on the "Seo" add-on sign on your browser bar, to turn it off then turn it on again.

nacochip likes this.
  9. nacochip

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the heads up! Also I tried out what @Drakaos said and it works pretty well too. Only I'm not sure if that will work for the paid chapters.
    Its a huge cluster if you just copy paste it like that for reference, but if you put it on a html previewer it comes out nice and clean. Its a good alternative method.

10. douchi

douchi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are several ways but the easiest is to install an addon for your browser, just search for "copy text" or just "copy" on the respective site.
    For instance both Firefox and Chrome have a "Copy Text without Selecting" addon. With that installed you just right-click either on a specific paragraph or a empty space of the field you'd like to copy all text from.

a) When you have access to qidian why use pirated content.
    b) on Chinese sites, the text is quite often censored, faulty or manipulated. Worst case, there is no single clean version available.

Maybe a play on words with 我为人人,人人为我 (one for all, all for one)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  11. purplenails

purplenails Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Erm... I copy the title, google, download the whole eBook-EPUB for free from other website...

12. gaianova

gaianova Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    带盐 -> 代言
    呆萌 -> This is a little harder. It refers to people who are cute in the hazy way.
    I am the mascot of cuteness. (Anyway, something like this)
    It is more of a play on words.
    E.g. 有木有,操, etc, sometimes they use homophones.
    If you have read IRAS, during the advertisement, he did the same thing as well. 'I am serving as my own mascot' (ok, mascot is not a good word here) and he swallowed a packet of salt. Yepp, the exact same thing.