How to lower GPU temp when playing games 7YO laptop

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by RizYun, Feb 11, 2017.

1. RizYun

RizYun #Kaffee4Laifu

Reading List:
    Link
    well, as the title say please help me on this quite serious problem.
    the spec of my old laptop is here
    im using win 10 running on 4GB ram. this week alone i already got twice bluescreen when watching movie and while light playing game. but when playing a quite heavy game such as War of Tank, when my GPU rises way too high, my laptop shutdown itself.

BTW, all my games were installed in Drive E, which is 1/3 of whole drive's. 1/3 is my other document and entertaiment, and the rest of drive is empty. while in Drive C only consist of important program and it's just take 60% of it, and the rest is empty. drive D is total empty.

2. DesuDiem

DesuDiem Surviving College

Reading List:
    Link
    My recommendation as a Gamer is to let your old laptop die make a backup of the importan files and change to a one with more ram.

3. Greedyspree

Greedyspree 『Exile within the back room』

Reading List:
    Link
    First get rid of windows 10 and go back to xp or w7 at max. Newer editions add nothing but gloss, in return they eat more of your computers performance. There is no reason to update if you want better performance. Second, make sure its on a flat surface, if possible buy a small stand, one with a fan system would be semi helpful, but all told you wont get many games at decent settings on a laptop.

-Edit- Adding on basic maintenance.
    Update Drivers
    Defrag Harddrive
    Run Disk Cleanup
    Basic antivirus/malware if you have them.
    These will give you some basic performance help, but honestly if its an overheat issue you need to sacrifice the gloss, clean it, and make sure its on a proper surface.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    zeus likes this.
  4. NoTofu

NoTofu [Lord Third's less meaty Cousin] [Tofu Jelly]

Reading List:
    Link
    Update your drivers, don't run browsers or other apps when playing games, buy a cooling fan pad or if you're too poor use an ice pack or frozen hotdogs(im not kidding)

5. FallenLife

FallenLife Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    4GB ram is bad if your going to be playing such games
    if you want to play such games get a desktop with like 8GB ram

6. Nyanko

Nyanko Psychotic Cat Princess

Reading List:
    Link
    Buy a new one is the only real way to fix your overheating problem. Its a laptop after all; its really difficult to modify those

7. Mordreth

Mordreth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It needs to have the internals cleaned. Additionally that model may not be appropriate to run windows 10.

8. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    buy new laptop.....it's the best i can think....or if realy can't afford it, i suggest to change IOS to older windows or to change to ubuntu...since Win 10 doesn't fit your laptop....

9. Nordic

Nordic The Lazy Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    You could underclock the GPU if GPU overheat is causing the problem, usually CPU overheat is cause of shut down though. I don't think there is much to do besides turning down graphics settings and checking that the fans are spinning at max. I don't think you can expect that many games to work on that old of a PC. For a PC that GPU won't be able to handle pretty much any modern game with 256Mb ddr3 memory on the GPU almost all games are 512Mb min nowadays.

10. FallenLife

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't expect that laptop to last if you continue with those games.

AkeShiro likes this.
  11. Haevrus

Haevrus No.1 Incognito Webuser

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow. A laptop with 256 mb of GPU is being called a gaming laptop *coughs blood. I will recommend downgrading your laptop back to win 7 , as its more stable,performance saver with less graphics (* yep, its the next xp). Take a extra cooler pad. It will help a bit. Don't use your laptop much. Upgrade your nvidia driver. Also download fusion. That's it.

Nyarlathotep likes this.
  12. Pleasantly-plump

Pleasantly-plump Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A cold room maybe.....that helped me with my desktop

AkeShiro likes this.
  13. Turbe

Turbe Novel Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    Laptops will accumulate dust over its lifecycle. Take off all the covers and parts and clean out the dust. Mostly to where the fans are you will probably find a pocket of dust. Please use a guide for the laptop to not be in a position to not be able to put it back together.

Now a real recommendation would be to get a new laptop. Laptops have half the lifecycle then workstations and this one is pretty old.

SinsI and Mlaser like this.
  14. evilbaam

evilbaam Fat Sweaty Book Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    I am not sure how old your laptop is, but CPUs get slower over time because of dust build-up on the heatsink, and because the lower-quality thermal paste that prebuilt computers are often shipped with will degrade or evaporate. These effects cause the CPU to overheat, at which point it will throttle its speed to prevent damage.

Mlaser likes this.
  15. lenyek_penyek

lenyek_penyek Badass Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm using a 7yo laptop too.

Have you been doing maintenance for it? At least go and get the CPU and GPU thermal paste replaced. Open up and clean some dust. Don't cover the air intake holes at the bottom when using it.

And if you're like me living in a hot and humid climate, play it in an air-conditioned environment. or at least under a fan.

I mostly use it for other things now, not gaming since its just too outdated/weak for it, playing on low settings for everything doesn't feel nice. So yea, time to get a new one mate. Or maybe get a PC so you can upgrade it later on for a bit of future-proof. AMD will be launching Ryzen CPU, might want to take a look at that, tech reviews are quite hyped for it.

Mlaser likes this.
  16. FallenLife

Reading List:
    Link
    In the title they said the laptop is 7 years old.

17. cooldook

cooldook Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    take it apart and attack it with a can of air to blow out all of the dust and crud that is inside it. I once pulled a wad of dust and dog hair that looked like a dead grey squirrel pelt from my gpu. get a cooling pad or just play on a slightly raised surface to improve air flow to the vents. lower the setting in the game your playing.

18. Akken

Akken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you are adamant about keeping the current laptop then try opening it up and cleaning out your vents if you've never done so. Removing all the gunk and improving air flow is important. Beyond that if you are open to spending money but not buying a new laptop then invest in an external fan or some sort of stand that raises the laptop away from the surface you're playing on. Again this is to improve airflow and allow the hotter air to escape more easily.

19. starwarscards

starwarscards Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Labor intensive but try opening it up and reapplying the thermal paste. Did it with a friend's laptop for him and it helped a lot. (Cleaning it up as we opened it did too ;))

20. chillo

chillo NUF BioTerrorist

Reading List:
    Link
    get some money and buy a new one. 4gb ram is killing you to play games this days.