How to lower GPU temp when playing games 7YO laptop

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by RizYun, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Nydestroyer

Nydestroyer Special Name.

Reading List:
    Link
    While I agree with almost all of your points in this post, I would like to point out the memory management technology of later windows versions is quite crazy. The max amount of ram on current windows versions is insanely high (This is literally the only good thing I think about newer windows versions like 10 x64. While there is almost no reason to even have ram all the way up to 2TB anyway its still damn impressive compared to windows 7's 192GB max)

DesuDiem and Greedyspree like this.
  2. RR Vocaloid

RR Vocaloid RoyalRoad.com Slepragt

Reading List:
    Link
    Couldn't he just download more RAM?

3. Greedyspree

Greedyspree 『Exile within the back room』

Reading List:
    Link
    While it increases the total amount you can have, it utilizes more for its basic functions. If we are talking pure power at true high end then I agree, but when you are lacking ram, and can not upgrade it, it is not useful just wastes what little you have.

4. DesuDiem

DesuDiem Surviving College

Reading List:
    Link
    You know what ram is it right???

5. rnailo

rnailo Titel ?oh title, I haz none!

Reading List:
    Link
    I have seen couple of models in recent years that have the issue of overheating, its those few that have standard laptop casing but they are using high end CPUs and GPUs... and simply that standard laptop setup wont cool it.

6. rnailo

Reading List:
    Link
    as it was mentioned above... I just wanted to say that while total ram you can have is 2TB on the same windows minimum ram required to run windows normally would be 8gb i think where as win 7 64 was 2gb and if you switch to 32 its even less

7. RR Vocaloid

RR Vocaloid RoyalRoad.com Slepragt

Reading List:
    Link
    Look up "How to download RAM" on google. It's a joke.

DesuDiem likes this.
  8. DesuDiem

DesuDiem Surviving College

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol I remember those joke videos of how to triple your internet speed.

9. Nydestroyer

Nydestroyer Special Name.

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand this, I was just pointing out a positive with current windows direction. And even though they have a max of 2TB most motherboards(non-server) only support up to 128GB(Thus windows 7 Professional 64 bit works just fine). BUTTT even further so since the max RAM on x64 Red Hat linux is about 128TB its ultimately not thaaaattt impressive.

rnailo likes this.
  10. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    First of all, does the laptop fan even run? Yeah, sounds like a stupid question, but my old laptop's fan stopped running and can't even be detected by the bios anymore. To fix this, you just need to change the fan. Unfortunately, my old laptop was an Acer, and Acer's design suck. To change my fan, I would have to dismantle, the monitor, the motherboard and pretty much everything in the laptop. The fan is like the last item that could be removed. Which is stupid, because fan is quite often, one of the first thing to fail in a laptop. And the air vent is usually the first think you want to maintain. Acer's design make the most common maintenance difficult and annoying.

Second, check the temperature of your laptop. Is the base temperature when you're not doing anything and it's just sitting there is higher than it should be? While it may be due to the climate, it is quite likely that your laptop doesn't have good air circulation. Invest in a cooling pad or one of those vacuum coolers or if you want to go overboard, turn on your air conditioning.

Third, try playing at the lowest possible graphics settings. If it's still not working, sucks to be you.

Futa, if your fan still works and you already have a cooling pad, you may want to underclock your CPU. GPU is not the only thing that raise temperature. I'm not sure if you can underclock your GPU (back in my day, nobody bothered to underclock GPU, so I wouldn't know) but if you can, try it.

Or if you have multiple problems with your laptop, the cheapest method would be to take out the malfunctioning fan, put your laptop on cooling pad, attach a vacuum cooler at the exhaust pipe and get a really strong fan to blow on your keyboard. Always work.

11. Truerror

Truerror Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not true. I have a laptop that started out with Win7, then upgraded to Win8, then Win8.1, and currently Win10. Memory usage is pretty similar across all four. That is, with all the bells and whistles installed (updates and all) idle memory usage is about 40-50%. So Win10 doesn't take significantly more memory than Win7. And you definitely don't need 8gb to run 64-bit Windows normally. I have 4gb, and I can run two different browsers side-by-side with a lot of tabs open, and still have enough juice to play music or video- even older games.

That said though, while my laptop is almost 5 years old, it's certainly newer than the OP's laptop. I don't think it's advisable to run any heavy games on it. Also, like many people here suggest, clean your laptop regularly. The insides, that is. If you can't do it yourself, then go to a PC service center. They won't charge you much. Clogged up ventilation is the primary cause of overheating, especially in a smaller form-factor PCs like a laptop. Think of it as a routine health checkup.

12. rnailo

Reading List:
    Link
    having idle memory usage as 40-50% is already bad in itself that means for games you are left with 50% which is 2gb and for most its not enough... best case scenario would be idle memory usage at 5-10%

13. Truerror

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh, not really. Most of that is because the OS caches things to speed up your system. If any other processes need more memory, the OS would just drop some of the cached things and hand over the freed memory. Pretty much all modern OS do this.

14. rnailo

Reading List:
    Link
    but this droping cached things to free memory is already a small time lag .. its best if os would not need to drop cached thinges... I mean who wouldnt alt tab back to os while playing .. or watching a movie .. it makes those instances lag a bit

What I want to say is that while it is manageable with how you say ... it is not perfect either.

15. Truerror

Reading List:
    Link
    No, it's not perfect. But it works. To give you an example, I'm currently replaying Fallout 3. It's an old game, came out in 2008, so it's not that heavy. Now, when playing a famous RPG franchise like Fallout, I have a tendency to keep my browser open in the background, because from time to time I'd check on certain characters, locations, or quests, in Fallout's wiki. Needless to say, I often end up with more than 10 tabs open at a time. And I Alt-Tab quite often. Of course, sometimes I'd feel a slight lag when Alt-tabbing, but do it often enough, and the lag disappears.

So as far as the OP's question is concerned, I'd say it is very unlikely that his/her system overheats because the hardware can't handle the OS. It's most probably caused by another factor. Fan not working properly, or clogged ventilation, or dried up thermal paste. The crashes too could be caused by driver failures (in fact, most crashes are nowadays), in which case, simply changing the driver would suffice. Downgrading to Win7 or upping the memory is too hasty, IMO. Both cost more money than a simple cleanup and might not solve the problem.

16. rnailo

Reading List:
    Link
    Well thats true, and I was never for the option that op should upgrade memory, that is not a solution to op's problem.. but if possible downgrading is valid option as it would lower system resource consumption on idle, which in turn means less temp on idle which would mean less possibilities in overheating. In the end I agree .. most likely thing here is just not applying thermal paste often enough and neglecting to clean fans often enough.