Discussion How to make a good OP MC story?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Cosmic_, Sep 22, 2017.

?

What makes a good OP novel story for you?

1. Lots of faceslapping

20 vote(s)
    17.4%
  2. The MC having a versatile array of skills

32 vote(s)
    27.8%
  3. Good character interactions

71 vote(s)
    61.7%
  4. A likable/cool MC

52 vote(s)
    45.2%
  5. Lot's of harem collecting

13 vote(s)
    11.3%
  6. MC showing how he has the most OP of OP skills openly

17 vote(s)
    14.8%
  7. Good plot or story

77 vote(s)
    67.0%
  8. Hiding Powers causing funny underestimating by mob characters

25 vote(s)
    21.7%
  9. I don't like any OP MC stories

5 vote(s)
    4.3%
  10. I am an OP MC.

22 vote(s)
    19.1%
  11. Carefree MC and worryfree-ness of story

25 vote(s)
    21.7%
  12. Good worldbuilding

71 vote(s)
    61.7%
  13. Place holder for any more to be added

12 vote(s)
    10.4%
  14. cool-headed/intelligent/irregular MC

22 vote(s)
    19.1%
  15. Slice of Life

8 vote(s)
    7.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    One of my favorite types of novels to read is one with an OP MC. A lot of times though, the stories rarely remain good and fall into being bad or lackluster. It's not the OP-ness that makes a story go bad. It's usually what the OP-ness makes the writer neglect. They might fall into the double doom of a harem genre and OP MC genre that makes the story a repetitive save girl/shows off OP-ness and +1 to harem. Other times it's the obvious cliches like with the arrogant young master mob characters that make the story predictable or the story falling into a wish-fulfilling fantasy for the author him/herself that forget's that it's a novel meant to engage readers, not an outlet for their desires.

Boring characters, especially a boring or generic MC is to blame since the only thing special about the MC is his title and powers. A lot of OP MC stories tend to be repetitive and hold bad execution. And a lot of times, it's anticlimactic endings, in the bad way. There's usually no build up and it makes the constant convenient solve boring.

It's mostly that I hate solely-strength based OP-MCs, the type of MC that's only really strong in a general sense of their powers. They might have super OP magic and fighting stats and really nothing else special. I'd find specialized or at least the "like to have flashy skills/artifacts" type to be much better. Instead of just an OP general mage or general swordsman, having a somewhat special area of OP like Necromancer or Illusionist is better. Whether their OP only in a skill profession like alchemy or blacksmithing, or they are generally OP along with having skills. That's why I'm impressed by profession based MCs as well as MCs strong due to experience or hardwork (not due to a cheat). What do you find to be the best way to write an OP-MC story? Have you had any ideas of an OP MC like your own novel idea? How can an Op MC story last in terms of quality?

I like Number One Under Heaven for mainly a lot of the things it does well at. Likable(not jacka**) MC, interesting array of powers(he's not just high in strength but also in authority, looks. alchemy, teaching), the interactions and meeting of harem members are at least somewhat different and enjoyable, good comedy, nice build up, and great world building and specification of his powers (Soul Cleansing Spear, God Library, Rich Wealth of Artifacts, Tribulation Lightning, Judgement Domain, beast Summon). I always like powers that have a name and dies certain things.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  2. arrogantyoungmaster

arrogantyoungmaster 20 Nuf = 1 face slap to make your day better

Reading List:
    Link
    don t face slap me every goddamn chapter and it will be good

3. LysUltima

LysUltima Riichi! Tsumo! Toitoi! Suuankou!?

Reading List:
    Link
    I have an OP-ness

Agreed, MC just getting a harem with his OP-ness is bad.

With an OP MC, imo, it's better for there to be a lot of other character's perspectives because, honestly, having an OP guy just being Op is quite boring.

Cosmic_ likes this.
  4. nazmulm

nazmulm The Lord of Sloth

Reading List:
    Link
    I like stories that focus more on how the MC interacts with the world in interesting ways rather than the MC just going around being all flashy and getting everything without actually doing much

Cosmic_ and Scylox like this.
  5. thelurker

thelurker [The Crazy Guy] Death to All BL Novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Must be atleast good at crafting areas especially cooking, alchemy, blacksmithing and also must be funny and should there be harem the interactions should be like
    The log of the crazy lich

Cosmic_ likes this.
  6. thelurker

thelurker [The Crazy Guy] Death to All BL Novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Library of the heavens path?

7. Evil_Ginger

Evil_Ginger 『Lawful Neutral』『Cheese Master』『安德鲁』

Reading List:
    Link
    Just don't make them the MC. In fact, to make the story that much better, don't even let them become the protagonist. An insurmountable wall would be an amazing thing for the hero to overcome.

Cosmic_ likes this.
  8. Cosmic_

Reading List:
    Link
    I also always had this thing where I can't like the harem of most OP MCs. I know it's fiction, but the Suspension Bridge Effect is real. Like it's fine to like someone's strength or even wealth. But when it seems to be the only thing that they like, it's bad. Whenever I write an OP MC story, I always have the love interest fall in love before she find out his powers. I even make the love interest start more as a friend then think have her want to protect the MC, then fall in love, then find out.

9. zenla

zenla { Totally human being} {Kingdom building fanatic}

Reading List:
    Link
    Crush enemy after he breaks through to higher power. Because he is still just nowhere near mc anyway. It is kinda funny.

Ramon54xg and Cosmic_ like this.
  10. Cosmic_

Reading List:
    Link
    I always like the sorta OP-MCs. The kind that are already strong, but that can always get stronger and does have to struggle to. If I'm going to do an OP MC story, I have multiple POVs and make the focus the interactions around the MC, not the MC him/herself. Like having funny subordinates or having them take care of a kid and focus on the cute, not the OP.

Evil_Ginger and Paps like this.
  11. Underload

Underload <I need someone to scratch my back!>

Reading List:
    Link
    first take a good fatty chicken leg (Normal mc) apply a miture of spices and herbs on him (Let him live a hard life) after the leg has soaked all the effects put batter on it and deep fry it (send him to the other world), but dont forget to sprinkle youe secret mix on the finished product before serving (You need to give him a special ability). And your op-chicken is ready to be served.

Fuyuneko and fuzor100 like this.
  12. MaliMi

MaliMi The Cookie Guardian

Reading List:
    Link
    I have only one thing to say: One Punch Man

13. AIm21

AIm21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The best type of OP-Protagonist story for me, is to not have the protagonist shown often or make them less of a center of focus in the grand scheme of things. So they only use their OP-Ness at the right moment of the story and focus more on the side character, world building, and story execution.

Also since the OP protagonist need less character development as to become OP his character should have been develop before we even know him. So he should show his character through interaction with the cast of the story to allow us to know what kind of character he is and his or her way of dealing with the world that is messing with him because of Plot. But there is a loophole to this and that is if you want a OP Protagonist to gain character development, he needs a genuine flaw and not to his power, because an OP protagonist doesn't need a power flaw. But a difficult flaw to his personality that can be develop.

This personality flaw should make him more harmful to his love one when they need him or make other wary of him from time to time.

Cosmic_ likes this.
  14. Yukino

Yukino Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try not to force some stuffs in too much because it's popular. People are ok with harem at first, but when every single one of them have harem whom member like MC for stupid reason, it make people fed up. Same with face slap and other stuff, doing so too much and it's just meh.

Cosmic_ likes this.
  15. Paps

Paps Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Doesn't matter how OP your MC is you need to create characters and plot that engage the reader, thats why a lot of OP Mc stories just bomb, I mean you need more in the story that the fact thet the heroe can onepunch a dragon, you need ta make the reader guet interested in this guy.

Cosmic_ likes this.
  16. SirPinha

SirPinha #Vaporwave

Reading List:
    Link
    Make a good MC and give him a good reason for being OP... Don't come with the Cheat bullshit.

Paps and Cosmic_ like this.
  17. chucke

chucke Going towards the glorious future

Reading List:
    Link
    I love and hate stories with OP MCs. The reason is that when main character is not OP then a plot armor interferes. When MC is OP the plot armor is already there from the very beginning but it is starting to intensify. And especially bad it is - in chinese novels. I don't wanna even discuss that.

But I hate characters that gets some cheats by lucky findings like "the country existed for 1500 years all explored and so on, yet some clown popped up and ran into ancient artifact from xxxxx years ago and started his way to godhood". And don't like "genius out of geniuses" characters.

Stories with OP characters can be told basically two ways - either make OP a joke (MC is overpowered as hell but does only gardening) and the story itself more about side characters and different perspectives or just make it challenging for MC to be OP (you are OP in fighting but completely useless against traps and so on).

Cosmic_ likes this.
  18. Cosmic_

Reading List:
    Link
    I find One Punch Man to do the OP-MC genre right since it's focus is mostly in the action and comedy. It doesn't solely rely on Saitama being OP to carry the show. It's also really nice that the medium (manga and anime) really bring out the action.

Paps likes this.
  19. Cosmic_

Reading List:
    Link
    I always hate OP MC's that have like this archenemy or just a person in their past that harms them and MC doesn't take care of them first. Don't have like a super evil brother and only after 400 chapters have the OP MC kill him. I don't like loose strings that are dragged out. Just deal with the bugs and move on from the very start.

20. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    If you're truly op, you'll have the ability to make people you care about op as well. Not letting them get hurt, no young masters nearly raping your harem or your mom etc. No having to leave behind everyone right after an arc just because you have to ascend to get stronger again.

Cosmic_ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.