Misc Idea for a reincarnation novel with WW2 setting

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by gyoga, Jan 5, 2017.

1. kineticblast

kineticblast Very Unprofessional Farmer

Reading List:
    Link
    It seemed convoluted but very interesting how much of the general idea will we see in the first few chapters. If you want to revel some as time goes along or will you have a prologue chapter? Either way the set up will be tough and there will be a lot of options for conflict. Though it's interesting if you want to make it possible you should narrow down the conflicts and set up. Gradually build up to your idea otherwise you may end up with a huge string of events that confuses the reader. Especially if you use exposition for your set up.

gyoga likes this.
  2. gyoga

gyoga Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @aabd1713 I also intend to expose bit by bit, thank you for the advice

@Yukkuri Oniisan I tried but it seems to be longer than I thought so I will finish the rest later, I think I still need to work on my English since this is my first time writing a scenario

The Meiji government was established in 1868 after the Boshin War just as in the OTL. However, the Satsuma Rebellion never happened in 1877 due to the subtle dealing between the Imperial government and Saigo Takamori who was appointed to lead the samurai. Thus the samurai class, called shizoku in Japanese, got to keep some special privileges, unlike in the OTL. This saved Japan a huge amount of money which had been originally spent in order to rapidly build the Army suppressing the revolt. Indirectly, the event also improved the general performance of Japanese forces during the Russo-Japanese War in 1904. Realizing that Japan was still strong enough to resume the war, Tsar Nicholas II accepted to yield the whole Sakhalin instead of just half, still he refused to pay any reparation.

WW1 still happened in the same way as the OTL, with the Allies emerging victorious while four Empires (Germany, Austria-Hungary, Russia and Ottoman) were abolished. However, there was a minor difference: Second Lieutenant Mikhail Tukhachevsky was gunned down during his attempt to escape from German camps after being taken prisoner in 1915. 3 years later, Vladimir Lenin was shot during a public speech by Fanny Kaplan. However, he missed the vital spots so Lenin escaped death without any major effect on his health. Thanks to his prolonged life, Lenin stayed in power longer instead of dying in 1924 and Stalin could never successfully build his power base. Eventually, Nikolai Bukharin was chosen to be Lenin’s successor when he retired from office in 1928.

Under the leadership of Bukharin, Soviet Russia was very different compared to its counterpart in the OTL. On one hand, Bukharin continued the New Economic Policy set forth by his predecessor and prevented 30 million people from dying of starvation. This feat made the Soviet regime become much more bearable for its citizens at the cost of rapid industrialization, though the government still managed to achieve considerable results. On the other hand, despite the failures of other European communist revolutions, Bukharin stood firm with the theory of Permanent Revolution and supported the Communist International in its mission. In this regard, the Soviet Union became more threatening in the eyes of Western powers and Japan, who had to deal with stronger communist movements. The 3 Baltic states joined the Soviet Union during mid-1930s after proletariat governments were established.

A decade earlier, Benito Mussolini and his National Fascist Party came to power. Italian economy would have stayed the same as in the OTL. But with a little luck, a geologist named Ardito Desio discovered oil in Lybia in 1930. Initially, Italy didn’t have the deep reeling technology to extract oil there. However, when Italo Balbo was appointed Governor of Italian Libya in 1933, he took advantage of his popularity in the United States to set up the necessary facilities. Libyan oil production finally started in 1936 and it gave a positive push to the economy during the latter stage of the Depression. That same year, the Spanish Civil War began and quickly became fiercer than in the OTL due to both sides receiving greater support from the Soviet Union and the fascist states. Ultimately, Francisco Franco triumphed but the Italian Corps of Volunteer Troops sent by Mussolini suffered a much bigger loss, 20 thousand out of 75 thousand men died. The casualties forced the top military leaders to adopt a new doctrine instead of relying on massive infantry attack.

Meanwhile, the situation was not very bright in the United States. After Franklin Roosevelt was assassinated in 1933, Vice President John Nance Garner assumed the position. During his 2 terms, the States made a slower recovery from the Great Depression and remained isolated from the heated rearmament in Europe. Garner didn’t support the government of Chiang Kai Shek in his struggle to unify China against the Soviet-backed Communist Party and other powerful warlords either. In Latin America, the communist movements successfully took power in Cuba, Nicaragua and Chile. Garner had his hands full trying to keep the rest of the continent under the US’s influence, though Peru, Argentina and several smaller nations maintained warm relations with the Axis powers.

On the other side of the Pacific Ocean, Japan was expanding fast without being restrained by the United States. After seizing control of Manchuria by staging the Mukden Incident in 1931, the government started to re-design Manchukuo into Japanese “British Raj”. With the Lytton Report being filed, Japan still quit the League of Nations as in the OTL. When the Great Depression struck, Japanese military had a harder time dealing with rising communist parties but finally put down all of them through brutal suppression. In 1933, Japan signed the Anti-Comintern Pact with Nazi Germany in fear of the increasing threat of communism. The outbreak of the Spanish Civil War pulled in Italy and Nationalist Spain, which officially created the Axis. Internally, things were different for the Japanese: Nagata Tetsuzan - the genius who was considered to be the real brain behind the Toseiha faction, didn’t get assassinated in 1935 and soon started purging his Kodoha political rivals. Although Nagata favored the Strike South Doctrine, he was still wary of the growing Soviet Union, knowing such a powerful enemy shouldn’t be left unchecked. Thus instead of initiated the second Sino-Japanese War, which the general foresaw would create another United Front, he let Chinese people exhaust themselves while mechanizing the Army.

Perhaps the one that had to go through the most hardships was Adolf Hitler himself. With the German Communist Party and the Social Democratic Party allying to fight against the Nazi Party, Hitler had more obstacles to remove before eventually rising to power as in the OTL. Naturally, this deepened his hatred of Jews and communism even more and he openly displayed hostility to the Soviet state. As a result, the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact would not be signed. This lack of support from Stalin in the OTL made Nazi Germany relied more on Japan, and to a lesser extent Italy, to keep Russia in check while Hitler annexed Austria, occupied Czechoslovakia in 1938 and later invaded Poland in 1939. In response to Hitler’s aggressiveness, Bukharin ordered the invasion of Finland which was friendly to the Nazi government. The Winter War happened just as in the OTL and ended with the Moscow Peace Treaty, which further caused Finland to lean toward the Axis powers later on. That same year, Britain and France declared war on Germany, officially starting the second Great War.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  3. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer it to be from birth and mc is an history junkie and analyst. Some historian did say that even if hitler didn't came to power someone else will and with worst outcome. Hitler did ignore advices that might have change the outcome. He is making so many mistake , the allies don't want to assassinate him.

4. Zaart

Zaart Deer Master Race

Reading List:
    Link
    Well its for that exact reason that i prefer this setting but we all have our own respective taste.
    But i think @gyoga was right and it might be better for the setting to be 1941 because after 1943 it would be a lot harder to think of idea of how to win for the autor

5. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This would be interesting fight.http://pazero.deviantart.com/art/HITLER-VS-NICE-HITLER-324626596

If it is from birth then it would be more political as at 25 years (1914) he could prevent the assassination of a certain archduke, from there he could prevent the main reason why Nazi gain supporters( world war 1 outcome and an unfair treaty). There is also the great depression and the imminent russian revolution. So basically, endless death flags.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  6. gyoga

gyoga Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In my opinion, late 1942 would be the perfect time, maybe during the middle phase of Stalingrad. Not too difficult but not easy either.

After all, the expertise of the MC himself will depend on the period he reincarnates, right from birth would require a very cunning mind, on par with Bismarck himself, while 1940s is good to showcase his battlefield genius.

7. Zaart

Zaart Deer Master Race

Reading List:
    Link
    Well i don t like political that much, i prefer warfar, but yes i though of the mc becoming a second hitler and having to work with the other hitler, but hitler would most likely torture every info outta him
    You realy are knowlegeable!
    Well honestly i think it will be a lot easier for an autor to write a battlefield genius (hitler wasn t, he was a poker player to me) than to write a true genius from childhood
    Also we would need a reason for the mc to become the new hitler.
    And writing a psycho mc is hard.
    I think it would be more interesting to become hitler in the middle of the war

8. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There is a novel "the boys from Brazil" hitler was cloned and nazi survivors try to recreate the events which happen to hitler.

9. gyoga

gyoga Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just read the summary, I feel like it's the opposite of Captain America - The Winter Soldier haha

Thank you, I only know a little due to researching stuffs recently to write my scenario.

And you're right, without a legit reason, it's hard for the MC to become a tyrant. He could even go to Switzerland or Sweden to enjoy early retirement lol.

Zaart likes this.