Is MTL based translator can be called a translator

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by alamptr, Jul 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    The "translates from one language into another" portion implies the translator must preserve meaning. If I "translate" snake into another language and back somehow ending up with there are aliens on Mars, clearly I am not a translator. Just trying is not enough.

kenar, Action, sinyueliang and 2 others like this.
  2. sigmarc

sigmarc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  3. IRainstorm

IRainstorm Dark Sect Ancestor

Reading List:
    Link
    Turtle rainbow was using MTL tool to help her through the translation during the first years of ark/lms translating and I'm willing to call her work translation as she did put effort in her editing and used her knowledge of Korean to make it better.
    The first translator of Zhu Xian probably MTL'ed it but he kept it faithful to the original material and used some of his knowledge to make it seem better even though his english skill were lacking, I'm willing to call it translation.

Now the line is crossed when a translation is a real job with money gained from it, the standards change completely!

Action, Akashura and AMissingLinguist like this.
  4. Crow Slaying Vanir-san

Crow Slaying Vanir-san Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think machine translation is good as long as it is used as an aid to the translation rather than doing all the translation. But when it gets to a point where the machine does all the work, the person posting that isn't a translator, but merely some random guy stealing the machine's work.

Action and Green Apple like this.
  5. Cygsiulle

Cygsiulle error 404: title not found

Reading List:
    Link
    it needs at least a certain level of editing and proof-reading. people might call themselves a translator usin MTL, but frankly, it's more akin to just stealin someone else's work and putting it on their site if they don't even do the slightest amount of real editing on it. rather than translating, they'd be better off just saying "hey, i just ripped this off of google and thought you all might enjoy the bleeding eyes and brain hemorrhaging, too.."

Action and Green Apple like this.
  6. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dude, the guy that set you off in the other thread was telling you that translators who basically shove the RAWS into google and then copy & paste the results with minimal to no editing whatsoever - sometimes to the point where you're better off just reading the google translate results yourself - are not "translators." They're "shit."

I get that there are a few machine translators you respect, but those guys probably put lots of effort into editing or even "translate for real" and only use machine translation as an assistance. That's not the same kind of thing at all.

Some of Qidian's "translators" clearly do the former. Why Qidian lets them "translate" for them is beyond me, but they'll probably be removed eventually~

7. Kurotsubaki

Kurotsubaki Reincarnation of the Seven Deadly Sins

Reading List:
    Link
    This topic is so old it fossilized.....

Action likes this.
  8. alamptr

alamptr What should i put here

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah, that guy said they cannot be called translator, but an editor

Action likes this.
  9. Dexter

Dexter Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    MTL = I dont know what grammar is

10. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If they don't do any actual translation and just edit the results of a machine translation, he's probably right about that. It's still better to call them translators out of respect for the work they do, though, if they actually do any work. The better machine translators spend an awfully long time and a lot of effort editing those results, so I'd call 'em a translator out of respect, even if they technically aren't.

Action, MadHatter and mir like this.
  11. wonderer

wonderer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    if a person uses a dictionary to translate are they still a translator?

Action and AliceShiki like this.
  12. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    ... Does it matter?

I do MTL, I spend 4-8h per chapter of 2000 words, I consider myself a translator I guess... But I wouldn't feel bad if someone called me an editor.

Sure, I do know some Japanese, and I do try to get a good quality on what I translate... I don't see any problem with being called an editor though, I'm just happy to share the novel I'm translating with other people.

Action, MadHatter and mir like this.
  13. AndyDarren

AndyDarren Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In my case, I read stories in order to find out what happens and if the MTL can properly convey to me what happens in the story then no matter if the translation slightly differs from the actual words used, as long as it gets the point across then I'm good.
    Real example:

"The third day. Along with the assembly of the large hot air balloon, the day had also arrived for them to depart and explore the ruins.
    The new hot air balloon was named “Hawk Eye”, and its massive basket was capable of accommodating many witches. In addition, it would be enveloped and wrapped around by a canvas, preventing chilly winds and heavy snowfall from affecting it."

"On the third day, with the completion of the new hot air balloon, also came the day of departure for the ruins exploration.
    The new hot-air balloon was named Far Gaze, the gigantic hanging basket could accommodate more witches, and by being surrounded by a canvas encirclement, it could also ward off against the cold wind and heavy snow." <----MTL

In both cases, I found out that:
    -On the third day, the new balloon was completed.
    -The basket allowed it to hold more witches.
    -This new model has added protection against wind and snow.

They both were able to properly convey all the important pieces of info. That's all I really ask for and all I need to know in order to progress through the plot.
    Of course I have mad respect for those that actually know the original language, I just see the reason that there's so much hate for mtl, especially when the novel isn't being picked up otherwise.

Action and mir like this.
  14. sal880612m

sal880612m As I thought, love was a status effect! ~ICDS

Reading List:
    Link
    Technically no. The translation isn't done by a person but a machine meaning the person themself has done no real translation. Also usually there is a fair degree of inaccuracy in any MTL based translations as the people doing them lack a firm understanding of the languages grammar. It's to the point where I think it's more appropriate to call MTL based translations, MTL interpretations. I don't really see anything too wrong with people doing that though provided, they don't charge money for it (no sponsored chapters, donations are okay but iffy), are upfront about what it is, try to improve it when mistakes are pointed out and yield it to someone who knows the language should they show an interest.

Action likes this.
  15. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Interpretations is a terrible term, call them editing if you want, but nobody is interpreting the work when they do MTL, they are working to transform an unreadable piece of garbage that came from google translate into something readable.

Ever saw a chapter with over 40 footnotes? Those are what you are calling "interpretations", the sentences that the translator isn't sure about, so they tried to make sense of, and left a footnote to tell the reader that the accuracy of that sentence might be lacking.

Why can't they make sponsored chapters? It's not like they'll stop translating the free chapters if they don't reach the amount necessary for the sponsored chapters. People use their money for whatever they want, if someone wants to pay money to have faster MTL releases, why should you care?

They should be upfront about it being MTL though, I can agree on that much, the reader deserves to know that the accuracy of the translation they're reading might be lacking.

Action and MadHatter like this.
  16. GM_Rusaku

GM_Rusaku Neptune-sama's Devoted Follower

Reading List:
    Link
    Well there are two type of MTL'ers. A Pure MTL'er who slightly edits the MTL and the Machine Assisted TL'ers who use machine dictionaries and parsers to translate.

TheDefend and Action like this.
  17. maharaya

maharaya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    tool ~ to get a jobs done fasterrr. should just dip finger into ink & write, fcuk quill, fcuk pencil, fcuk pen, oh... fcuk printer too. long life machine.

18. Molen

Molen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "A person who translates from one language into another, especially as a profession."
    This sentence make me think of something.

at some point in the future, there will be robots/ai that can translate better than 'real' translator.
    robot/ai is not a person, and if we use translator definiton above, those robot/ai can not be called translator...

Joke aside, i think MTL can be called translator, although not a good one. Remember, MTL stands for Machine Translation. if someone using MTL is not a Translator, we have to change MTL name into something else. Machine /Automated Dictionary maybe?
    or change the MTL user name/title into something else

Action likes this.
  19. alamptr

alamptr What should i put here

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup, if ai can do that in the future i think translator will not be exist anymore

Action likes this.
  20. Yemallis

Yemallis Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They translate from MTL English to actual English.

Action and jihadjoe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.