Discussion Is romance a Must in the novels you read?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by NinjapowerMS, Feb 19, 2017.

Tags:
?

Is romance a Must in the Novels you read?

1. Yes

56.6%
  2. No

43.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suoh95

Suoh95 King

Reading List:
    Link
  2. Truerror

Truerror Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No. In fact, I usually avoid certain tag combinations, though not always. Like Romance + Slice of Life. I like Slice of Life on its own, but usually not if there's lots of romance included.

3. Frozen ink

Frozen ink Legally had harem『Cathulu』Power of Love & Evil』

Reading List:
    Link
    If it has romance I DEMAND SMUT desu~
    but id still read it so not really desu~

4. TheZephyrStorm

TheZephyrStorm Rock God

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer it but I don't need it. Warlock of the magus world has no romance but it's still good depending on who you ask. I love the relationship in true martial world and I think it adds to the story. Even coiling dragon where romance didn't play any big role at all was still pleasant

enigmaniac likes this.
  5. iBakax3

iBakax3 [Baka Ranger]

Reading List:
    Link
    I love fluff and angst, it adds to the story and character development. But no sex please. Because once you go into sex, the story will keep going back into it, causing the novel to deviate its original path.

6. hellogarry

hellogarry Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, unless it's something about revenge and the likes then no. But if the goal is wholesome then Yes because it's more fun that way.

7. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    No, but it's a plus.

8. Morvian

Morvian 『Weakened King』『Abandoned Man』『Man Of Culture』

Reading List:
    Link
    well if its like cute romance where mc and his partner loved each other without any annoyance.

then 'YES'

I mean with annoyance is where the two will separated then mc will meet other girl and that girl was annoying and make it harem like later then he meet again with his gf then that girl suddenly become more closer to the MC's gf, then they become like girl alliance while ignoring the MC.
    so what I like is where mc and his love partner is always together when they happy or when its sad moment too.
    but I cant seem find that type here.

Mangochic likes this.
  9. Danis

Danis {(Harem Sect Leader)}{Trickster}&{Lurker}

Reading List:
    Link
    of course only kid dont need romance !!!

10. Har D Rai

Har D Rai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Romance is definitely not a necessity for me , romace is like a double edged sword in some novel it eithers makes em interesting or completely ruins em . Some great novels have romance not as a main focus but plays a great role in keeping the story interesting . I dont mind romance in novels as long as it good romance , doesn't matter its harem or not as long as it is good.

11. Eclantro

Eclantro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes. Only because without it as a force in driving the plot and character development, the story feels crippled. If there is never a relationship or children, if a character was to die, nothing would be affected. Espically in those novels where the mc has gone all lone wolf.

12. TheDeadOne21

TheDeadOne21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    While no one will likely read this, romance is something that drives a plot and helps illuminate the story as well as avoid repetitiveness. A story with 6 wives has a habit of ruining said story. The reason I would say romance is not a "must" would best be described through example, such as The Reincarnator. This story is interesting and constantly changing, romance isn't needed to drive the story along. Looking at I Shall Seal The Heavens, there are stretches of hundreds of chapters without a shred of romance, like the dragoneer segment. (probably my favorite part) Of course I can give examples of the complete opposite, but with a 2/3 majority leaning towards romance I don't see it as necessary. If people think romance is truly a must, read Forgotten Conquerer. Its not on this site, but the novel does plan ahead and actually uses characterization. Its the best I've read in the last year and it actually capitalizes on its main premise in the beginning, which more or less explains the lack of romance.

Mangochic likes this.
  13. KimiKazoo

KimiKazoo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I dislike most romance and especially harem or sex in Wuxia/Xianxia novels.

The girls are mostly carbon copies of each other: beautiful, great body (which the story will never shut up about), great talent, etc
    It's like personality does not matter or something. And harem is just a no, maybe cuz I aint a male.

I would much prefer a bit more emphasis on friendship and family, but of course most novels don't focus on that.
    (few exceptions: ISSTH, DD)

14. Clyne

Clyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Romance is a must, even uncle like to read romance xianxia. Not to mention younger reader.

Even pure shounen manga like naruto and fairy tail has romance although very little.

If you just read cultivation novel, adventure, adventure, adventure, sooner or later the story will get boring. We need some romance and comedy. Just like issth.

15. thedorkishguy

thedorkishguy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I love romance and in all honesty romance is one of the reasons I would watch or read anything. If the novel has zero romance, I generally wouldn't pick it up unless it was extremely good.

16. dryzzle

dryzzle 『Little One』『Borderless bun』『Epi's poring』Yzra

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really a must but I think most of the things I read have romance.... It adds spice to the story..

17. Peony

Peony Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Romance is not a necessity in the novels I read. I can read a novel without romance perfectly fine, but if there is romance it must be well written. Having romance introduced into a novel suddenly is also distracting to the plot. Sometimes it makes you wonder why the characters became dumb all of a sudden due to the romance.

18. Raizhee

Raizhee who

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't find romance a necessity in the novels , i hope my evil mcs will never before lovestruck fools if possible or they would be ruined

19. Mizura

Mizura Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope. Romance is often so badly written, I'd rather it be absent altogether.

20. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    I would rather have no romance than badly written romance, although I do like it when it is done well.

Mangochic likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.