Japanese Kaidansaka no Mahoutsukai

Discussion in 'Novel Pickup Request' started by WhiteWolf42, Apr 22, 2017.

1. WhiteWolf42

WhiteWolf42 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Name: Kaidansaka no Mahoutsukai
    The Magician of the Staircase
    The Cursed Girl and the Evil Magician
    階段坂の魔法使い
    Raw Link: I can provide the raws, just ask (3 LNs)
    NU Link: http://www.novelupdates.com/series/the-cursed-girl-and-the-evil-magician/
    Why It Should Get Picked Up: I personally thinks from the synopsis it sounds interesting and it's a rare 19th century Great Britain story setting with fantasy elements. Known from the teaser, the heroine is cursed with something called 'The Sleeping Princess'. Whoever touches her skin is cursed to sleep forever. No human, animal, not even plants can escape this cruel curse (because of this, the heroine always wears gloves, she is scared of getting touched or to touch something.) It's somehow a little bit similar to the otome game 'Code: Realize' where the heroine kills anyone she touches with the deadly poison that resides in her body. I had really fun playing this game and because of this I'm interested in this novel series too.
    Description:
    Everything Judy touches is put to sleep. Even though she can't even have a lover because of this curse, she is to marry the ill-rumored "Magician of the Staircase"! However, the goal of the magician - who she thought came to pick her up - was just a sample of Judy's blood. He rejected Judy with... "Marriage? Me? Don't be silly, it's quite enough to be single for this entire life."?! This is a love fairy tale between a young girl and a frustrating and socially awkward evil magician!

Here are the raws of the first chapter of the novel:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/616os83ymvyvmhc/Kaidansaka_no_Mahoutsukai_Teaser_Raws.zip
    Important Note: I won't share my raws anymore with people, who just wants to read the novel for free. For this purpose I upload the raws of the teaser. If someone is getting seriously interesting in translating this novel, then I will share the complete raws with him/her. For someone who just wants to read it, please understand if I say: "Please buy the raws yourself." With this you are also supporting the author and the artist.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  2. lucjanssens

lucjanssens a very ¨rabbit¨ bunny

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Setra

Setra Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    NU =Novel Update, if it hasn't been translated before, it doesn't have one

4. ilhan1104

ilhan1104 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you must find the raw link to increase the chance it can get translated

5. Noor

Noor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it is hard to get this translated as you need to actually buy the LN whereas most translator here translate from free Web novel.

6. Moonpearl

Moonpearl Professional Yuri Girl ❀ [Yuri Garden Creator]

Reading List:
    Link
    Looks interesting~! I hope it gets picked up.

7. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
  8. Ilinox

Ilinox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    First, I just have to say this is a dense book. It says it's the same length as most other novels (around 300 pages) but I swear that's a lie because I wasn't getting anywhere. Perpetually stuck at 1/5 of the book and then started skipping chunks of pages.

Anyway, I went in thinking it was going to be a romcom or something with the premise and cover but it's a surprisingly serious story. There's a lot of focus on side characters, familial relationships, how terrible Judy's curse actually is, and loneliness in people. Took me by surprise but that's not bad.

Also, the cover is a bit misleading. In the first two chapters or so, you find out that the Staircase Magician is actually a monster-like person. There's rumors that he was cursed into a hideous form and he actually does walk around in a big robe, mask, and artificial (?) wings. Kinda gave me "Mahoutsukai no Yome" vibes except the male lead is really cold and mean.

Except apparently he's not that cold and mean?? I spoiled myself by reading reviews when I noticed the cover was showing another character called "Victor", but it turns out that the male lead has 3 forms in this entire series and they all appear in this first volume lol... He has his monster form, known as the Staircase Magician; his Victor form, on the cover; and a wolf form, called Rin who sleeps and cuddles up with Judy and gets bathed by her.

Reviews say that while it's a good story there's still loose ends around the 3rd volume and people don't understand why it didn't continue to Friday (the volumes are named after days of the weeks from Monday to Wednesday). Apparently, there's no good conclusion about the male lead's monstrous state and not much romance (because of spoiler-y reasons).

I think MTL is possible with this one though there's a few loan words and magic words/inventions to be translated.

Claire Lilly and Damyabo like this.
  9. WhiteWolf42

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks again for looking into the book for me.^^

10. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    You can try Kindle Web and print to pdf

11. WhiteWolf42

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks, but I already know how to convert them.

Wujigege likes this.
  12. WhiteWolf42

Reading List:
    Link
    This is not a problem, since I can provide the raws.^^

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  13. WhiteWolf42

Reading List:
    Link
    I uploaded the raws of the first chapter if someone is interested.

14. Claire Lilly

Claire Lilly ~Fairy of the Moon Blossom~

Reading List:
    Link
    I've already read the teaser some time ago, before I joined NU. It sounds totally like my type of reading stuff. You have my vote for picking this up!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  15. Claire Lilly

Claire Lilly ~Fairy of the Moon Blossom~

Reading List:
    Link
    Since @Ilinox already spoilered a bit of the story, I will post the two character sketches, that come with the third volume:
    [​IMG]
    I think the pink dress suits Judy the most and just look at her ball gown! So beautiful! I really want to wear such a dress too!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    Moonpearl likes this.