Spoiler Legend of Concubine’s Daughter Minglan

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by alexfilia, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Adnana

Adnana Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @alexfilia
    Lol, I sure hope that the ML is present when she becomes pregnant. :)
    Re: the 1st pregnancy. Minglan and the ML had been married for almost a year, and there was still no pregnancy news. Actually, I think Minglan wanted to make her body super healthy first, so that a pregnancy wouldn't shorten her life. But Stepmom was naturally always looking for ways to harm them, so she colluded with one of his aunts (I think?) and came to see Minglan, then the Aunt as an elder basically started to blame Minglan for not having a child yet, claiming that given the ML's high status he especially needed heirs, then she tried to force Minglan to accept 2 concubines to give birth to the ML's children. And of course, to really pressure her, she threatened her "virtuous" reputation (no woman could afford to be labeled as jealous and selfish in their society--a wife not being able to bear her husband heirs yet also unwilling to allow other women to substitute for her "inadequacy." Something like that.). Minglan was about to answer, when the ML showed up--and you got to understand, the ML is this super strong, determined alpha guy who can never be bullied, and when someone wants to bully Minglan, he's always like an impenetrable wall determined to protect her. The biggest trouble Minglan ever had, that is the most attacks she was subjected to, always happened when the ML wasn't in the capital (gone on war campaign), so her enemies regarded her as more vulnerable. Though of course, Minglan always managed to hold her own.
    Anyway, the ML showed up (Stepmom immediately became pale) and turned the tables on the Aunt, telling her that usually, when you want to give a gift, it's courtesy to consider if the intended recipient actually wants that gift (here, the intended "gift" for the ML are the 2 concubines). So he tells her, "ask me what I want," and then follows up, "I want legitimate (di-born) heirs. Since you're so determined to 'help' my household, can you give me that?" Something like that. Which made the Aunt speechless, of course, because obviously, only the legitimate di wife (Minglan) can give birth to legitimate di heirs, so what was the Aunt trying to do here, plotting for the birth of shu boys in his family?
    Then after he sends the 2 busybodies away, he very sweetly comforts Minglan, assuring her that they can wait, that she shouldn't feel any pressure to have children so fast etc. etc. And Minglan keeps trying to tell him something, lol, and finally manages to stop his words and tell him, "actually, I think I'm pregnant." The ML freezes for a moment, then is super ecstatic and starts twirling her around the room in joy.
    Their firstborn is a boy. While Minglan is pregnant, the ML loves touching her belly and feeling the child move, and after the birth, he's a very hands-on, loving father.
    There's also a 2nd pregnancy over the course of the book, also a boy. (The ML was initially hoping for a daughter, lol)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  2. Adnana

Adnana Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Eis
    I wasn't interested in the intricacies of the sisters' marriages, so I mostly skimmed through those parts in the novel. Therefore, I don't have answers for all your questions.
    I actually don't remember Hualan's husband having shu-born children, though he had tongfang over the years before he fell in love with Hualan.
    I vaguely remember that one of Minglan's dowry maids wanted to become the ML's concubine, and Minglan had to wait until she had another excuse/valid reason to send her away. I think she was a maid given by Wang shi. And there was another maid who Minglan realized harbored bad intentions because she suddenly wanted to become a dowry maid when before she didn't, so Minglan from the start left her behind when she entered her husband's household.
    About Rualan, I'm certain that her husband wasn't mentioned as taking any concubines. They loved each other very much. You might be thinking of the time when Rualan was pregnant and thus couldn't "serve" her husband, so the mother-in-law tried to give her son a tongfang to take care of him instead. Rualan, "fragile" and pregnant, went out crying in the rain at night, all heartbroken, and influenced her husband not to accept that woman. This because introducing an outside woman into the household (who Rualan couldn't control) could have become dangerous in the long-term. But to act virtuous, Rualan offered him one of her dowry maids instead (who she could trust) to serve him, but she acted so hurt and pitiful that her husband couldn't bear it, so he refused to take any tongfang. So Rualan's scheme succeeded perfectly: she both appeared virtuous, and prevented the entry of any concubine in this vulnerable time (while Rualan was pregnant).
    But you're right about the maids that Wang shi chose for Minglan being mostly troublesome for her over the course of the novel.

That meeting that Minglan and Hualan attended as representatives of Molan's family (for their reputation, the public couldn't perceive them as estranged) was just a discussion among women after Molan's father-in-law died and the eldest son (I think he was shu-born, and was the most successful in the family), but in this case his wife was the convenient scapegoat, was pushing for division of family property. Which was a bit of a shameful event for a family, particularly since the old Marquis had just died. So Minglan and Hualan actually try to circumvent that sister-in-law's intentions during that meeting. I don't think anybody was accusing Molan of anything on that particular occasion. (Other than that, it's true that Molan had a bad reputation in her family.)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  3. Yumika12345

Yumika12345 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm a little curious cause i absolutely love grandma and minglan when does the grandma pass away and how did Minglan react?

alexfilia likes this.
  4. alexfilia

alexfilia Bromance & Fluff <3

Reading List:
    Link
    Kyaaa...the ml is so awesome <3
    Did minglan and her hubbi had to pay respects to the elders in the family? ( something like once a month ) or they didnt bother at all? ....what did his family say when he first married her? ( since she is of low birrh and all)

5. wolfie643

wolfie643 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought Hualan and Rulan household didn't have concubines?

6. alexfilia

Reading List:
    Link
    I was wondering what was the step mom's and her son's reaction when the 1rst brother decided to leave the family to the ML ?

Btw after her older brother married his wife, do we see her getting pregnate and giving birth?

7. etern

etern Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ooooo, wow. Thank you everyone for all the spoilers!!! It makes me really anticipate the rest of the novel. (*fingers crossed* for the drama, I hope they do a good job).

I'd also like to know what happens to Grandma and her reactions to what happens?

8. Awesome Sauce

Awesome Sauce Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Does anyone know how old the ML was and Minglan was when they got married?

9. alexfilia

Reading List:
    Link
    i dont think it was mentined but he is propably at least 7 years older than her (since he was about to get married and all after he first met her when she was a kid)

10. Eis

Eis ❄❅Queen of Ice❅❄

Reading List:
    Link
    I roughly counted it...
    MingLan was supposed to be married after her coming age ceremony (or whatever it was called, anyway the 15th bday), but it got delayed about a year by some mourning period, (the death of some member of the royal family), the death happened before her coming age ceremony, so she got married roughly at 15-16 y.o. Most of the characters had mentioned it, ML was 26 y.o. when he married MingLan.
    So ML was 9 -11 years older than MingLan.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  11. Regalia1896

Regalia1896 Lady Sagittarius of the Moonlight Procrastinators

Reading List:
    Link
    If only other concubine daughters were conscientious of their positions in life, instead of acting like scheming b****es *cough cough* Everyothervillainessinachinesenovelever *cough cough*. I'm not saying worth should be determined by birth, but conduct yourself how you want to be treated... MingLan is a prime example of this. She is reserved, but respectful, doesn't take undue s*** but also doesn't start any without provocation. Can we just have her transmigrate around to other novels as a tutor for the other side of the coin?

12. smr85

smr85 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I read about their married life, why gty like to bite on MingLan? Also I think they were in period where plump woman consider beautiful, that's why MingLan can happily eat and sleep without worried about her figure

13. smr85

smr85 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just finish MTL this, omg I love the last epilog. It's about Qi Heng grandchild and Ming Lan grandchild.
    Ming lan successful life become the role model of all Sheng female descendants. But they failed to understand how come she as a Shu daughter with no backup from a mother can be so success. Until the six grand daughter of Chang Bai (big bro), she was unfavoured shu daughter from unsuccessful son of Chang Bai. She has same principle of life as Ming Lan, to know your place in society and don't covet what are others. She like to sleep and eat so she was chubby little girl as Ming Lan. Qi Heng keep his friendship with Chang Bai and once when he visit Chang Bai in celebration, Chang Bai introduce all his grandchild. There Qi Heng saw the six grand daughter of CB, QH got hit by memories of how he met ML for the first hands add on that this girl also called six girl like ML. So QH start to pay attention to her and realize she just like ML idlic and sincerest. So QH propose to CB asking her to be married to QH grandchild. They have a happy marriage, QH able to fullfill his love story with ML through this two kids. I'm not good at retelling but this epilog has a very bittersweet feels to it.
    The author then add ending note:
    This story start from six girl of Sheng Family with the young master of Qi family and ended with the six girl of Sheng Family and young master of Qi family, albeit their were a different person

14. ChuChi

ChuChi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @smr85 waaahhh... there is that kind of epilogue? Maybe the site i read the raws are incomplete because i cannot remember that, need to revisit the raws... can you give me the link for that epilogue? Thanks:p

15. smr85

smr85 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    m.lewenxiaoshuo.com/books/zhifou_zhifou_yingshilvfeihongshou/13925499.html
    This one, it has two chapter @ChuChi

16. xnekox

xnekox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I listened to the audiobook version and they didn't do epilogues !! How many epilogues are there and can someone summarise them? Thanks!

SSKF likes this.
  17. smr85

smr85 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Quite a lot, the epilogues mostly about person around Ming Lan, and lot's of character in epilogues hasn't show up in the TLed chapter so it will be confusing and needs lot of explanation about who is who

18. alexfilia

Reading List:
    Link
    finding extras is ussually a pain Q.Q .....for smut series some sites have them censored (but those have extras) and others dont but miss the extras Q.Q

19. mereumsama

mereumsama Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    can you give more details about minglan's children and herinteractions with the daughter of the wife.

20. Eis

Eis ❄❅Queen of Ice❅❄

Reading List:
    Link
    1. ML's 1st child was a daughter who was left by her biological mother bc she was deemed useless. ML had 2 concubines, 1 was the one that used to be his maid and then climbed to his bed and iirc the other was given by his stepmother. Both was not unfavoured and left in the main residence, so they mostly functioned as the daughter's babysitter. Bc they were unfavoured, they ignored the daughter's education. So when MingLan first met her, she was surprised bc ML's eldest bro's sole daughter who was 2 years younger could read, yet this daughter was not even fluent in speaking. She scolded the concubines, so later they began to educated her properly.
    The daughter was malicious toward MingLan at the beginning, she refused to call MingLan: mother, iirc she called MingLan: furen (madam). ML let her stayed with the concubine, sth MingLan relieved of, bc she was bad with children. Later as MingLan enrolled the daughter (with ML's eldest bro's daughter) to some school, the daughter began to understand MingLan's goodness toward her and accepted MingLan as her mother. She became somewhat bestfriend with ML's eldest bro's daughter. So when the stepmom plotted to kill MingLan, the aunt (ML's 1st sis-in-law) took her daughter alone to hid, but her daughter took ML's daughter too. And ML's daughter took her stepbrother with her (if she didn't do that MingLan's son would be killed). Thanks to this, ML's 1st sis-in-law managed to avoid ML's wrath.
    Later when her biological mother came and told ML that asked to let her stay, reasoned that the son need him and the daughter need her, she rebutted her mother and told her that she was willing to stay with her in the country.

2. ML's second child, first son. He was dragged along with his mother, even to the battlefield bc she deemed him useful for gaining ML's favour. Bc he kept being dragged along, he lack of education and couldn't even read anything. His mother kept planting him with hatred, so when he met MingLan for the 1st time, he stared at her with hatred. Bc of this, ML couldn't let him stay in his residence. ML exiled both mother and son, but when ML went to war, his mother dragged him to meet ML to the battlefield. Midway, he fell ill but his mother still dragged him, when they reached ML's camp, the son was already in critical condition and died soon after. His mother then became crazy.

3. MingLan's 1st child was a boy. He was born quite large, iirc about 4 kg. So MingLan had quite difficulties when giving birth. Plus ML's stepmom was plotting to kill her too (bringing ML's former concubine to enrage the pregnant MingLan and later burning the residence when she was in the process of giving birth). Anyway, he was quite active and like to bite ML. Also MingLan viewed him as "rather stupid" bc he kept pronouncing words wrongly (you know, in chinese same words with different tones had different meanings). Anyway, I think he inherited ML's trait; large build, martial-art.

4. MingLan's 2nd child was also a boy, he was about 1 years younger than his brother. iirc ML hoped it would be a daughter. He was very quiet and obidient, MingLan suspected that ML's family would finally had a scholar descendant. iirc he rather looked like MingLan's eldest bro.

EDITED:
    After the birth of ML's 1st di son, ML often played with him after coming home, he even terrified when he found the son flapping like a turtle on the floor (Ming Lan was training the son's neck strength).
    Then ML realised that he was worse than his father, the former marquess. Although the one that the former marquess loved was the 1st wife, but he still raised and educated ML properly. (Though it also related to how his first son was sickly and ML looked a lot like him).
    While with ML, he played with MingLan's sons but ignored the children from his unloved concubine.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018