TV MacGyver

Discussion in 'TV/Movies Discussion' started by ZhaWarudo, Jan 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ZhaWarudo

ZhaWarudo TOKI WO TOMARE!!!

Reading List:
    Link
    SG Universe, I have only watched a few eps and wasn't too thrilled about it, if I'm not mistaken it's about teens in a spaceship XD only 2 seasons and got canceled

2. IXAzraelXI

IXAzraelXI < Atheistic Angel >

Reading List:
    Link
    i personally enjoy it. yes there are modern action series that are better but mcgyver is more adventure than action if you're looking for action burn notice might be up your alley modern (smartphone era) take on mcgyver but with guns and bombs. mcgyver is more of a think piece imo...its kinda cool with post coldwar tension too...this is a tv show that aired a year before i was born

3. IXAzraelXI

IXAzraelXI < Atheistic Angel >

Reading List:
    Link
    sgu stargate universe

4. UltraFire

UltraFire Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I watched SGA, then the 2 movies, then SGU「the trapped in an ancient ship as well as the most boring」. Didn't SGA finish w/ the city Atlantis going to earth?

5. Deleted member 41274

Deleted member 41274 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    No way, he still a topic?

He was the dude who made things happen, not like Chuck Norris but in a similar way in other fields

6. mem

mem Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How about guro?

7. ZhaWarudo

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes and that's a nice finish, but I think they wanted another 5 seasons

8. SublimeWay

SublimeWay Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I watched the original Macgyver series during my formative years, and I think it impacted me greatly because it encouraged experimentation and tinkering. A couple of years ago I bought the entire series on DVD and felt that it had withstood the passage of time fairly well minus things like robots with laser and various special effects like the fire ant invasion.

I watched a couple of episodes of the new series but couldn't really get into it. Maybe it's the odd object name pop ups or maybe the attempt to be stylish. Macgyver was never about being stylish -it was about getting the job gone.

Ah, SG1 and Atlantis... how I have missed thee. I really don't know how they could've replaced the action/adventure theme with the paranoid backstabbing crap that was SGU. Although it ended on a fairly interesting note. Terrible waste of an intellectual property.

ZhaWarudo likes this.
  9. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    The old Macgyver was great! It inspired a whole generation of doers and thinkers, people who would do something to solve a problem instead of waiting for instructions. For a whole generation, Macgyver was not only a household name, but also a verb. Instead of just "I'm a Macgyver sort of guy", people also said, "I'm gonna macgyver this fridge until it becomes a chicken cannon."

If you ask if it's still worth watching, the answer is definitely yes. Even though technology has advanced into semiconductors and nanoscale architecture, you can still enjoy it for the entertainment factor as well as the methods used to solve problems.

You know, like how object-oriented programming helps reduce bugs by teaching students to write cleaner codes. It helps teach you how to think.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    ZhaWarudo likes this.
  10. ZhaWarudo

Reading List:
    Link
    Mkay gonna watch it my buddy I guess, he wants to watch everything broforce-related XD

11. John Wick

John Wick Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The old MacGyver tv show was very charming and informative. The new one not so much. I would avoid it. Modern version of MacGyver would be "Burn Notice". I would recommend watching Burn Notice.

There's a MacGyver handbook on the market, kinda old but i keep it in my med kit box.

Ai chan likes this.
  12. SublimeWay

SublimeWay Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Attempting a lot of the Macgyver shenanigans these days would probably result in you being put on a watch list of some sort. Then again the same might happen if you watch FPSRussia.

13. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    If you're talking about the original one, then I guess watching it now would be enjoyable in three cases:
    1. You watched it in the past and liked it.
    2. You haven't watched it before but are old enough to relate to the time period it was produced and set in.
    3. You're into retro series and don't mind outdated tech.

Otherwise, I doubt you'd like it.
    There is a new version of the show now. It is set in current times, with new technology. You might always try that. Personally, I found it repulsing.

14. ZhaWarudo

Reading List:
    Link
    1. no
    2. I'm 25 which is actually not old enough for this one unless I watched it as a kid...
    3. no
    4.I don't like milking the old cow

15. jgfenix

jgfenix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I never saw it as an action series. True, there are fights and explosions but it's more about adventure and creativity. I think it has more in common with Mission Impossible (the original series, not the narcissistic movies with Tom Cruise) or Ocean's movies.