Discussion New WSJ Flagship series?

Discussion in 'Manga Discussion' started by no168_92, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Pythagoras Theorem

Pythagoras Theorem Horse (?)

Reading List:
    Link
    Gintama is best WSJ manga \o/

I also like kuroko no basuke \o/

I liked Death Note but dropped it after L died :(
    Bakuman was amazing~

There was this one manga that I liked about kendo WSJ about kendo but I cba to look for the title :D But I do remember it being cut off pretty quickly. The ending was obviously rushed lol

Hmm.. can't really think of any other WSJ manga off the top of my head. I don't really read Boku no Hero, bleach, naruto, dragon ball, souma, nisekoi, to love ru and all that~

2. animanaicT

animanaicT Nobody Important

Reading List:
    Link
    Well if you subscribed to WSJ through vizmedia there is a jump start (new manga) every week or other week, maybe one of these will take on becoming the big three... Personally looking forward to them

3. promicent

promicent Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    WSJ=Wall Street Journal *source: pewdiepie:p

4. Em_Rez

Em_Rez Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Initial D and Prince of Tennis aren't as good as they used to be

5. Ananya

Ananya Top lvl Gokiburi Buster

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think there will be any three series replacing Naruto, Onepiece and Bleach. Because what they did was irreplacable, after DBZ, it was these three series which put japanese manga on the map(kinda like Jiang Chen throwing open the doors to realm of immortality from saint origin). Now that the manga/anime is popular, there isn't gonna be only three series which would be known World Wide. After the big three became popular World Wide, so many series have become popular. Like Attack on Titan being the most prominent one, there are also Fairy Tail, Magi, Nanatsu no Taizai, Boku no Hero Academia, etc

The point is a whole different type of mangas/animes across various genres are gonna become popular.

6. GenericName

GenericName Generic Title

Reading List:
    Link
    This is very well possible, since gintama is so damn random, that it feels as if that plot was added to the comedy and not the other way around.
    Also since it is so random, it could simply lead to another gag arc and new main arc etc.

zeus likes this.
  7. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    given japan's manga/novel scene, i don't think paperback mangas are dying within foreseeable future. korean's manhwa seen a small by comparison, so to survive, they had to turn to online.

i'm am quite skeptical to boruto to become new flagship, with its 'bad start' at 'killing' naruto/sasuke. readers grew with those. killing them off essentially expelling former readers interest. 25years of 'i want to become hokage' and when finally achieved the dream, he was killed by a greenhorn? w-t-f to that.

FT and UQ holder are not wsj's though :sweat:

8. GenericName

GenericName Generic Title

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol what they killed them ???
    Damn they had the chance to do sth. new but no, lets copy Naruto.

A boy needs a dead father

runsing likes this.
  9. telobakar

telobakar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    what with this T-L-R darkness ending?
    lol i don't really read manga since a year ago, so its kind of depressing that i know it is ending at novel forum lol

about flagship i don't really have comment
    but good manga that i really like right now is Darwin's Game but it is seinen lol
    for shounen the save and steady manga is gag/action or sport
    to aim for flagship will make it really hard to be popular because right now there is so many manga that has similar to those three so the market is too overwhelmed by similar manga that the reader is really bored with the genre lol

for WSJ they should not focus on those three now but to make various genre with same proportion than to overwhelm reader with similar thing with only different packaging
    directly compete with Sunday in romance sector is good too
    just do something innovative

no168_92 likes this.
  10. willuwontu

willuwontu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've actually stopped reading Manga for the past few months, and there's not a series I actually miss. (Except for shokugeki, that was the stuff there)

11. Phantom Starlight

Phantom Starlight The Guiding Light

Reading List:
    Link
    Currently none really sticks out at me personally although there is fairyTail

While I personally have no interest in the story (not since several years ago when I dropped it. This was before it had an anime) I think its probably the closest one. It has many of the key points, one of which being "adventure" which Boku no Hero academia kinda lacks. Fights. Which some like Sokugeki don't really do. (Another series I dropped before it even had an anime) And an annoying MC who gets a random powerup due to NAKAMA POWER. It also DOES have a lot of fanservice which as much as I hate it, is a must for the popular series these days. (Even One Piece adds it here and there. actually ever since boa hancock appeared all the women in the series started using her as a base model, going more from "cute" designs to "hot") Theres quite a few other traits Fairy Tail has that makes it a candidate for "flagship" as well, but again. Its not a series i actually like.

Ugh, This post is a mess.

12. Daike1234

Daike1234 THE GUY WHO TRANSLATE WITH THE HELP OF MACHINES

Reading List:
    Link
    Thought you mean wall street journal, i almost got triggered.

#istandwithpewdiepie

13. rei_hunter

rei_hunter Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Its either

Yuragi Yuna

Shokugeki no Soma

and my personal favourite

Youkai Shoujo Monsuga!

14. Solracmar

Solracmar Zzzzzzz

Reading List:
    Link
    I cant say . Now read more seinin. ....
    If you really want to know ask a kid. When you reach the light novel you normaly is older só the people on this fórum will never guess it right.

15. Xvenic

Xvenic Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    no I meant as shonen manga author, they have their project right now..

There's such a case afterall:
    Ito ogure make TT serialized in ultra jump where as AG in WSM.. though it's rarely happen...
    Even if akamatsu and hiro works always got serialized in WSM.. it's worth mentioning..

yep T-L-R Darkness ended with quite a cliffhanger.. at least, for me its quite cliffhanger...

for flagship, TBH I just hope they transfer series from other jump magazine to WSJ such as owari no seraph from jump sq.. might save wsj

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    no168_92 and runsing like this.
  16. mio

mio just me

Reading List:
    Link

of course!! how could i forget =O *facepalms*

17. Droma

Droma Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Right now there is nothing that looks like a traditional flagship from what I can see. Boku no Hero Academia is good but not just not that good. Fairy tail is flagship level but it's not part of weekly shounen jump and it's almost over anyway. Gintama is moving towards the end but it was always gag.

I really can't think of any manga right now with the potential to really replace Bleach and Naruto for people.

For me right now all I really keep up with are Red Storm and The Gamer which are both Manwha anyway. I was really liking world trigger before that stopped being updated. Berserk is still good but that is not shounen and only comes out once every couple months.

18. Casi

Casi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Awwww.... thought this was about the Wall Street Journal.... DISAPPOINTED!!!!

Omnifarious likes this.
  19. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
  20. Saol

Saol [The Six Sect★Founder]

Reading List:
    Link
    ... flagship? Only One Piece. The others are not deserving it or not part of WSJ. (Well, I'll agree on Haikyuu but as it's a sports manga I don't think it will meet the requirements for being flagship)
    Toriko- had it been in a different era, would've been flagshiped, but it's ended and all that...
    Maybe a few more months for a flagship to appear?...
    We'll see...