Discussion NU Community! Let's make a game!

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Arbiten, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Quaesitor

Quaesitor [Scholar]

Reading List:
    Link
    Seems interesting! I would suggest that depending on how big the character is, he can hit easier/harder and take more/less damage. Concerning the races, how about: Golems (low intelligence, high health); Homunculi (low health, highly adaptive, can change own body); Dryads (won't be attacked by most animals, can control plants to attack); Oni (high physical stats, low magical stats) and Mimics (can cloak themselves as objects, if they are equipment they can either be symbiotic or parasitic, if they are things like chests perform surprise attacks)
    Other things I think are good: Barriers and barricades so that one can fortify certain positions, to a certain amount self-defense of an offline character, permadeath through suicide so that one can truly restart, a magic specialization based on the Wu Xing and possibly an underground map.

2. kurisomething

kurisomething Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    We should all start to think of this as some accomplishable, because too ambiguous ideas would be very difficult to Programm, especially if it's never been done before, but that doesn't really matter does it, Programmer-san?

3. Arbiten

Arbiten ✯The Protagonist✯

Reading List:
    Link
    Link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5hf5swfnb6ar2br/AAARc7gBEc2Mm21jx1spNvSGa?dl=0

I finally bought hosting! This application is to test logging in and registering.

Please only set up one account, you do not need to put your real info in, but it would help to make your username the same as your NU name.

There are instructions on the app by clicking the bottom button.

I will keep the DB active for a day or two before deleting, as this is just to test it.

On a side note:
    The game will be called "Altrian Tales" as the world is called "Altria". The domain is altriantales.co.uk, but it's still under construction website wise.

4. Asakura Ouryuu

Asakura Ouryuu 【Eternal Lurker】【Lily's】【Shady Merchant】

Reading List:
    Link
    Good to hear~ Too bad my exam won't end until next Thursday... But after that I'll gladly help with the testing~

5. Arbiten

Reading List:
    Link
    Please ignore the previous link, it no longer exists. There was a slight security flaw in it. The one below is fixed.

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3v6f1c6brghczbr/AABx2Zf020gmaViX_irfNqROa?dl=0

For the record, all passwords are salted and hashed. No plain text passwords are sent to the server. Despite coding the app, even I can't find out your passwords once you've registered.

6. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?

It's just beta right? Just make it so you store a database of passwords... So it's easy to log on to our accounts to see if you experience the same things we do

7. Arbiten

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not beta or alpha yet, I'll release an alpha version later on which will only have basic levels and exploration available.

Right now I'm just testing some stuff. I wanted to practice security as well, because a lot of people use the same passwords for everything.

If I didn't salt and hash them and a hacker got in, they'd know your email and password and if someone had the same password for everything, it wouldn't end too well xD

By the way. Although I don't know your passwords, I can edit the database to set it to whatever I like. So I can easily get onto other peoples accounts if needed.

Bangobombz likes this.
  8. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, good point....

Well, I can't test it while I'm in China, so I hope it works for others...

9. Arbiten

Reading List:
    Link
    On holiday?

10. Asakura Ouryuu

Asakura Ouryuu 【Eternal Lurker】【Lily's】【Shady Merchant】

Reading List:
    Link
    Good~ I do use the same password for several game sites, so knowing this make me relieved~ I'll be waiting for that alpha version~

11. Arbiten

Reading List:
    Link
    Good ideas. Particularly golems and such. Having the ability to create golems for defense would be cool. Anti-monster barriers would also be a nice idea.

12. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea

13. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, anti-monster barriers sound like bullshit unless you have a very good lore-wise reason. Such as it blocks mana stones in them from entering

14. Arbiten

Reading List:
    Link
    Glad to hear it!

Salting and hashing is one of the most secure ways to store passwords, because even if a hacker get's hold of it, it's impossible to decrypt and It would take an extremely long time to crack.

Well, I'm just playing around with some user ideas. People are free to debate and suggest their own. I'll run changes such as this against a poll to see what the majority would prefer.

If people want to suggest lore or ideas which you don't want others to see, feel free to PM me. I'm planning on some hidden goodies as well, hidden within the world, so feel free to suggest some as well.

15. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    Easter Egg No.1:
    "Don't Dead Open Inside" is written on the gates of an undead dungeon

16. Carm

Carm Drip drop, when will time stop

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for your hard work!

17. Arbiten

Reading List:
    Link
    altriantales.co.uk

For updates and such for the game. I'm building the world right now and have already sorted out player creation.

18. noisypixy

noisypixy Sacatunn que pen, que summum que tun.

Reading List:
    Link
    This might be interesting.

Developers can do this without knowing your password, so don't worry.

19. noisypixy

noisypixy Sacatunn que pen, que summum que tun.

Reading List:
    Link
    This is only true if you're using a slow function like PBKDF2 or Argon2.

20. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, to quote the thing I wrote in the Contact form if it doesn't work...

What the hell is the second box for in the "Name" section?
    Also, when half-screened, the image with the 3 horizontal bars next to "Altrian Tales" does not create a drop down menu to select either ‘Home’, ‘News’, or 'Contact'. It is very misleading so I would appreciate if you would either implement that function or remove it.