NUF Programming Club's Learning Corner

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by holyshin, Mar 3, 2017.

1. NeoUsui

NeoUsui [Melon Lord] [Unrivaled Super Hottie]

Reading List:
    Link
    My Journey on the Path of Programming had barely started and far from over \(*^*)9

2. noisypixy

noisypixy Sacatunn que pen, que summum que tun.

Reading List:
    Link
    By the way, HackerRank is a nice place to practice.

Truerror and NeoUsui like this.
  3. level0

level0 New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello guys, I would like to join the club. Currently learning Java.

4. Qt

Qt Qt is cute

Reading List:
    Link
    For telegram users, channel @javaebooks can be a resource, I think.
    Or, you can find any open directories that may carry them.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  5. Qt

Qt Qt is cute

Reading List:
    Link
  6. holyshin

holyshin Moderator

Reading List:
    Link
  7. NeoUsui

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello, folks~! So I've been progressing my HTML practice these days (not really, I got semester test these past two weeks) BUT, I didn't neglect my HTML practice! (I hope this won't drag my grades down seriously) and I kinda stumble on a little trouble here~

I'm trying to make a web page like NU's homepage where the view will change depends on your device or your browser window's width.
    From this one:
    [​IMG]

to this one:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I always thought that those fluid sidebars are cool....anyway, can I make that by using HTML and CSS alone or do I need something else? I want to know how to make the sidebar shifts to down below when the window size changes. Anyone got a solution? Please?:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

EDIT: Here's the code I'm currently working : Code Playground
    You can see that it's a mess. I originally working on it with a sublime text, and open it on my browser on fullscreen. But, then I saw the mess when I change the window size T_T

8. MeReadin

MeReadin Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It can be done easily with bootstrap. Just google bootstrap, once you add it to your page it will offer a lot of help

NeoUsui, Truerror and udonsage like this.
  9. Truerror

Truerror Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Follow what McReadin says. Bootstrap will help you a lot. Especially if you don't plan on specializing as frontend web dev. There are other CSS frameworks out there, but in this case, just follow the majority and get Bootstrap.

Oh, and search for "responsive layout" or "responsive web design" while you're at it. Most articles that pop out in your search result should describe how it works. It will help you utilize Bootstrap better.

NeoUsui likes this.
  10. NeoUsui

Reading List:
    Link
    This might be a little late for me to ask, but, what are front-end web devs and back-end web devs?

11. holyshin

holyshin Moderator

Reading List:
    Link
    Front-end is basically building the stuff that users see and back-end is building the server sided functionality.
    [​IMG]

NeoUsui and udonsage like this.
  12. udonsage

udonsage [Underpaid Software Developer] [Lazy Novelist]

Reading List:
    Link
    Front-end devs are usually the ones making the website look pretty(mess with the ui, layout, typography, images, userability, page layout, and etc). Front-end Designer may also refer to Front-end Development but there is a slight difference between the two, usually being that front-end designer is more focus on visual while Front-end Development is a little bit more technical.

Back-End Web Developers, are usually the ones working on the server end of making the website using php, ruby, javascript, phython, asp.net and etc. The main difference between Front-end Developers and Back-end developer is usually that the Back-end Web Developers tend to interact more with developing software for databases, severs, and etc; generally they don't mess around with the UI Design of the website.

There is also a term for those that work on both the back-end and front-end which is Full-Stack Developer.

Edit: oh @holyshin beat me to it....

NeoUsui likes this.
  13. NeoUsui

Reading List:
    Link
    @_@;..........dafuq are those?

Is it too much for me to dream of being a Full-Stack Developer? Well, if continue this path now, I would most-likely be a Front-end Developer. Unless I started practicing php and stuff (which is exactly what I will do....later).

These informations are very useful. Thank you very much~

14. udonsage

udonsage [Underpaid Software Developer] [Lazy Novelist]

Reading List:
    Link
    This is the video that explains about the mind map of web technology and languages used that @holyshin posted an image of.

You could become a Full-Stack Developer but it will take some time, at least if thats what you want to do.

15. Truerror

Truerror Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Front-end developers deal with what the user will see on their browsers. As such, they deal solely with three languages: HTML, CSS, and JavaScript (though it might be a stretch to call CSS a "language", really). For example, everything you see here on NUF - the colors, the font used, the layout, the color change when you hover your mouse over a button - these are all dealt with by front-end developers.

Backend developers on the other hand, deal with everything that the users wouldn't see. The database that stores your username and password, how routes are handled*, what kind of logic should be used on the data that the user entered, and so on.

As for your other questions, yes, it does take time to be a full-stack web developer. The definition for "full-stack" itself varies. Some say that you'd need to also be knowledgeable about the workings of the server software (whether it's Apache, Nginx, IIS, or others) and how it all connects to the operating system underneath. Others say you don't, and while you must have at least a passing familiarity with how your server of choice works, you don't have to know how it works underneath - all that matters is you know how the server, your backend scripts, your database, and your frontend stack work together.

* Or at least that's traditionally how it is. With the rise of single-page web apps and full-stack devs, more and more frameworks that are traditionally categorized as front-end frameworks now provide ways to handle routing.

udonsage likes this.
  16. Aizelf

Aizelf 『....』

Reading List:
    Link
    Nice o. O... I discovered this thread today
    Other than html, can I ask questions related to python?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  17. SorakaNii

SorakaNii 『Trash Carnivore』『NEET』

Reading List:
    Link
    My advice would be just familiarize the workflow in SQL, even a simple box layout will do and you're hired.

Yahrr~ anyone who wanted to make UI for games and web. Do seek me. I can also teach how to squeeze codes. /Yahrr~

I learned boolean, if else, and many more in Warcraft by making unique skills, cinematic and maps. -SorakaNii, Grad(e) School (Effectve)

When someone said expert in JQuery, they most likely have already customized everything they could think of.
    <- Seek Teachers like this and you'll learn in just a few hours. Just to be clear, I'm not.

Is it to make it function like Java? I never used Python by the way aside from Ren'py (at least currently).

That's all for the shortcuts. I hope this helps.

18. Qt

Qt Qt is cute

Reading List:
    Link
    Ask away. If anyone can help, we'll answer.
    Though, a better place to ask is:
    reddit.com/r/learnprogramming
    stack overflow
    #python channel on freenode irc.

19. Aizelf

Aizelf 『....』

Reading List:
    Link
    stack overflow is not really for beginners imo, since the people use their own methods to solve the question, or over complicate things. I do use it if I have no clue how to solve a problem and I need a basic idea to start with.
    But I do use the python documentation.

udonsage likes this.
  20. Mau

Mau S m i l e

Reading List:
    Link
    Can someone teach us*me* hacking? XD