NUF's Programming Club

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by holyshin, Mar 2, 2017.

1. CloudySkySadMoon

CloudySkySadMoon Bald and Beautiful

Reading List:
    Link
    I shall be lurking around.

Currently burning my brain to learn java.

2. Pyoo

Pyoo ☀ Summer Melody ☀

Reading List:
    Link
    BlancFrost and iampsyx like this.
  3. halfasseduser54668456

halfasseduser54668456 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello, new here. Been using the site for a while for latest updates on novels I'm reading but never registered.

The group programming and learning part caught my eye on the latest update yesterday and it took about about a full day to get my ass up and register. I'm practically a sloth and I never had any motivation to do anything.

I'm noob in programming and hoping the group thing might motivate me somehow to learn. I hope to be in your care. I know a little about web making but I also want to learn pc programs. Game making sounds nice too. Teach me senpai *insert kawaii face desu lol*

marine1corps likes this.
  4. Owloid

Owloid Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I had some free time so I made the first two challenges. Here's the demo:
    https://owloid.github.io/NUF-Challenges/

marine1corps, Hunta and udonsage like this.
  5. Hunta

Hunta shameless

Reading List:
    Link
    u proficient with java? btw it looks more simple than what i did lol

6. shad12ow

shad12ow 『Semi-Offline』

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, this looks good. Well, I'm not that good with a particular language. I dabble in VB.NET and MSSQL for app development and now I'm with PHP, HTML, and MYSQL for a web project. Still far from intermediate level too. Just a newbie. LOL~!

7. marine1corps

marine1corps Invisible to all Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    ehhhh??? A Ceaser cipher isn't something I would call a challenge.....

edit: whoops my mistake I took a second look and its not the Ceaser cipher

8. Owloid

Owloid Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have about as much experience with java as javascript. Also, I couldn't find what you made. I assume you made it in java so it's harder to post. On the simplicity, I wanted to push it out quick.

Yeah, it is a Ceaser cipher. I was wondering about the difficulty too. I think the difficult part is decrypting when you're not given the shift, but I'm not sure. In any case I'm going to see if I can optimize the decrypter so that it's faster or at least prevent the screen from locking up.

9. holyshin

holyshin Moderator

Reading List:
    Link
    If you don't think it's a challenge try the harder one. :)

10. Wick

Wick Black van owner

Reading List:
    Link
    hey guys, I want to live here from now on, so should i learn programming ?
    I think the answer is yes jahaha

Owloid likes this.
  11. marine1corps

marine1corps Invisible to all Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    We can see your profile information on github as in your image and what college you go to. Do you actually want to share that?
    I might later, I see some code that I haven't seen before (RegExp), so instead I plan on doing research on how that works.

12. Truerror

Truerror Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That'd be nice. Someone said something about buying emojis, and that's good too. But would NUF's owner let us tinker around their DB? Or do they provide an API for these stuffs?

Are you in the software industry or, at least, interested in programming (as a hobby, perhaps)? If so, you might want to check stackoverflow.com. The mods there are really strict about enforcing the rules, so might be intimidating for new users, but it is the de facto "place" to go for all your programming questions. A really useful site.

13. holyshin

holyshin Moderator

Reading List:
    Link
    No, to both. If we were to add emojis, it would have to be similar to how better twitch tv does it in that we'd make a user extension that would display the emojis. At the moment I can't think of how to gate non-paying users from using the emoji, but maybe I can think of something after a night's rest. Oh I suppose we could look into Xenforo add-ons maybe, but I don't have a license and can't expect everyone else to purchase Xenforo licenses for this.

Edit:
    If you were asking about my plans on designing a currency sink and interacting with NUF currency, my naive solution to it would be something like having a headless web client refresh the bank page and check for changes every so often. Users would send their desired amount over to a dummy account we use as a bank. Upon verification we generate a token and use NUF's messaging system to send the user the token so they can enter it into our site. This is done to verify that users are who they say they are. Funds (minus the NUF's inherent tax on send) can then be used on whatever. Users should be able to withdraw their funds via a button on our site which would then prompt the bank bot to transfer said funds.

Of course, once again, this is only my naive interpretation to the problem. If anyone has a better suggestion it would very much be appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  14. Truerror

Truerror Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Cloudflare would bitch and moan if we were to try and make that kind of bot. If it has to do with NUF, some form of cooperation from the site's owner is still necessary, unfortunately.

I think the best project would be something separate from NUF - or at least, from the site itself. If I were to offer my opinion, I'd say something like a "job posting" site? Where translators can "hire" editors, or make themselves available to the general masses to "hire", and paid per chapter? Though this is virtual currency, so obviously the translators and editors are doing volunteer work here. Basically, a buffed up version of NUF's Translator's Corner + Novel Pickup Request

idgetsxx likes this.
  15. halfasseduser54668456

halfasseduser54668456 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm how bout we build a realtime chat thingy as a group project as a start to help us communicate faster when making all the other future projects.

I mean forums are nice and all but I imagine the complexity of what our projects might be probably requires a more efficient exchange of infos. Also that teaching noobies thing will probably flood the forum thread with back and forth messages so chats might be less messy in that regard..

I know we can just use an existing chat platform but we're training in programming here. And because we have full control of the code we can integrate what we do into other projects as well. What do you think guys?

16. holyshin

holyshin Moderator

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not impossible. There are bots that autopost on here, but at the same time I'm not sure making something like that public would be healthy for the community.
    I think that's a pretty good starter project that even the complete beginners could help us with. If we don't want to deal with the bot, we can have it on the honor system and have users send their bounties to each other privately. I don't think it matters much as a mock-site to begin with.

As a followup later down the road, I'm thinking about a productivity tool for translator's, something to make the translation pipeline easier. It'd be a platform where TL's can put up their translations and make different user groups for editors, proofcheckers, and whoever else. When the TL is ready for the chapter to be editted they can hit a button which would give editors access to the chapter, when editors are done they can hit another button for proofcheckers. This should be generalized though to whatever user groups the TL sets. We then generalize the public as a final user group, although maybe publishing should have it's own button. The tool should also allow translation groups to set a specific time and date for their releases if they so desire.

idgetsxx and Owloid like this.
  17. holyshin

holyshin Moderator

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd like for the club to stay NUF community oriented though. Making discussion on a 3rd party platform would create divisions in the group and segregate users that don't or can't end up using the chat. To make discussion of things easier, I'll probably divide the thread into a few different smaller ones. I'm thinking 3 threads. This one will stay as a primary discussion for personal projects, new technologies, and challenge discussion. There'll be another for learning and asking for help in which I'll post some tutorials for people who are fresh to programming. And the third will be all discussion related to the current and future projects.

Owloid likes this.
  18. noisypixy

noisypixy Sacatunn que pen, que summum que tun.

Reading List:
    Link
    LMAO! Don't advance to Vigenère if you don't want to receive the wrath of @GM_Rusaku.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  19. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    here some work from me :sneaky:
    make a "monopoly" with novels.....with this rules

-the game last 2 week or 1 month after that is reseted
    -there is no limit of number of player or make a limit with a large number
    -take x top ranked novel an use those as propriety based on the ranking it's value rise(buying price),better if there are more novels
    -player are required to have a starting capitals of 1000$/2000$ for playing
    -player have to use their money to buy propriety(novels) and they can sell it to other people based on the rules of the game (the first time someone buy the propriety that is ownerless the money will be split at the end of the game based on the rank, a sort of prize)
    -inactive player(3 day or a week) who own novels, will automaticaly forfeit the game and they propriety will be sold
    -players can build house and hotels after owning at least 2 novels (basicaly they can raise the price of the tax by 5$ for every house and 10$ for hotels)
    -all the other player have to pay a tax(5$ maybe)for opening the page of the novel to the player who own the novel (people who don't partecipate to the game have to pay 10$ at the and of the game for the prize that will be divided based on the rank)
    -there will be two ranks, one for those who made more money, and another or who made money without spending more than the starting capitals

and other rule can be added or revised later since this is only an idea for a game on nuf, after all the money can't realy be used for anything...and since people who don't partecipate in the comunity games have no use for the money it's will be transferd to those who have use for it...

holyshin likes this.
  20. noisypixy

noisypixy Sacatunn que pen, que summum que tun.

Reading List:
    Link
    Btw, unless NU implements something like OAuth, it'll be impossible to make any application that requires access to an user's account (e.g. for transferring money) without giving it complete control over that account.

And I don't think NU will ever implement this.

There's prior work for that, more or less:

https://github.com/cloudiirain/onigiri

The repository is abandoned, but it may be of help for some things.