Discussion Right & Wrong Think Tank- Suicide

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by HesheFell, Mar 23, 2017.

1. HesheFell

HesheFell [Out of Retirement] [Looking for Recs Everywhere]

Reading List:
    Link
    I noticed that it has become a thing to make right and wrong a subject of perspective. It has become acceptable to say, "to you, it may be right and to someone else, it may be wrong." I started listening to podcast commentary and it really started bothering me as I went through the playlist. What kind of commentary runs from making honest comments? So I am making this post because of that. This is a serious discussion. Never thought about the topic? Elaborate on why? And why not think about it today? I think saying you never thought about it is another technique for avoidance. Do think so? Why not?

Today I want to talk about suicide. Here's what I think:
    In many cultures and different societies, it's considered wrong to kill yourself. After so many winds and storms, I came to the conclusion, that's okay. As long as you don't kill other people or traumatize someone else by doing it in front of them, I don't really care. The opinions I used to agree with, that explained the selfishness of suicide, I ultimately concluded was hogwash. Your life is your own; not your family nor your friends are living your life. And of course, not mine either, which doubles why I don't care. The people you know may be sad, and then they'll move on. They may remember you, but life goes on. The rare person(s) who can't move on probably would stumble over some other road block in life anyway and still stand still. In my opinion, those people aren't worth being worried about. But on the other hand, everybody else will grow up. They will have kids, make a family, have a career, trip over some stumbling blocks, get up and become more mature as a result. But you, you'll be dead. You have to take care of your own life. Not even your parents can take care of you, no matter what the law says. So I always feel people need to think carefully. Not knowing other people's experience, I won't say that it is wrong to kill yourself. But I cannot say in good faith, it's right. I think people who want to suicide should think about who they are living their life for. 10 years ago, I considered killing myself. Today, someone will have to kill me because I'll be damned if I am going to take myself out.

Pyoo, Aiiee, Hilltopy and 6 others like this.
  2. doomeye1337

doomeye1337 /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ Incubator, the messenger of magic~

Reading List:
    Link
    eh, that's why many people have guns here in the states... it's an easy way out later on if you get too tired of living. I'm def keeping it in mind as an option down the line if I start to feel like my faculties are regressing to the point of not being able to do anything by myself and I am stuck with unbearable constant pain. At that point, suicide is a last "hurrah, my body is mine, you asshat age goblins!". I'm still hoping to peacefully pass away in my sleep of old age without the pain, humiliation, etc. but chances of that are super low.

xalienxgamerx likes this.
  3. Ken The One-Eyed Suicidal

Ken The One-Eyed Suicidal 「ZA ROYAL ROASTER」「ZEE KOUHAI」

Reading List:
    Link
    For me, suicide if you want to if not then don't.
    I wouldn't interfere in both situations, as that person's life is his/hers and not anyone else's.

4. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    See...This is why perspective exists. I can guarantee that people exist in this world who will feel that the points stated by you are actually wrong. For example,I feel that my life is not only mine. There are people depending on my being alive. I don't know if you understand what this means. So all I can say to avoid further meaningless arguments... Perspectives~~

asriu, Wujigege and Arcturus like this.
  5. Shance

Shance 『Trying to evade the wall in the front』『Failing』

Reading List:
    Link
    I think this is the greatest argument against suicide. (y)

I lean towards Informed Prochoice

Killing yourself through impulse makes it so that there is no chance of getting better.

I am not against suicide if the person actually thinks through it and tries to get better.
    Or is in so much pain that not killing himself would be worse, or have a sickness that makes you unable to live your life like you want.

I think most suicides are through heavy losses or social pressure. But having such pressure makes you unable to think, makes you unable to have a clear head and decide well.

Which is why people don't accept suicide I think, since there are few truly hopeless situations.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    asriu, Hilltopy, HesheFell and 4 others like this.
  6. amalirom

amalirom Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Suicide - A cowards way out.

Shem, Wujigege, DCLXVII and 3 others like this.
  7. Airye

Airye Hermit Water Elementalist

Reading List:
    Link
    Before doing anything, think about your familly... I think losing his child is the most horrible and painful thing that can happen to someone.

8. Jaded

Jaded Majoring in Erology

Reading List:
    Link
    This bit...ugh.

I don't believe that suicide is wrong...but it isn't a solution either. If a person is suffering from an incurable disease that would make him suffer for his entire life and wishes to die, then I'd support him.

But...when I read about fuckers commiting suicide cos their parents did not buy them the latest phone or something...I'd say save them. Then have someone beat them half dead.

Suicide can only be forgiven if there is truly no option. Committing suicide cos you failed an exam or had a bad break up...not as bad as the previous example, but it's still pathetic.

9. Ken The One-Eyed Suicidal

Ken The One-Eyed Suicidal 「ZA ROYAL ROASTER」「ZEE KOUHAI」

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe, but I wouldn't judge anyone who committed suicide, be that person close to me or not.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    xalienxgamerx likes this.
  10. lygarx

lygarx Lazy Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    Valar Morghulis. All men must die.

The only thing left is how do you want to die. A victim, martyr, saint, a warrior, hero, peacefully, in pain, with honor.
    Just know that Suicide is the cowards way out. Dying in the process of committing an act of violence against the helpless does not make you a martyr. A martyr is more of someone who had violence forced upon them, not one who died in the process of forcing violence on others.

11. Diukes

Diukes The Details will be omitted

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree, even more if you have family and you're in hard situation - i have heared recently about father of family killing himself becouse of debts - now he left his family alone with it. That was seriously cowardly

chencking likes this.
  12. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    Like Shance said, stress happens. If you can't recover a bit from taking a vacation with family and friends for a few weeks, then nobody is going to be able to stop you I guess. I have never understood why people suicide rather than get euthanized though. Neither appeal to me, but euthanasia is much cleaner.

13. lucjanssens

lucjanssens a very ¨rabbit¨ bunny

Reading List:
    Link
    Euthanasia is legal in my country

14. Tulihunt

Tulihunt Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that a persons life is their own since they are not a property of anyone. When it comes to suicide, I would go out with a bang after fulfilling my dreams, no matter how ridiculous or illegal they are. Though that is what life is (fulfilling your dreams and then dying of age)

15. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh? Is it though? Is there even a point to your life? Don't we exist to just exist? The ones who are blessed to change the world are few and even then those who do are even more scarce. It's not like everyone lives happy and perfect lives either...You do not know what people suffer through and I dare you to suffer what they do and not even have a wish to kys...

mir likes this.
  16. Kuroguma

Kuroguma [Cyber Lich] [Aspie] [SOX][Forgotten Perv]

Reading List:
    Link
    Suicide, a permanent solution to temporary problems.

17. Aebriol

Aebriol Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Look up absolute versus relative morality.

I am a strong believer in relative morality. And that means that right and wrong is a matter of perspective. Doesn't mean people don't have strong opinions, or firm beliefs, but that I recognize that those are based on the culture and era in which you live. If I was raised 300 years ago I would expect to have different values, and the same if I was raised in a very different culture / nation.

As for suicide; your life, do whatever you want. You don't have an obligation to continue existing to please other people. Just don't drag anyone else down with you.

In practice, though, it is often the case that it is a temporary thing. I am in favor of requiring a year between saying "I don't want to live" and a doctor assisting you in carrying it out. But, you know, whatever.

18. Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr [Aruruu's proud dad] [The False Gentleman]

Reading List:
    Link
    i love my family too much to ever kill myself. even if i was in a really bad situation, depressed or smashed rock bottom, i'd rather face the full brunt rather than dragging my family into the mud.
    you think the people would care the reason why i commit suicide? they don't. to them i'm just another kid who commits suicide. would they comfort my family for losing a son, they won't. because thats the hottest gossip to make them feel better about themselves.
    i'm alive because of my family and i'm living for my family.

asriu, hayyan, Prime43 and 3 others like this.
  19. Megajoke

Megajoke Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Use a gun otherwise you could live, and then it's going to be an awkward conversation in the hospital

20. RR Vocaloid

RR Vocaloid RoyalRoad.com Slepragt

Reading List:
    Link
    Guns are legal in my country. Much cheaper than euthanasia.

xalienxgamerx and lucjanssens like this.