Discussion [SERIOUS] Let's brainstorm a better way to translate "Face"

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Sythellri, Aug 20, 2016.

?

How do you feel about "Face?"

1. It could be translated better.

2. It's fine the way it is.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aridharma

aridharma Hikikomori NEET

Reading List:
    Link
    i think when a 'word' that hard to translate you can just use as it but explain it at side note. it can keep what author want to reader understand or receive.

2. aridharma

aridharma Hikikomori NEET

Reading List:
    Link
    it also work on JP novel' -san, sama, chan. it are how the author build some mood.
    it will decrease loot of quality when TL try to delete or change it

runsing likes this.
  3. Aternus

Aternus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I dont understand, the chinese concept of face is the same as the english one...

xalienxgamerx likes this.
  4. pandicorn

pandicorn ® Ruler of Gay Pandas ®

Reading List:
    Link
    First thing that came to mind. Seriouly, let's not

_Selutu_, xalienxgamerx and runsing like this.
  5. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    well every culture has a term for that. . . and i guess saving face in English is closest. . .
    i vote for Face!

6. tahuti

tahuti Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Was looking at http://www.thefreedictionary.com/face to see if there are any good synonyms, and face can appear in 3 meanings:

1-
    good reputation; dignity; prestige.; outward show or pretense.
    self-respect, respect, reputation, dignity, standing, authority, image, regard, status, honour, esteem, prestige, self-image, mana
    worth in the eyes of others; dignity (esp in the phrases lose or save face)
    Value or standing in the eyes of others; prestige: did their best to save face after they were shown to be wrong; did not want to lose face by being unable to live up to his reputation.
    lose face, to suffer humiliation.
    save face, to escape from humiliation.
    status in the eyes of others;

2-
    Self-assurance; confidence: The team managed to maintain a firm face even in times of great adversity.

3-
    impudent aggressiveness;
    Effrontery; impudence: had the face to question my judgment.
    (Informal) impudence, front, confidence, audacity, nerve, neck (informal), sauce (informal), cheek (informal), assurance, gall (informal), presumption, boldness, chutzpah (U.S. & Canad. informal), sass (U.S. & Canad. informal), effrontery, brass neck (Brit. informal), sassiness (U.S. informal) I haven't the face to borrow off him.

7. tocos10

tocos10 Even more then the greatest Poster

Reading List:
    Link
    Face is the best.

8. Jarrow

Jarrow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah - I considered expanding on the emotional(social) vs physical aspects of Threat, but decided not to - both are included often enough in the Xianxia / Wuxia genres we read, if not in Real Life, anyway. Given my initial post was already reaching book-report length. I've had to learn to avoid writing thesis' in internet discussions. : )

Interestingly enough with your second example regarding friends or allies: frequently the closer the people are, the more they demand that they NOT 'show face' between them. You can see examples all the time in giving serious gifts and favors, where the one giving will insist that the receiver not decline, and the receiver will accept 'ok, I'll not show you face then' or 'then I'll be rude', etc. That was one of the elements that I took to imply that face was perceived to have some social cost, and was considered a negative in close relationships where trust was paramount over threat/benefit - which led me right back to the initial premise: that Face is equivalent to the Potential Threat.

9. Sena

Sena Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I disagree, I'd definitely read a hip-hop xianxia story. Legendary spirit bling, forbidden breakdance techniques, the MC (pun intended) decimating entire armies with his Nine Phoenixes Jade Turntables, meditating on the dao of funk, entire sects coughing up blood as they hear his heaven-defying rhymes.

Hacalyhd likes this.
  10. Demonic Reader lv 451F

Demonic Reader lv 451F 蝶醒, 梦未.

Reading List:
    Link
    facepalm.jpg Hmm .. think. think. think. think ............

what would happened if we changed face to honor or respect?

we will have to live with honorbook or respectbook instead of facebook !!

can't not accept that!!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  11. Kagamiya

Kagamiya I Wish to be Reincarnated

Reading List:
    Link
    No, I think face is better. I am an Indonesian and in our culture honor and respect can be worded by face some phrase like "Muka Tembok"and "Rai Gedek" in Javanese, in English it is "Wall face" and it means "Shameless". In Asia culture, I think face represents the honor and dignity of people as it is.

12. Dreken01

Dreken01 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!

Astaroth likes this.
  13. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think the Translators themselves should do it though, there should like be editors who make abridged versions of already translated novels imo.

I was actually wondering if there was someone doing that the other day, seems like the thing which is even remotely close are the spoiler / summary documents or whatever.

Sadly there really isn't even a point to read those instead of the actual story, since they completely replace the story with just a bunch of one-line descriptions of what happens in the novel.

Would be cool if I could read BTTH, CSG, and similar without endlessly long monologues, descriptions of how different Qi is fighting in the meridians during breakthrough and so on.

14. Lyase

Lyase Caelum Codex

Reading List:
    Link
    Op is retarded, even hong kongers are saying "no face(ie)"....

15. Sythellri

Sythellri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why are you even bothering to post? You have nothing conductive to add to the discussion and absolutely no business being here in this thread. You are the only person who has insulted someone else.

We are talking about possibly translating face differently. I don't even know why an idiot like you would mention Hong Kong.

In fact, I don't even know why I'm bothering to respond to your obvious troll.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.