Sites for writing your first light novel (or stories)?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Bunseth168, Oct 19, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bunseth168

Bunseth168 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    >_>" i hate those types of stories too, i want to write something the MC have to earn through his effort (or die...hmm...now that i mention, i might kill my own MC! ~_~" opps. Gotta to rewrite from scratch. World i built is too harsh.

2. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    @J-Mitch you looking for authors?

I might be one of the detractors of RRL. I'm not a fan of the community's culture.

3. Bunseth168

Reading List:
    Link
    Look bro! I am clean! I got no dirty thoughts in my mind! Yes! I mean the act of reproduction is not arousing me one bit!! I am a med student, biology is a must! Yes yes! That is right! Totally essential for furthering my education. (/ToT)/ you gotta believe me bro!
    O.O ohhhh! Those look informative! Thank dude...or..madam...or sis.. o.o i am going to assume you are a girl cuz of the avatar since my avatar is....a erected manhood after i put some personal info

4. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
  5. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Girl, thank you for the consideration.
    Oh, true, I had forgotten about it, good reminder Arc-chan!

Bunseth168 likes this.
  6. Bunseth168

Reading List:
    Link
    Forgive me if i bother you. It is just that i got some..dark experience with traps on the internet. (^_^")

7. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    You didn't bother me, don't worry about it.

8. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    Also as a point, while I may not like RRL or think of it as "good," it's probably the best thing out there right now for a new author, particularly one who doesn't want to invest a great deal of time and energy into self-promotion.

9. ClearMadness

ClearMadness Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I do recommend RoyalRoadL. They are far from perfect but everywhere else is worse. They also have a large ESL user base and an active community for authors trying to improve. If you want feedback then that is most likely where you will get it. It also sounds like your plot fits what the people there like.

I've used most other sites so if you have any questions I can explain exactly why they are crap :p

fuzor100 and Bunseth168 like this.
  10. J-Mitch

J-Mitch ⚖ Tipping the Scales of the World

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh. Indeed I am looking for authors @Arcturus.

@Bunseth168

Mass Content Sites (ex. RoyalRoadL; Wattpad)

Look, RoyalRoadL is a great site for marketing your novel. They average around 4 million views per day. Amazing right? But if that's so, why are there conflicting views on such amazing sites like that? Even Wattpad has heat bearing against it.

Problem:

The problem with RoyalRoadL & Wattpad is that there are too many ongoing novels and not even half of them are any good. Some are well made, most of those are dropped halfway. If you don't market your novel well within the sphere of that site, or even outside of those sites, your novel may not get much attraction. And so, your novel, as great as it may be, might become that lost diamond in the rough.

These site just can't market you novel well enough since they have so many who also need marketing unless you are willing to pay!

I'm not saying for you to avoid posting on site like RoyalRoadL. Posting on RoyalRoadL is almost a given. It provides too much of an opportunity for you to get more views when you are just starting off. But every time you release a new chapter, you may have thousands that will see your novel, but you have to recall that you are out of hundreds of other novels that are also being updated. And as quickly as you have pressed that submit new chapter button, is as quickly as more chapter releases are piled on and no one sees it. So, yeah. Maybe those who have already bookmarked the novel would be able to keep track of you, but what about those who don't even know you exist?

Personalized Sites:

That's where posting on other sites come into play. Authors place their novels on RoyalRoadL; Wattpad, use WebFictionGuide for Reviews and votes after each released chapter to keep readers actively involved, but also place their work on more personalized sites.

You can place donations quite easily, and extra content that you would not be able to on other platforms, and also utilize alternative sites (less functions) that have a lot of viewers, but not as much competition.

Problem:

Problem is, the web is a content driven society. You can have the best quality novel, but if you are starting out with only a few chapters, you are not going to get much traffic, even with 20-30 chapters. Not many would bother to go out their way to some desolate site in a small corner of the web when everything can be found at sites like RoyalRoadL.

Solution:

This is where Groups come into play. Groups are like the middleman between Personalized Sites and general Mass Content Sites.

They have a decent amount of diverse content to attract and maintain a large and diverse readership base. And since the content is not as massive as sites like RoyalRoadL, it is quite easy for readers to find your novel. You see this trend working with Translation groups, Music Groups, animations, manga, and even art.

Fantasy-Books (we are looking to host translation groups too)

Our team at Fantasy-Books is a group that offers such services, and even goes a step further.

Stripping to the bare essentials, our site (for originals) mostly has three types of authors.

1. Those who wish to publish
    2. Those who wish to write for fun
    3. Those who wish to hone their skills

If you are of the first group, after you finish a certain amount of chapters, we would help you self-publish your novel (cover all the expenses if you use our publishing methods) and even may help design a book cover for you if you don't have one already (when you are in the final editing phase).

If you are the second group, great! We create personal pages/ sections with unique designs. If you have a patreon/ paypal or another sponsorship service, or wish to make one, we can assist with that. We add your novel to Fantasy-Updates, where readers will see recent updates of your novels like they do in novelupdates quite easily. This is also done for the first group.

If you of the last group, or are doing all three, we will still love to have you. We help those gain editors and you can ask other authors, including me, on advice on what you are working on. There are some features of the site that are currently inaccessible, but once they are available, it would make it much easier to coordinate with others.

Conclusion:

Everything is about marketing. For web novels, get your novel everywhere but do so in a limited fashion. You don't want to obliterate your copyright. And by that, I mean, it is so out there, that you have lost whatever control you had on your own content.

RoyalRoadL is good for exposure. (wattpad has issues on safety of copyright. I tend to avoid them). There are many other sites too, but I don't like the look of them, so I avoid them too. lol.

Personalized sites are fine, but if there is only one novel on that site, and someone takes a glance at your synopsis and isn't interested, the likelyhood they will come back again, is almost zero.

But joining a group helps you BRAND yourself. When a reader goes to a particular website, you want them to think, "Oh! I remember I can find [insert your novel's name] here! Great!" And that's because that website's content was large, but also limited. They will remember you, and make you apart of their BRAND, and may choose to check other novels that are also on that site. Who knows, you may be one of those that they check out.

There are many times where someone has avoided a particular novel for months due to something like it's synopsis or book cover, but after seeing it dozens of times on a site they frequent, they chose to check the first chapter. And guess what? On the first chapter, they're hooked.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    Bunseth168 and Arcturus like this.
  11. Bunseth168

Reading List:
    Link
    Woah! I know your story! Hell, i read your story since you started uploading the first chap! Give me a bro fist! *brofist*

@J-Mitch
    Thank mate! That is a very detail answer. ~_~ I am the 2&3 type. I write for fun and hone my skill (as state in above). I will think about uploading my story later after i am done writing a sufficient amount of chapters and edit them so they can be more enjoyable because if i find writing chapters that are boring, then it is boring. And i read the tips and the "not to do" from experience authors. As some good friends here suggested, write it first then find where to upload them later. (In literotica? ~_~" should i?) As for your group, damn!! I didn't know there are groups! Your group look cool so i will get my dirty paw in their too! :3 (with your permission)

12. hawkenss

hawkenss Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A lot of shit at RRL, but there's just as much shit anywhere else.

13. J-Mitch

J-Mitch ⚖ Tipping the Scales of the World

Reading List:
    Link
    lol. Oh? I wonder which story you read from me or the group.

And sure, if you are ready to upload it, I'll be glad to have you. Just PM me with your first chapter and we'll go on from there.

Bunseth168 likes this.
  14. Sawanara murasaki

Sawanara murasaki Sawa the HEro-sensei

Reading List:
    Link
    If i post my stories here, can i post the lewd one? If can't then i try to change the lewd parts of my stories....i'm a dirty minded but most of my stories are romance with no negative....

15. Sawanara murasaki

Sawanara murasaki Sawa the HEro-sensei

Reading List:
    Link
    Can you give me some steps or rule on how to post stories to this web? I'm still new...

J-Mitch likes this.
  16. Parth37955

Parth37955 [Unavailable, go away] Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.