Tech warnings

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by justmehere, Jun 16, 2017.

1. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi All,

I just want to put up a friendly reminder to help people browsing the internet safely.

1) Always use anti virus on your computer. Even a free one is better.

2) if it is possible, use dynamic password that changes for every website.
    If it is not, then you have to set up multiple password for every layer of internet access that you have.
    What do I mean with this? Your banking might have the same passwords, but dont use the same password on your facebook. And your facebook (social media sites) should never have the same password as your email. Otherwise, if someone has access to one of your account, he can trace back to all of your account and you might lose all.
    And for goodness sake, never use 12345678 or password as your password....

3) Always use one pseudo avatar account for any gaming purposes. This is especially important for kids and parents who want to protect their children. Kids usually post things on their social media accounts. By separating your kid social media account from their game account, will reduce the possibility of paedophiles snooping on your kids activity by befriending them in games.

Am I missing something? Post in here to help other people.

Edit: LOL, somehow the text editor deleted the and parents part ....

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    0000000, Recouer, kenar and 7 others like this.
  2. noisypixy

noisypixy Sacatunn que pen, que summum que tun.

Reading List:
    Link
    Haven't used one for years.

3. Shance

Shance 『Trying to evade the wall in the front』『Failing』

Reading List:
    Link
    This cracked me up a little.

But thank you.

4. mmsupreme

mmsupreme How do I change my custom title?

Reading List:
    Link
    Never mix personal entertainment email with serious emails. You don't want to sign up on adult sites with the same email as your work

TheSinofPriDe and Mantrazz like this.
  5. frenzy85

frenzy85 Not Well-Known Yet

Reading List:
    Link
    :LOL::LOL::p

Came out of nowhere, but this is actually solid advice.

6. Ignus

Ignus Philosopher of Flames

Reading List:
    Link
    Buying all passwords for Nuf Dollars

7. Deleted member 41274

Deleted member 41274 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    4 never show people photos especially not nude

justmehere likes this.
  8. CoupDeFri

CoupDeFri My shadow is my best friend.

Reading List:
    Link
    pedophile snooping up from game account?? is it true??? sounds like u worrying too much

9. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When planning a vacation DO NOT announce the date at social media. Robbers go to social media to know which house is unoccupied. I read it on our local police flyers.

TheSinofPriDe and justmehere like this.
  10. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you never know whats is going on with children in another part of the world
    you know, like a kid spending time with their great great grandparents and things like this...

11. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    why not?
    just ask yourself if you could live with it if the entire world got a live broadcasting of the pics you send and you will know whether to send them or not to ^^
    besides, witnessing the real thing is much better in most cases :D(y)

12. RizYun

RizYun #Kaffee4Laifu

Reading List:
    Link
    once invaded by viruses, re-install the OS; or just buy and change the HDD/SSD into a new one then install the OS from begining again..

13. Mystogrigen

Mystogrigen 「Clever and Witty Original Title」

Reading List:
    Link
    Adblocker.
    If a website lets you use 12345678 or password as a password, it isn't worth being there.

Adblocker: Seriously, people get butthurt about other people using adblocker because it removes money from their pockets... Why is it that their website has more virus alerts and redirects when it is off? Seriously, this thing will block more viruses and trojans than any antivirus.

Having a password on your windows account. Seriously, this is a big security hole most people have... They only have ONE administrator account, and that doesn't even have a password involved... You should make your administrator account, and then make your regular joe account too. Password both of course. This way, if you do get infected, the damage would not be as bad as it could have been if the virus had access to administrator permissions.

14. thelurker

thelurker [The Crazy Guy] Death to All BL Novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Well duh you have to add letters at the end for stronger password
    Ex. 12345678asd see? Much longer and stronger password

I Eat Monsanto likes this.
  15. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    So L4 doesn't want to see Ai-chan's photos anymore? Okay then...

16. Sena

Sena Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What threat is this supposed to prevent? This part is extremely vague about both the problem and the solution.

17. novalance

novalance Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In the past, there was some unsaid rules you took that would so apply today that nobody follows anymore...

Don't post anything you don't mind people finding about.
    Facebook...? Twitter... All actually are very dangerous platforms to use... Anything "free" pretty much shouldn't be considered safe.
    Never give out your passwords to anyone.
    Use long passwords not just complex passwords
    For instance, P@ssW0rd is considered complex... But: Thisisapasswordtoojustareallylongone&simple. A really long but easy to remember password is just as hard to break if not harder than a short complex one. It really deals with how the hash is created which pretty much vomits out the same length to be stored no matter the length of the password. It just takes much less time to go through a short password than a really long ass one. Just be sure the password has something that is easy for you to remember and something unique to you that isn't knowing to anyone but you: birthmark on your ass etc...

Old protocols that use to be pretty common to follow but most people don't do anymore:
    When you send an e-mail inform the person via phone or other method that a e-mail is coming to them with an attachment.
    When sending an e-mail send something unique in the message the recipient will know it really is from you.
    Do not open any e-mails from people you do not know at all.
    Read e-mails in text only, do not use html or javascript to view them.

NOTE: there are quite a few "free" virus scanners that are actually viruses themselves... Honestly... The best way to secure your computer is to have your security and access policies done very strictly... Do not use a user that has admin privileges or worse a root account, use only a user level account on your computer with bare minimum level of access. As you need access you have to request for it to run anything that requires elevated privileges. If the user account is compromised you can purge the account and it pretty much cleans out all the junk by doing so. It is pretty tedious to setup access policies that are going to not drive you up the wall... Typically Windows balances much of it but in doing to leaves a lot of ways for outside malicious users to get at you... You can make any machine very virus resistant by just setting up proper security access policies as well as exercising careful surfing habits.

Jarrow likes this.
  18. prongsjiisan

prongsjiisan Apostle of Violence

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm using 1234567890abcdefg as my password

19. Jiggy

Jiggy I am JiggyliFAP~ the not fat anymore guy.

Reading List:
    Link
    I dunno bout you guys but pedophilia is not common in asian countries than the west.

20. Jarrow

Jarrow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Easy way to generate unique passwords: use a lookup table. Seriously, everyone has some list of items that they have memorized - another language, a list of pet, family, or coworkers names, etc. Take the first few characters of the URL and run it against the memorized table with some arbitrary rule. This will generate a lifetimes worth of unique passwords for every site you ever visit, and you'll always be able to 'remember ' the password for each site.

For example:
    Table: MON1 TUE2 WED3 THU4 FRI5 SAT6 SUN7
    Rules: Take the first three characters of the URL after the www or forum or whatever, and for each character, enter the next 3 characters from the table. If it's not in the table, type that character three times.

Example:
    forum.novelupdates.com -> n1tuon1vvv
    wwwnotalink.bakabt.com -> bbbat6skkk
    wwwnotalink.ashlymadison.com -> at6ssat6hu4f

Change things like the number of characters used, the result when a letter is not in the table, capitalization rules, and the table itself for infinite possibilities. Add a date stamp rule (I use season and year: SYY, like 'W14' for winter of 2014 - easy enough to guess in a few tries if I don't remember) and you can deal with the periodic password expiration. You'll spend one week memorizing the table and rules, and have infinite passwords for the rest of your life, with built in mnemonics.

Personally, I have a nice big table and three sets of rules: one set for official business (work, mostly), one set for frivolous stuff (here : ), and a final set for banking, financial, and Important Personal Stuff. I memorized it over a decade ago, and I've never lost a password, and been able to come back to websites after years away and get right back in. Much better and safer than a password manager.

* Added the notalink text becasue D@mn, I did not want to be linking there in the first place. : D

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017