Discussion The Daily Task of Preventing My Disciple from Turning... : Criticizing other translators

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by readerz, Jul 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sinyueliang

sinyueliang 『World Traveller』『Demon Slayer』『Hinokami』

Reading List:
    Link
    Yours - Though Mu Chen started (his training?) late, he ranked fifth. At 16 years old he built his Foundation, a once-in-a-hundred genius whom the disciples admire.
    Mine - He was the sole disciple of the cultivation world’s number one pill master, building his foundation at 16 years old, not even more than a hundred years passing before reaching the Demigod stage sort of talented pill master, Mu Chen had always been the object of admiration to chase after for Lofty Cloud Sect disciples.

Yours - Mu Chen nodded and, to the amazement of everyone present, picked up Gu Yunjue in his arms, too lazy to say another word, and left.

“Grand Martial Uncle!” One of the disciples tried to stop Mu Chen. The child called Gu Yunjue is only six years old and he has not been tested.
    Mine -
    Mu Chen nodded his head and lifted Yunjue up in the midst of people’s doubtful gazes, not saying a single word as he carried him in his arms and walked off.

“G-great apprentice-granduncle!” A third generation disciple immediately shouted to stop him. This child called Gu Yunjue was one whom the Sect Master personally picked out, not even reaching six yet had already entered the Refining Qi stage and possessed a Heavenly Fire Vein Spirit Root. No matter how today’s trial went, it was already decided that he would enter the sect’s main peak. Yet, that child was being carried away right now, how in the world would he report to the Sect Master?

I'm sorry, how does yours not have inaccuracies or missing details?? I can't see it.

KyleXreX and Ashley123 like this.
  2. Hell_ping

Hell_ping Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Alright, I don't really comment on such stuff...

...But you guys should ask yourself this question.

Why do you translate?

Is it for the noble cause of sharing the work with others?

Or is it just to boost your own ego?

Is it for the sake of calling yourselves 'translators' where you should be called 'processors' instead?

Is it for the sake of getting donations?

Is it to improve your proficiency in languages?

Because if you guys are going to argue about stuff like this, you'll burn out really fast.

KyleXreX, Ashley123, namia91 and 2 others like this.
  3. sinyueliang

Reading List:
    Link
    "Or is it just to boost your own ego?"
    *Serious expression* of course the answer is yes.

Lol, that gave me a good laugh. Obviously I want the readers to worship me, and only me! I am the Queen of Danmei, no other person can steal my glory D:< *imagine Kisshouin Reika-sama in a rococo style dress on a throne with roses and spotlight laughing ohohohoho behind a fur trimmed fan*

Inb4 you say anything, that's a joke. Well, I wouldn't stop anyone from bowing to me in worship though. Ohohohoho~

Note: I've openly admitted to others that I'm kinda a bitch, what can I do about it *shrugs* the arrogance just oozes from my bones man. Cannon fodder arrogant young miss #1 is me. Actually, now I'm itching to write a story where an arrogant young miss transmigrates into a novel cannon fodder arrogant young miss and seeks to stomp the MC under her feet... not a bad idea if I say so myself.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    Ashley123 likes this.
  4. Hell_ping

Hell_ping Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I imagined myself going full Gregory House with that "admit It, admit It!" You being honest there is one thing I like about It, since I would admit it myself back in the day.

But then, there's a need to find a new motivation beyond that. Based on personal experience, most translators don't last past 4 years after all

5. gr8 b8 m8

gr8 b8 m8 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Welp. Looks like I won't get to read the end of this series any time soon. I'm all too familiar with how this dispute plays out. :cry:

Personally, I think @sinyueliang and @Ashley123 are being overly aggressive and are making casual snide remarks against another translator mean-spiritedly. Even if they don't intend to do so, it sure comes off that way.

While I'm sympathetic to @readerz, perhaps dropping the series would be better in the long run for you mentally if you can't ignore the other party. Today it's them, tomorrow it's someone else.

There's a certain kind of personality that's needed to really last long in "the scene" and see a series to completion.

KyleXreX, DesuDiem, Ease and 5 others like this.
  6. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    ...@sinyueliang this is the 5 year old shota who wanted dick one, isn't it.

sinyueliang likes this.
  7. sinyueliang

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol :x well, I'm not denying it hahahaha

8. Ashley123

Ashley123 Your senior

Reading List:
    Link
    What?What happened?

9. sinyueliang

Reading List:
    Link
    Translator's discord, while I was consulting about some parts of the translation, I was summarizing the plot for context. Well, it ended up as a kinda weird summary. It was a bath scene lolz.

10. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    Note to self.
    Don't mess with hardcore Fujoshi...

mir, syc, KuroYousei and 2 others like this.
  11. Ashley123

Ashley123 Your senior

Reading List:
    Link
    Was it about a shota?

And @gr8 b8 m8 Did I come off as overly aggressive?First time in me life somebody said this to me.Normally,I'm very calm,I'm the one that hate dispute,the mediator and someone polite but I just discovered that I have a bitchy side (as sinyuelang said) and with this situation+Readerz claim of “harassment” on her Tumblr and here,her act of pretending to be innocent and pushing all the fault into me and sinyuelang really just made me mad.And you know that saying about calm people when they get mad.....(about them being the scariest) So I'm sorry for you but I think if Readerz won't translate it,then maybe @sinyueliang will continue?I hope so,I am one of the reader of this series too

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  12. Risus

Risus ✵ Enigmatic Poet ✵ Tiger ✵ Reese's ✵

Reading List:
    Link
    "Then @sinyueliang pm'ed me saying that my MTL was inaccurate and missing parts so he wanted to pick it up. That's rude but I'm like, "sure, go ahead."

I honestly don't see how this is rude.. or how the post on their website was offensive enough to warrant such drama..

I get that your feelings might have been hurt, but you're doing MTL. Inaccuracies should be expected. Someone telling you there's inaccuracies should just be stating the obvious, no?

If they were just completely disrespecting your hard work, I can understand.. but they weren't.

13. gr8 b8 m8

gr8 b8 m8 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ashley also made a post on NUF saying that someone "stole" their project. (The novel I am translating has been taken by another) Mind you, at the time, readerz had like 3 or so chapters out and Ashley had none. Then Ashley goes on to rag on Readerz for being MTL and how theirs is much more superior and how they wasted their time.

Yes, a real translation is generally more superior to a machine translated one, but I don't think that gives the right to lord over someone else. It's very subtle, but the aggression Ashley and Yueliang did is basically doing slipping in small shots at readerz every chance they got (e.g. "my translation is much more accurate unlike a certain someone"). Passive-aggressive you would say.

That's picking a fight if I've ever seen one.

smr85, KyleXreX, DesuDiem and 3 others like this.
  14. Risus

Reading List:
    Link
    To be exact, it was more along the lines of she *feels* like it was taken from her.
    I read through the thread, where did she "rag" on Readerz?
    The only thing I can think of is this:
    "And you know some fans do not mind the speed the translator take if it means they could read an accurate and good translation of the novel that they like." But that's just stating the obvious again.
    She feels unhappy because she wasted time on something she didn't need to.. there's nothing wrong about that.

If you perceive someone as being passive aggressive, then that's all you're gonna see.
    You choose how to interpret someone's words, especially on the internet, where there are no vocal tones to distinguish between a simple statement or a sarcastic remark.
    I have yet to see Ash "lord" anything over anyone tho Siny (I Shall Wantonly Shorten Names) is obviously mocking at the later parts of this thread, which wouldn't have happened if Readerz didn't bring it up.
    Your example is of your creation/interpretation, thus largely irrelevant.

Why would they be picking a fight? What motive do they have? Maybe if Ash was continuing to translate that would make sense, but she's not.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  15. Pythagoras Theorem

Pythagoras Theorem Horse (?)

Reading List:
    Link
    Hypocrisy?

Aurora Butterfly 7 likes this.
  16. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    They started it. I didn't bring anything up, they were the ones who kept on posting stuff. I merely replied.

They were the ones who made the comparison and criticized me. So I'm just supposed to passively accept whatever claims they make? I actually did keep quiet for a few days but this harassment did not stop, therefore I had to stand up for myself.

Indeed. There's no use in continuing since those people are just gonna keep on harassing me. If I had not complained, those guys wold have just continued posting more and more of those sneaky and gross stuff.

As for the other people posting about MTL being inherently inaccurate, you can read it for yourself. There's like a 1-3% difference in our translations. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  17. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think a mediator would be good here.
    I can't think of anyone, but if anyone knows someone who can do it well, please tag them here.
    Calming down and trying to solve this so that no one walks away with a grudge would be ideal.

So, what's the next step you each want to take?
    It looks like all three of you like the story.
    @Ashley123 has said that she is ok with not translating it anymore.
    @readerz has shown that she wants to translate it.
    @sinyueliang, it seems like you don't want to translate it yourself, but instead help Readerz make the translation more accurate.

Is all of that correct?

Risus and readerz like this.
  18. sinyueliang

Reading List:
    Link
    I desire an accurate translation, just on the matter of whether or not I'm the one providing it, I don't particularly care (although since translating is a lot of effort and my translations aren't even that good, I guess you could say that yes, if I had to say, I lean toward not translating it myself). For now, since I've already invested time and effort, I plan on continuing, but if another translator better than me shows the desire to pick it up, I'm totally cool with it and would hand it over gratefully. That being said, if I really can't continue, @SnowTime has already mentioned that they have the intentions of continuing at that point in time, and they're a better translator than me. So... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

19. Risus

Reading List:
    Link
    You brought it up with the creation of this thread. It should've ended with Ash's since she was already talking about dropping it.
    You started the name calling.
    You started the comparisons, they simply called it inaccurate before.
    I can quote you, if you want.

To my understanding, from what you've said, there's only been two posts from them to you before this thread.
    Once, to ask to pick it up, in which s/he directly told you was because they felt yours was inaccurate. I would called that blunt, rather than sneaky.
    Second, was when introducing the story to their site and putting some context behind why they're translating it. Perhaps this can be called sneaky, but they didn't mention you directly or attack you in an offensive way, so I don't see it as harassment or particularly Ill intentioned either.

20. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link

Thank you. I appreciate your trying to be the voice of reason.

I must point out that if anyone wants to correct anything all they need to do is to post a comment on my translation site or here (or pm me). Politely. I don't believe there is any need to have a special relationship for that. (y) I have accepted several corrections by other readers already. I believe this is the usual way. :coffee: Anyone can just go and read my stuff right now and do it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.