Discussion There's no such thing as perfect novel

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Renzy, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Fones2411

Fones2411 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To write a perfect novel the writer also needs to be perfect. As far as I know there is no perfect human being.

2. Damsell in Distress

Damsell in Distress Waiting for dashing MC to save me from myself

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually yeah there's no perfect novel..

At first read you may think, this is great, have good plot, nice character development and whatnot...

But after several re read you will notice several flaws, but hey if it still give you a good read in the end then it's a good novel..

3. Vudoodude

Vudoodude Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I could go on a long rant about this stuff, about the different groups of readers, and about how you should rate novels as ideal rather than perfect. I could write an essay about how opinions are subjective, you'll never please everyone, and how ignorance is bliss. But I won't. Instead, here's Johnny Cash - Hurt.

Lonelycity likes this.
  4. Fones2411

Fones2411 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We have similar minds. We both like Inside the Cave of Obscenity

Kurotsubaki likes this.
  5. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
    There’s no such thing as perfection in this world. Perfection is merely a fraud waiting to be undone
    -Ning Chen-

6. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    There's no such thing as perfect writing, just like there's no such thing as perfect despair.
    - Haruki Murakami

Lonelycity and ToastedRossi like this.
  7. Haevrus

Haevrus No.1 Incognito Webuser

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate MMORPG novels, because to me it sounds lame. It breaks my immersion. Can't blame it though. Playing a game, and reading about a game are two different concepts. Not my words, but I wholeheartedly agree. The authors can't just seem to balance the flow between real life and while playing game. Even inside the game, I seem to find loopholes which makes me frown once in a while. This things does not matters for short term. But if you are an avid gamer and know what you are reading, a time will come where you will just "fuck, I am outta here.". Novels like this will only take you this far. I will rather read AARs or actual gameplay walkthroughs , instead of these.

As for kingdom building novels. They are even more fucking ridiculous. I mean I like to read few things about world history once in a while. I can even confess, I was fond of these " kingdom building" novels you talk of. But man, was I naive? Its like you have played Europa 4 or Crusader Kings II for more then 400 hrs trying desperately for your nation to survive. (great games, I tell you. Probably one of the most satisfying historically accurate Grand strategy games). And then you read this novel,say RtW(no offense) where with every page you turn. Your mind screams, "I am pretty clear, the author just open up basic history books, did some search on Google, played age of empires 3. Then decided to write this story with cheats on at easy difficulty.". Do you know how it hurts?

You need to build new steam engines?
    Great, give me the resources. It will be prepared in 3 months. (Just like Aoe3)

You need more men. No problem. No need to worry about force limit, or manpower, or money, social balance, loyality. Plot armour is here to solve that. Fuckkkkkkkkkkk......

You have guns. Great we can start a revolution in our little town. Our enemies are superstitious. They won't do shit. No need to worry about problems that comes with unbalanced research as well.

We are more advanced. This battle will be ours. Deus Vult. Bastardo, that's know how it works. If the other side is more adaptable with a favourable terrain, with a godly general and conviction (means good morale), then it will be a one sided massacre.

And then we have xianxia. I don't expect anything from this genre. Thats why I,can liberally scream, cuss this shit. But I can still come back. To see if things has changed.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    Lazybum0 likes this.
  8. Sircus

Sircus [Well-Known God]

Reading List:
    Link
    "There's no such thing as perfect novel"

Actually there is, it just hasnt been written yet, also it´s a huge indicator that a society has reached it´s peak and will now plummet.

9. SleepyFox

SleepyFox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Bible.

10. Night Ghost

Night Ghost Well-Known Ghost Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This statement of yours is stupid. Everyone has a different taste

LOL I dropped MW long time ago, it's repetitive and the plot armor is too thick

Try Renegade immortal and throne of magical arcana instead

11. Rreelentless

Rreelentless Captain Sheriff Admiral Colonel Major General

Reading List:
    Link
    because Martial world isnt a martial arts novel. the martial arts is a means to a end with that end being face slapping

12. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not only that, but you can easily have a kingdom building story without involving advancing technology at all because kingdom building is primarily about social and economic systems. Some of the best kingdom building I've come across has more to do with reorganizing available resources and stimulating growth by enabling innovators and entrepreneurs than by actually focusing on technology.

Yup. Say that a perfect novel doesn't exist is a truism that pretty much no one will argue with. But because it's a truism, it doesn't really say anything either.

Cosmic_ likes this.
  13. Parpaing

Parpaing Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    People like martials arts/etc novels because they're power fantasies, it strokes their ego. I disagree that people hate mmorpg novels because it's not their first, they just fucking suck, they're supposedly in a game but that game is unrealisticly realistic(literally human NPCs), and they spend all their time inside the game, just huge frikkin plot holes, there's also the fact that usually those authors are low on talent and time so they go for the cliché and powerwank-ish, they don't weave a lot of detail about the world because they don't think about their novel outside their work, there's no passion.

14. DlorejMil

DlorejMil Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I disagree. I define perfect novels as when the novel achieves what it sets out to achieve. A lighthearted comedy is not flawed because it doesnt have suspense or action. The only true flaws that can be counted is plot holes, poor characters, weak storyline, etc.
    Not a novel but anime. i dont understand what my husband is saying: perfect anime.
    Also truly good novel is good to you even if you hate the genre. For me eg. is Skyfire Avenue, i hate mecha,planets,harem,op mc and despite SA having all that its still one of my fav novel.

15. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    It is a story about how people wear masks. Caring for someone and fear of losing someone
    It is sad, novels are like food but it is no surprise that the most popular food chain is McDonalds, a fastfood chain
    Popular does not equal to quality

Lonelycity likes this.
  16. Jyulegacy

Jyulegacy Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, have you read "genius doctor - black belly miss" it has quite a bit of martial arts and cultivation weak-strong rising with a female mc but at the end of everything she solves it all with brains and allways ends with a face slapping, the chapter names are literally "the first slapping" -10th "slapping" etc etc.

Rreelentless likes this.
  17. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with the sentiment expressed by your title. There are no perfect novels. Now that doesn't mean there are novels that are unequivocally bad. And it doesn't mean that there aren't some genres that are naturally predisposed to having more difficulty in even achieving a "good" or "decent" such as LitRPG, VRMMO or Xuanhuan, due to the structured nature of their plot and setting.

Regardless, people also have different preferences and have different interest in tropes for whatever reason, so finding a universally loved novel is similarly nonexistent.

18. Myriadfold

Myriadfold 『Silkmaid』『Ishhara's Devotee』『Daoist』『WW Vet.』

Reading List:
    Link
    I am in the process of fleshing out my fictional universe and guess what is one of the first things I am doing? reading up on the history and development of economics and the nominal groupings of human character traits. I like to build a setting that is as realistic and believable as possible. Not to convince all readers, but to set a baseline standard for what people can expect from my work. average joes will just see a decent story, experts and those with capable minds will notice the care and structure put into the setting. Plot armour is something I want to entirely eradicate if possible, there is no guarantee of my stories ending with good triumphing over evil, and even more so, no guarantee of the MC surviving the course of events.(cause I focus more about the world than a particular characters experiences of it)

At least I want to try and have people recommending my stories and rereading them because they thoroughly enjoyed them, not just share another copypasta plotline.

19. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Making a perfect novel is not much harder than making a good novel. All you need is to add mecha.

Anything is better with mecha. Cute mecha schoolgirls is pretty much perfect, unless you messed up the plot, characters and dialogues.

20. Evil_Ginger

Evil_Ginger 『Lawful Neutral』『Cheese Master』『安德鲁』

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow, I just said something similarly related to this topic. However, I guess I should elaborate before sharing the link.

Humans aren't perfect, and neither are their creations. Why? Well...http://forum.novelupdates.com/posts/3007724/