Resource TRANSLATION TIPS: Dealing With Kansai-Ben (or other regional dialect) when translating into English

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Yukkuri Oniisan, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    As a non-native English translating a non-English works to English, sometimes I had difficulty to represent Kansai-ben or Tohoku-ben (I only ever see those two) dialect's "language feel" baggage into English. Since I don't really understand subtle difference in English (since my only frequent exposure to English is only two: British English (via BBC documentaries) and American English (via National Geographic documentaries) I LOVE documentaries and NOVA and MYTHBUSTER).

So for my fellow non-native English translator who had difficulty to reserve the unique feel and otherness of Kansai-ben or other regional language, I propose you translate them into:

1. SCOTTISH! I mean Scottish had their unique feel than English. Because learning proper Scottish took time and I don't know who is Scottish in this forum, you can use a cheat-tool like:
    www.whoohoo.co.uk/scottish-translator.asp
    www.scotranslate.com
    http://doricphrases.com/scottish-translator.php
    But please make at least a non-native English still be able to guess what they mean to say, except if the context was to confuse the character. I prefer Scottish or Kansai-ben since it funnier....

2. AMERICA SOUTHERNERS ACCENT! This is the usual route American translator when translating Japanese Kansai-ben speaker. But Kansai-en actually mean coming from old influential business region not from a boon'dock so I only recommend this if you want to translate a "rural dialect" like Tohoku-ben.
    Choose "reckneck"
    http://www.rinkworks.com/dialect

Sample: "I really want a daughter, sadly I have not married anyone and adoption is out of option."
    Scottish 1: "Ah pure waant a daughter, sadly ah hae nae merrit a'body 'n' adoption is oot o' option tae`."
    Scottish 2: "ah really wint a dother sadly ah hiv nae mairriet anyone an adoption is oot i' option "
    Scottish 3: "Ah pure want a dochter, sadly Ah huvnae merrit anyain an' adoption is it ay option."
    Redneck: "ah pow'ful be hankerin' a dotter, sadly ah have not married up wif ennyone an' adopshun is outta opshun."

Other Dialect:
    Scouse (Liverpool): Ay dead want a daughti, sadly ay 'uv not married anyone and adoption is outi option.
    Birmingham: I really want a daughter, sadly I aa marroid anyone an' adoption is ert of option.
    Irish English (kinda): Oi really want a bottle av water, sadly oi 'av not married anyone an' adopshun is oyt av opshun.
    Newcastle: Ah deed want a dowta, sadly ah hev neet marreed anyone an' adoption is yeut iv option.
    Brooklyn: I really want a daughtuh, sadly I have not married anyone and adopshun is out of opshun
    Shakespherean: i really wanteth a daught'r, sadly i hast not marri'd anyone and adoption is out of option.

Not satisfied? These sites that I linked in here also provide other kind of English accent or dialect that you can choose for translating the regional dialect appeared inside the work you translated.

If somehow my character meet someone speak Okinawan language I translate that as Cockney Rhythm Slang.

Happy translating!

PS: If you found any nifty tool in the internet for this please share!
    PSS: Ony hijacker wull be punished!

aoiisora, _Selutu_, Clown333 and 6 others like this.
  2. brianf

brianf Pvt. Slime

Reading List:
    Link
    HAHAHAA I love how 'daughter' became 'bottle of water'

3. Yukkuri Oniisan

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah... I find that part funny... So I leave them be...Don't know if it's really a Irish English slang or not...

4. Nikko Anderson

Nikko Anderson The Second Apprentice of The Fourth Librarian

Reading List:
    Link
    How about polite, high class type conversation?

5. Yukkuri Oniisan

Reading List:
    Link
    Turning it into Posh English or Received Pronunciation English (High-Class English spoken by English Royal Family and the upper clash) sounds great, but I don't know how... Watching BBC perhaps? or ask Oxford students or ask British Royal to teach us how? (there a lot of Youtube video for this)

6. Nikko Anderson

Nikko Anderson The Second Apprentice of The Fourth Librarian

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh that's sound good. It's a hard problem for non-native english like me... >.<

7. Clown333

Clown333 「Altiora Petamus Volente Deo Lucete Stellae」

Reading List:
    Link
    Putting a burden to everyone who tried to understand the meaning.

Lest aside the obvious examples like,

Thou, doth, art, thee, thine, and the pronomina, words we rarely heard like

sumptuous, serendipity, seraglio, sempiternal, thaumaturgy, apotheosis, lethargical, quintessential, forebearance, did give headache if we didn't properly look into thesaurus.

Help please?