Movie Warcraft Movie Countdown - May 25

Discussion in 'TV/Movies Discussion' started by Rafu the Shield Slayer, May 20, 2016.

1. forgotten

forgotten 【 R E M N A N T】

Reading List:
    Link
    Checked wacraft wiki, did ctrl+f magic and found :)

Thus i wasn't completely wrong , they were tainted not corrupted , if there is difference

2. Adastria Lillith

Adastria Lillith [Inquisitor of the Ordo Hereticus]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup, thanks.

3. J-Mitch

J-Mitch ⚖ Tipping the Scales of the World

Reading List:
    Link
    lol. I just saw an advertisement of it on TV and was about to post a thread until I saw yours.

I was so hyped for the movie before. And it had one of my favorite actors, the lead from Vikings, Travis Fimmel.

But.... The graphics in the ad sucked. I was disappointed. Now I'm not sure if I want to watching the movie in case i ruins the warcraft image for me.

4. Truerror

Truerror Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My expectation? That this would be one of those rare video game movies that's considered decent.

5. Noudachi

Noudachi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Too soon for one to assume things.

6. Truerror

Truerror Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't assume it to be decent. I expect it to be decent.

That is, if it betrays my expectation and turns out to be subpar, then heads are gonna roll. Starting from Legendary Pictures, cuz they're the one making the movie. Basically, I'm gonna go on a trolling rampage dissing Legendary Pictures and Blizz.

7. Ldyrdy

Ldyrdy Snowfallsdown

Reading List:
    Link
    For me.. It's just another propaganda to welcome the next update of world of warcraft... Haha.. But I will watch it... Just to see what's it all about since I played warcraft from the beginning... Will there be a plot about Illidan and the night elves? Idk.. Probably as I said before, just another event to hype world of warcraft big update.. Hehe..

8. prongsjiisan

prongsjiisan Apostle of Violence

Reading List:
    Link
    I have watch it...

and from what I saw.. the mc is orcs... lot of them... warcraft always on orc side...

orc is coolest race in this series.

and they have decent mages.. mages that gives feeling of real mage. not like HP..

mages in warcraft is hardcore..

asriu likes this.
  9. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Meh, being someone who played the first Warcraft (they had roads!), the movie is a disappointment for me. I hate the trailers and how the director changed the events of the First War. The director changed so much stuff in the movie. I want to watch the game come to life, I don't want to watch the director's reimagining of the game. The game lore was great, truly epic, heroic stuff.

This is an abomination and a mutilation of the Warcraft franchise. I don't usually agree with movie critics, but in this case, I'm glad they overwhelmingly agree with me.

Also, to answer previous questions, orcs were originally brown skinned. When Ner'zhul made a pact with Kil'Jaeden of the Twisting Nether, the twelve orc clans drank Mannoroth's blood, thus turning them demonic green (same colour as blood elf eyes). As the corruption waned, their skin colour gradually changed from emerald green to dark green but they never turned back to brown. The brown orcs you saw (Thrall and Broxigar for example) were all orcs that never drank Mannoroth's blood and eventually turned back to brown due to the lack of demonic presence on Azeroth. The red Fel Orcs were orcs who drank Mannoroth's blood (infused in the Fountain of Life) the second time and can turn into tainted orcs, but they'll never turn back into untainted orcs.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
    prongsjiisan and asriu like this.
  10. J-Mitch

J-Mitch ⚖ Tipping the Scales of the World

Reading List:
    Link
    Rating:
    I've never played Warcraft. I don't know the rich history behind it. But as someone who just watched the movie for what it is, at face value, I believe it earns a 7.5/10. It was a good movie.

First Thoughts:
    Most of what carried it was due to the story-line forged by the Warcraft/Blizzard Franchise. It is obvious because even if they changed a lot of details, if the skeleton/ backbone of the story changes, there would be no point; no money.

The start of the movie was very good on the orcs side. I wanted to feel a bit more emotion, but I was still satisfied. There was interest garnered on what was going on. What was going to happen. And it gave us immediate insight on one of the key focuses of the story. The power of the fell.

But then there was the human side. Oh boy. That was a tad annoying. I thought it rushed. It didn't seem real; more like a third mock up of a hit wonder movie. As if we are supposed to swallow trash because we will watch it anyway. And our favorite Travis Fimmel, known for Vikings, didn't get to really show his stuff. His acting is more suited to longer scenes with just him and the camera. Furthermore, the introduction of the dwarf and the gun was an important scene, yet the graphics were terrible at that moment. For a scene in the begining to have terrible graphics, well, makes you think the movie might not be worth it.

Continuing:
    Now as the story developed, you wanted to learn more. You craved to learn more. Especially after you finally get out of that dry human intro I talked of earlier. And the story then seemed not so rushed. With all the events going on, it still seemed cohesive, though there were obvious gaps and disappointments here and there.

Acting:
    Travis Fimmel aside, I don't think the director gave true feeling to the characters. The scenes were too short as I've said. And even if the dialogue remained the same, I am more referring to timing. These actors have had their key moments in this film where we know why they were chosen as the stars to begin with. Personally, I've watched a few key players, like Ruth Negga, the queen; Paula Patton, Garona; Ben Foster, Medivh; and Travis Fimmel, Anduin. They're acting is well polished. I just don't think the writing and the directing gave them true justice.

Gaphs:
    Now as someone who is not accustomed to Warcraft, please tell me why... I mean, although its one thing not to explain why Anduin is white and his sister is ethopian-irish looking (darker skinned) since we can come up with an idea ourselves (one is adopted or half brother/sister), its another thing not to explain why his sister's son is as white as the King. It just doesn't make sense. I would think they would give the role to a child that looked like a mix between the two, and if not, provide reason for it.

Well, that's my input. I'm not a reviewer so I won't go into too much detail, else I would have written two- three pages.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
    thymee likes this.