Was the creation of Novelupdates a good thing?

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by Parth37955, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Zaart

Zaart Deer Master Race

Reading List:
    Link
    Nothing is perfect
    Nothing more need to be said
    For me the adventage are better

Westeller likes this.
  2. kay.lenson

kay.lenson Deus ex machina

Reading List:
    Link
    novelupdate, this site is only reason i like to read novels, without i don't think someone has so much time to constantly check updates from 100's of different sites. so you can say that without creation of novelupdate they may not even get that much views.
    so, HENCE PROVED creation of novelupdate is definetly good thing..

3. Littledragonlady

Littledragonlady The last member of Ancient Tomb Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    Truth to be told, NU is godsend! Praise @Tony for even thinking about it!

Looking at it from positive angle, translator page wont crash that much due to F5 sect... they wont need to pay more... ;)

On a more serious note, retards who vote on a story due to tags... well, i think, not even a giants such as goodreads are immune to them. (One time I read that a bunch of readers one stared a novel because the translator doesnt like a feministic comment on her page)
    The only way to solve it shud be to get a bunch of professional critics to do the rating system... which is a total waste and can be imperfect too... which render it into a moot point.

Westeller likes this.
  4. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
    Back before the creation of NU...
    The usual MO of me checking for update is personally visit EVERY site that I bookmarks (40+)
    And I usually found another site through the link associated with page itself

Zaart and Westeller like this.
  5. Saxumsium

Saxumsium Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Asking if novelupdatess is good in novelupdates, is like asking people at a rock concert if they like rock musics. Even so, novelupdates has made life very easier regarding asian novels. There was a time that I went to 5-10 sites every morning to check for updates, and I'm realy glad I don't have to anymore.

Westeller and Shio like this.
  6. PamelAxiah

PamelAxiah Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    NU make me find a story easier. Before i find NU, its a but hard to keep track wether there's a good story around or find new one. Especially when i forget the web of the story i can search it in NU and saw the update of the story

Just want to thank you for creating NU

Westeller likes this.
  7. CloudySkySadMoon

CloudySkySadMoon Bald and Beautiful

Reading List:
    Link
    I can find new novels easily. My appetite is too big to settle down for a few 100s. Need mooore! XD

Westeller likes this.
  8. GM_Rusaku

GM_Rusaku Neptune-sama's Devoted Follower

Reading List:
    Link
    If there wasn't any NU, you won't see me posting Nepu in comments as I won't know the translator's site. And I wouldn't have started translating if it wasn't for NU.
    So Novel Updates
    . ∧,_,∧ 
    .(`・ω・)つ━☆・*。
    .⊂   ノ   ・゜+.
    . し’´J  ☆*・ °。。
    .     /\   Thanks!! Nepu!!!
    .    / ★∴ \  Merry X-mas!
    .   (人_人_人)   And A
    .   / ∴∵★ \ Happy Nepu Year!
    .   (_人_人_人_)   ∧ ∧
    .   / .☆∴∵∴. \ ( ´・ω・)
    .  (_人★人☆人_) /  ⌒ヽ
    .     ̄凵   (人___つ_つ

Zaart, Westeller, asriu and 4 others like this.
  9. Clozdark

Clozdark "Kuma chan \(≧◡≦)/ "「airhead」「nonsense speaker]

Reading List:
    Link
    I spoiler this since it's sensitive topic
    Since NU open neutrality to R-18 which my kind and probably some user like it too, sometimes some new reader came to nuf especialy "looking for section" where they probably thinking will get help like how open NU for R-18 instead .... well you see what i already happen when he/she talk about their R-18 interest in novel and everybody screaming Yoooo you are a pervert like that...

Can there will something to solve this matter?

Summary "the disconnected between Nu and nuf in R-18 "

Westeller likes this.
  10. Risus

Risus ✵ Enigmatic Poet ✵ Tiger ✵ Reese's ✵

Reading List:
    Link
    Ya win some you lose some, and NU provides a whole lotta win. This neutrality thing might have to go though. Simply makes no sense to support shitty mtl translations, but if they are capable of making it high quality, then it should be fine.
    Even if the site helps out thieves, chances are they would still be present without it.
    But the ratings... something needs to be done about that. Don't know what, so g'luck on it~

Westeller likes this.
  11. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the creation of NU was a great thing actually.

Simply because, if there was no NU, I would use an aggregator like Mangafox instead, there is just no way to keep track of all novels in translators sites and check each of them manually for updates, NU is a godsend on that regard.

Sure, it has its own problems, but it's the best thing possible for everyone.

And even if big translators might lose some ad revenue, lets not forget all the small translators that translate just for fun, don't accept donations and don't even have ads on their sites, the amount of people that would see their works would be way smaller without NU.

So, I think NU is the best thing to ever happen to the novel community.

Westeller likes this.
  12. Qianweijia

Qianweijia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    NU's neutrality policy is severely mistaken: do not be "more devoted to 'order' than to justice; [don't] prefer a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice," warns Martin Luther King. Neutrality is to avoid conflict or taking sides when both sides have good rationale. Standing by while crimes are being committed is not neutrality--that is just cowardice towards consequences. For evil men to accomplish their purpose it is only necessary that good men should do nothing. Neutrality is sitting idle, content in the transient peace, while lazy and greedy 'translators' make a quick buck off of shoddy work and the reputation arduously created by others. There are guidelines on the forums for the most inane things like novel pickup requests. Surely it can't be too hard to have guidelines to follow if a 'translator' wants to be put on NU.

NU as it is is a lot like managing a country. NU is the capital, and the translators' sites are its jurisdictions. NU is an aggregator, but it has pulled a sizeable population where it is no longer a small country in the world. Will you just sit by while those under you cry to you for help? Will you be Britain, as it watched Germany devour its neighbors, because she feared conflict? If you are truly neutral, then nothing I said matters. But now is the era of international politics and aggregated translators, and if your conscious is telling you to be active and do good, then do it. Don't passively lament the creation of the League of Nations but actively change it to the better United Nations. Make NU into a UN.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    Westeller likes this.
  13. Parth37955

Parth37955 [Unavailable, go away] Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ...no...that guy was just being a douche and making excuses.

14. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Disagreed, this is just causing unnecessary trouble.

Surely, there are translators that cause trouble and that try to compete or steal the work of others... But all of this are fantranslations, most of it illegal in fact.

Why should NU decide which is the right one and start getting in the way of the other one? If you start entering in conflict, start taking positions, people will start demanding you to take more positions, and maybe make NU exclude a site that there is no competitor to... Which would only make people use other aggregators.

Neutrality is best for NU, because it guarantee the best environment for the reader, might not be perfect for the translators, but guaranteeing that the reader will have a wonderful place with everything they need, helps greatly in fighting against the other aggregators.

Also, NU has absolutely no control over any translator site, they are all completely independent from NU and have their own rules, you can't think of them as a single entity, because they are all completely different ones.

15. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    I would argue that your analogy is incorrect. NU is already the UN (or at least it covers most of the important parts). NU doesn't have any control over it's"jurisdictions" like a country would. NU is merely a place for them to come together and for people to discuss (aka the UN).

What you are suggesting is that NU kick someone because they don't like what they did. Which would be the same as the UN kicking out North Korea because it's a jerk when the UN's goal is diplomacy. Similarly, NU should at most offer to try to solve conflict without taking sides.

Westeller, asriu and AliceShiki like this.
  16. SomeDude

SomeDude Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    NTR Isn't a stupid thing, it makes you frustated yet feels good... at least for me... hehe

17. OverlyFriendly

OverlyFriendly I should do something about

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh
    Ofc NU is great
    It can also give exposure for translators just starting..
    We can find out new tlers and support them to in our own way
    It's great instead of looking through the internet for new novels

Westeller and AliceShiki like this.
  18. Qianweijia

Qianweijia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You're right, NU doesn't rule over its demesnes, but this does not affect the analogy because it does have control over them by the use of its resources. Both the UN and NU exert strong influence, and that is what matters. The UN can impose sanctions (not saying they should, especially with a touchy country like North Korea). The sanction in this case can be, say, removed from the front page list, which would be similar to embargoes, and embargoes though imposed by governments reflect the productivity of the public (traffic of the users who generate ad revenue in this case). Real world politics are much more complicated so this analogy cannot go to deep, but if say NU made a guideline, just like how one must wait three months before making a novel pickup request, that said no shoddy MTLs that start from where the current translation is unless the translation has been dropped for three months, then groups which break this rule will be punished while individual wrongdoings won't even make it to the front page.
    No action is merely tacit acceptance. Neutrality is not a stance that works when multiple parties are involved, there is a clear wrong being done, and you are the grand arbitrator.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    Westeller likes this.
  19. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    still nay~ that will put NU stands more toward translator~ like reddit do while it's not bad thing what about reader stand?
    how about translator who suspected as holding translation? what about Kuro no Maou case? thing like Entruce and Light Novel Bastion translation~ should NU also punish such translator? there also case when translator asked NU to remove all or part of link to chapter cuz various reason~ can me as reader ask NU to change the rule so that link stay?
    three months rule that agreement on translator circle (I assume), NUF have make huge role to introduce such thing to ignorant reader like me(there more out there) without it IDK when I will know such thing exist~
    what happen on translator circle should resolved on translator circle~ NUF can act as newspaper where opinion come and go~ where other can read it to know what hap~ so I as reader aware is there anything that can affect my reading process~
    if translator can choice their stand on pick what they want to translate and where they put it then I as reader can choice my stand on what I want to read and where I want to read it~ NU can act as bridge to connect between translator and reader by put the link on NU page~

ignore them~ for NUF there rules for nsfw thing~ but what if it discuss novel which purely about-18 like kinimaru? IMO that's fine
    use rules on NUF to discuss on civil manner~

AliceShiki and Westeller like this.
  20. Ace112

Ace112 Member

Reading List:
    Link