Websites like Novel Updates?

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by bchen3, Apr 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heartantares

heartantares One Who Provides Uselessly Detailed Information

Reading List:
    Link
    I think they were referring to those websites with broader scope that was mentioned near the bottom of the post.

As for sites i know..... id needa log into my wordpress to check who is linking to my page only one i can remember off top was wlnupdates or something like that....

Muuu it might be just that one and the rest were aggregators as far as i remember.....

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    Shio likes this.
  2. sigmarc

sigmarc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    nu doesnt have english novel updates

3. norach212

norach212 Unknown being

Reading List:
    Link
    What about the similar site with western light/web novel? Is there any?

4. Atamahead027

Atamahead027 Pleasure Research Club President

Reading List:
    Link
    VNTS at fuwanovel.net for tracking VN translation status and official english release

5. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess. RWX doesn't lose anything; NU is free and only links to sites, so all the more views for RWX

6. darkshooter190

darkshooter190 Lurker, I see and knows nothing

Reading List:
    Link
    It's like going to McDonald and asking where KFC is.

7. vinerkz

vinerkz Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    and like the commercial for soda where the boy bought 2 coke in can then step on it so he can reach for the pepsi

kenar and Lonelycity like this.
  8. Anoncommander1

Anoncommander1 The Commander

Reading List:
    Link
    is that wrong? I have done that a few times.

9. Genisyn69

Genisyn69 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    not quite like NU, but www.topwebfiction.com isn't a bad place to drudge up a good story (that others are currently voting for).

10. Dewa

Dewa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Savage

kenar, BabaNovac and zeus like this.
  11. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    To avoid being copied by aggregator sites.

Some of us prefer to keep quiet and translate our favourite novels for those few readers for free and getting it known and as such scraped by aggregator sites will not help the original author at all. NU links are now likely being used to find new translation sites to scrape content from by aggregator sites. Since you can't really stop aggregator sites from stealing the contents that you provide for free, the only way left is to make it harder for them by avoiding being scraped by their bots that target NU links in the first place.

Users not adding them is just showing respect to the translator's choice. The translators do it because they love the novels and if they don't want to be scraped, no reason to list them. There are actually many sites that silently translate Chinese and Japanese novels and have never been scraped yet. Some of them have been online for years.

I won't give links but there are new and old translator sites who chose not to be listed on NU despite the higher traffic potential because they're doing it for free and traffic wouldn't matter in the first place. As I said above, NU links are being used to scrape content from translator sites by aggregators. So it's not strange for translators tired of aggregators to choose not to be listed on NU.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    mir, Setra and kenar like this.
  12. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So the idea is that to avoid being copied by aggregators, it's better to also hide your translation from many of the people who would enjoy reading it? .. I'm not sure I understand at all. .... Rather, if you're actually that afraid of aggregators, you probably shouldn't be translating at all. I hate to put it that harshly, but that's how I see it.

Think about it man. If every translation group suddenly decided to come over and ask for their translations to not be linked on Novel Updates... would there even be a point to Novel Updates anymore? .. It's fine when a few smaller groups don't want to be linked here, but if many of them, or any of the larger ones, want to be taken off, too, then Novel Updates has a problem, and all the people using it have a problem, too.

Dupe2718, kenar and AliceShiki like this.
  13. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    They don't need to have a thousand people reading. They just wanted to share with people they know won't betray the author. Besides, these cases were generally because they were asked to translate by the readers. They don't want fame, recognition or pageviews. They were asked to translate a certain novel or manga by a small bunch of people and they did. In some cases, their aim is not for the whole world to know that it is translated, just for their circle of friends to be able to read stuff they can't. It's community service, for friends, by friends. Many (not all or most) of these readers also bought a copy of the author's work in the original form. In some cases, people buy the books first and ask them "Please read this for me, I can't understand Chinese." and they read it for them and transcribe it in the way the requester could understand.

Remember, they are not doing this to spread the author's work to the whole world, they only do this to allow people who wanted to read those works to be able to read them in their own language.

14. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not about "spreading it to the whole world."

Do you think 7 billion people check Novel Updates for new translations every morning? .. @Tony can dream.

There is a minority of people who really enjoy reading these novels and many of them come here to find new things. Wanting to avoid being listed here because aggregators would also know your translation exists is literally denying your translation to these people - people who have absolutely nothing to do with those aggregators and just want to read your shit.

Is there really any reason to do that?

15. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, as I said, it's for friends, by friends. And many of those 'friends' already bought the books they asked the translators to translate. And I said one thousand, not 7 billion. How many of these 1000s actually support the author? Likely none. So releasing it to the public is useless. Why would the translators feel guilt about denying people who feel entitled to read stuff for free without supporting the author?

There, I've made it shorter so that you don't get distracted.

kenar likes this.
  16. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    Sure, many of the people around here that read don't support the authors or even intend to.. but many do.

Translators asking people to buy books they can't read or do things like that to show their support for the author are essentially asking for donations - to the author instead of themselves - much the same way many of the translators around here are asking for donations to fund their translation work.

Does everyone that reads donate to translators? Hell no.

But plenty of people do. Hundreds.. maybe thousands.. of people donate, regularly. And that number is only increasing.

The idea isn't to have every individual person support the author, the translator, or anyone else. It's to garner support by bringing the work to as many interested people as possible. Hiding translations from the crowd isn't supporting the author. It's the opposite.

Dupe2718 and AliceShiki like this.
  17. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    Exactly, I've been saying this from the very start in this thread. They are supporting the author, not the translator. The translators are doing this voluntarily. As I already said in my first reply in this thread, the translators are not looking for fame, or name or pageviews. They couldn't care less about those. People bought those novels, but they can't read it, so they read it for them.

You are assuming that people who read it, support it in their own way. Readers don't really care. How many people can remember the name of the author of 10 of the novels that they read? At most they can remember two or three. How many of them bought the author's novels, paid for Qidian membership and ran pages after pages of something they can't understand on Qidian Chinese's website just to give the author a little bit of money? Very few.

What you get instead are mushrooming sites that continuously steal from the translators who in turn, steal from the authors. If the translators get money, then the authors should get them too. But translators don't give a damn about the authors and the authors have no one to stand up for them.

These people who refused to be listed on NU, steered away from all this bullshit. They are not here for politics or making money, they are providing a community service for people who bought the authors works. They are the authors' legitimate customers, they just can't read them, so these people read it for them.

18. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    They're not providing a community service by stashing away their translations on a blog only half a dozen people even know exists. They're providing a self-service. ... Anyway, you're missing the point. People are completely willing to donate and show their support. Is everyone going to? Hell no. You can't expect them to. But many people will if you provide them the opportunity.

Hiding the translation is absolutely not providing people the opportunity to support the author.

.. and yes, many translators would rather have people support them, too. Because guess what? They're putting a fuckton of work into their translations.. and there's nothing wrong with that. Authors usually *pay* to have their work translated, not the other way around. A lot of people seem to forget that.

19. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    I shall break this up one by one then.
    Why would they care? The pros and cons of making their translation public is leaning a lot more towards cons, as their translation can be stolen and made buying author's novels a pointless endeavour. Once the aggregator bots got their url, hyperlink, IP address, it's done. That whole website is open to a whole universe of aggregators before readers even realize there's a new update on the translator's site. Completely done, there is no more need to hide because everything they post from then on goes straight to aggregator sites. The only thing left would be to close the site and do it even more privately.

Actually you're the one missing the point. Yes, people are willing to donate, but to WHO? To WHO? The author? They don't even know the author.

Okay, let's say that they are not hiding it. How in your mind are they supporting the author? Let's push aside the fact that aggregator sites snap up the contents faster than they can register to Amazon Japan. I'm right now asking you, how will readers support the authors when the translations are not hidden?

That argument means shit when the author gains no benefit at all. Did the authors get some of the money? Maybe, some translators do this, which I applaud them for it, but not many do this. Yes, fuckton of work, yes yes, you're right, but that brings back to the central question: What do the authors get from having their translations translated?

Yes, they pay, even I'm currently being paid to translate an otomege (games, not novels) from Japanese to my language. But that is the whole thing, they DO NOT benefit from amateur translations. They hire professional translators to translate their stuff. So having amateur translators translating their stuff makes no difference, they can't use it.

So how exactly are authors being supported? You still haven't answered this central question.

20. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    I absolutely hate when people do this, but fine.

People are going to pirate anyway. Aggregators are going to exist. This is the internet, and this is how things work here. Welcome, glad to meet you, watch where you step. If you have any questions, google is your friend.

In much the same way DRM is not supposed to interfere with legitimate consumers while it fights the good fight, translations should not be hidden from the world to fight the good fight against aggregators. There are a dozen idioms for how backwards that is.

To the translator. To the author. To whoever the translator presents them with an easy donation button for. Maybe the translator can make it easy for them to buy books. Maybe they can collect donation money and feed it to the author themselves. If you want people to donate to the author, all you have to do is put your hat out. If you're not putting it out, don't expect anyone to toss coins at you.

I'd completely repeat the above paragraph, but I don't want to. Just look at that. This is what happens when you break things up - it forces me to repeat myself. Zzzz.

Attention. Fans. .. Look at @Qidian stepping in now that there is a solid fanbase here for their novels. How many more years do you think it would have taken for them to step forward on their own if fan translators hadn't been pushing so hard on this end? If so many translations weren't already well under way or even completed? Qidian being here means authors are going to start getting real support from the foundation these translators have been laying for a long time.

But lets set that aside. How about support from the fans that do buy books? How about gratification?

What do they lose from having their "translations [sic] translated?"

I actually kind of agree with this. Translation quality could go either way for a lot of sites around here. But y'know, you really shouldn't bash fan translators for not meeting your standards. Maybe the author can't commercially use their translations, but they still benefit from the foundation. Many people that read poor quality translations would jump at the opportunity to read a much better official version, if they ever got it. Especially if the fan translation is particularly bad...

So now we sum up all the little pieces that were unnecessarily broken up.

Authors are
    A. NOT SUPPORTED when you hide translations.
    B. NOT SUPPORTED when the translator doesn't hold out a hat.
    (Make it easy for people to support the author, don't make them climb mountains and cross seas. That shit isn't going to work.)
    C. NON-FINANCIALLY SUPPORTED by fan translations regardless.

Dupe2718 and runsing like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.