Question What is a ruler (weapon)?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by checkm8, Sep 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Do they call it something different where you live? These are rulers. In one Hong Kong comic about divine weapons, Shen Nong was said to carry a weapon called Shen Nong's Ruler which had actual measurements along the length. It looked like a single-edged blade without the actual edge and very straight with a 45 degree angle at the end of the edge side and 90 degree angle on the back side. It's made of green jade.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A mini replica of Shen Nong's Ruler
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  2. checkm8

checkm8 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well your ruler looks like a "square" to me. Do they call it differently where you live? The image below is a "plastic square". A square is normally used to verify "right" (aka 90 degree) angles. The process of verifying the angle is called "squaring"
    [​IMG]

3. Zaroz

Zaroz Existential Lurker Demonic Calamity

Reading List:
    Link
    I love how, even after 3 years, this image linking here shows up as the first google search result for 'ruler blunt weapon'...:blobrofl:
    ***Edit: PS:Sorry about the necro...

4. Random.poet

Random.poet Powered by Coffee

Reading List:
    Link
    I always thought it was a weapon that was created because after the change of eras in Japan, people were not allowed.to carry swords around at some point?? thanks for the info guys.

5. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ai chan is correct. snuffduck not so much....

that said the ruler in modern xianxia might mean different things, but the intent of authors using the word ruler referred to what ai chan said. in older animations/manhwa/comics, they did hold a ruler like those you'd use in school too

if u can find some pictures of the taoist gods, i'm sure you can see the "ruler" they wield as well

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.