Discussion What should I read?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by RTS, Aug 8, 2017.

?

Which novel should I read first?

1. I am really a Superstar

2. Main Character Hides His Strength

3. Warlock of the Magus World

4. Lord Xue Ying

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leo.d.

leo.d. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Legend of the sun king is funny light hearted and good. Lazy king is interesting but novel gets a bad rap for being different

Fooljastic and RTS like this.
  2. Shratath

Shratath Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    IRS = chinese readers says it started good but it became shit , repeated chapters etc (like most CN )
    I would suggest Lord Xue Ying, Main Character Hides his Strength (op mc very op, but now is learning magic but whe gotta hide his indetity after all he is called enemy of the world lol) and Wmw (well u have a cold evil mc who only thinks about immortality but dont worry he shows personality later)

RTS likes this.
  3. Seraphic

Seraphic Uncomfortably close

Reading List:
    Link
    Ooh, I really liked The Lazy King. A little bit open-ended, though, like the author was planning to write more but didn't.

Haven't read MCHS, but of the other three, I think Warlock is the best. The author's name is The Plagiarist, and you will see some, shall we say, "copyrighted" references, but it's actually pretty well done and the author adds their own perspective to things (the current arc is certainly...interesting, if you're a fan of a certain tabletop RPG). Most of the cliches in WMW exist to be mocked by the main character and lead to some of the funnier moments in the novel. Leylin gets a lot of flak for being a villain, but a large part of what makes it entertaining for me is watching his schemes pay off on the long run. He does have some sentimentality, but he's mostly too pragmatic to let it get in the way of his ambitions.

RTS likes this.
  4. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    IRS makes me sad. It starts out fairly well as a modern spin on xanxia/wuxia clans and relating them to office politics. Later on, though, the MC takes a larger stage and instead of office politics, it becomes international politics. That's when things get kind of cringe-y. You have the MC's clan, who are ultra-nationalist Chinese, against all the other clans, with each country being its own a clan. At that point, it just becomes a racist shitshow. Aside from that, the plot is really lame. It just keeps recycling the same sequence of events with the MC in a slightly different setting. It got old for me after a few story arcs. The good part about IRS is that it does a decent job of acquainting foreign readers with traditional Chinese literature. If you want a light peppering of Chinese lit with a heaping helping of racism, you might enjoy IRS. Also the MC basically rapes a couple women, so if that's not your thing, you might want to avoid IRS.

As for WMW, it's not bad. It starts off a little weak, in my opinion, but picks up steam until about halfway through the story. At that point, things got kind of stale for me, but I've heard it ends strong. And I agree that the title should be "AI Chip in a Magus World" since the MC is basically the human vessel that does whatever the AI chip commands. I was really hoping the AI chip would gain sentience and try to take over the world at some point in the story, but that doesn't seem to happen.

As for the other two, I've not read them and have no opinion.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    RTS likes this.
  5. Wobbly

Wobbly [Unstabbable][He Who Courts Death][Whimsical]

Reading List:
    Link
    try log horizon. both the anime and the novel. tate no yuusha is the shit in the beginning and shit at the end. slime tensei is awesome.

Logicsol and leo.d. like this.
  6. leo.d.

leo.d. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Log horizon is the best!!!

7. Risus

Risus ✵ Enigmatic Poet ✵ Tiger ✵ Reese's ✵

Reading List:
    Link
    If the MC was just a jerk, I could still deal with IRAS.. but the story itself is just sooo shitty *facepalms*

WMW is pretty good all in all and I haven't read the others, so I'll go with that. The character is a matter of taste, I suppose, but I found the cold logic relatively refreshing.

Read The Zombie Knight, it's a good story

RTS likes this.
  8. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    You should read I Am Really Lord Xue Ying, a Warlock of the Magus World Who Hides His Strength. :coffee:

Seraphic and RTS like this.
  9. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    I Only read main character hides his strength rnow and have dropped the other 3. So there goes my vote.

10. gorlax

gorlax Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I vote warlock cause it almost finish ,aybe 3 or 4 month.
    Main and then lord and for iras when it first out i barely can read it before i felt asleep

RTS likes this.
  11. RTS

RTS ☀┩ îИϑîℂ✞υƧ ɛӼքʊɢռǟȶօʀ┡☀

Reading List:
    Link
    I have already watched log horizon(both seasons) and read the novel as well but sadly,the novel got licensed...
    I will try reading your last recommendation(slime tensei).
    Thanks~

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    Delusional likes this.
  12. zh0lvin

zh0lvin Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like the fact that MC isn't an angel in WMW. The MC isn't naive. His alignment is neutral and he care only for his experimentations, his power and his magus/wizard level.

My only concern with this novel is... A.I. Chip is too overpowered:sweating_profusely:MC is cheating:sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely: He can't do this. This is immoral:D

RTS likes this.
  13. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    That isn't a very accurate description. First of all the MC is not a typical MC that has all cheats start of the story. The story just begins after he already became the strongest in the world, that is about it. But he has no "cheats" per say, he got to where he was with effort and taking huge risks.

Not to mention he doesn't pretend to be weak to roll over everyone. He made enemies with the entire world and mage guilds which banned him from ever learning magic. He needs magic to defeat the demon king who abandoned his body and took ethereal form. So he is hiding who he is to start from scratch and learn magic to defeat the demon king. Not to simply roll over everyone.

RTS likes this.
  14. Clyne

Clyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want faster update, then WMW is the right choice, but i still prefer I Eat Tomatoes novels

So if you ask my opinion, i still prefer Lord XueYing, after that, i will read WMW

RTS likes this.
  15. Wobbly

Wobbly [Unstabbable][He Who Courts Death][Whimsical]

Reading List:
    Link
    U can try arifureta too. Another option is boku wa isekai de fuyo mahou. It's really good if u don't mind a bit of 18+ mature stuff

RTS likes this.
  16. zentetsuken

zentetsuken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wanted to suggest a different story since I've read 2 of those 4 & both stale with 1 even became unbearable, its WMW & IRAS. The other 2, I heard LYX is a typical IET novel (which is good, not great not bad, good~), never read the last one.

I want to recommend the 2 latest translation project from WW, Godfalls & Lord of All Realm. Both shown promises to be as good as TTNH lower heaven arc.

RTS likes this.
  17. RTS

RTS ☀┩ îИϑîℂ✞υƧ ɛӼքʊɢռǟȶօʀ┡☀

Reading List:
    Link
    I will try to read both of them after I have completed reading Warlock of the Magus World.
    Thanks for the recommendations ~

Delusional likes this.
  18. Ko

Ko "The Corrupted Queen"

Reading List:
    Link
    I am really a Superstar is better I guess. (because I am a superstar)
    Main Character Hides His Strength is so so.

19. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want celebrity/star related novels
    Top Management
    I'm in Hollywood

but the racism urgh...

20. Ko

Ko "The Corrupted Queen"

Reading List:
    Link
    Welp racism is everywhere .. what can we even do about it? but the story is kinda okay ?

RTS likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.